Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
There are some fantastic posts here. I've learned much already. Big thanks to JJ and Coyote. Let me buy you guys a cyber-beer... or something.

GB1

264Win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
energy is computed by:
V^2*W/450400 is how some places state it
V^2*W/450200 in others
V^2*W/450250 in still others
V=Velocity in FPS
W=Weight in grains

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of Arms as the blackest"
-Gandhi

"The most foolish mistake we could make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms"
-Hitler
264Win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm (finally) catching on. This is what I understand
There are so many variables that even a signifigant change in SD means nothing unless the other variables are identical, which they never have been in the history of hunting. SD only means something when solids are being used and the difference in SD is fairly large.

Thank you all so much.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of Arms as the blackest"
-Gandhi

"The most foolish mistake we could make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms"
-Hitler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are catching on. SD is a tool that, like any other, can be abused and misused. Bullet construction is often a better indicator of penetration potential, but penetration isn�t necessarily the best indicator of how effective a bullet will be, either.

I�ve put 55g FMJ�s clear through a coyote with very unsatisfactory results. But a 40g Nosler BT (with lower SD) yields devastating results, even though there is often no exit wound. Barnes X bullets are known for their penetration, but my one experience with them was disappointing when compared to other bullets I�ve used. (That said, I�ve loaded up hunting rounds using the 115g TSX for my .257 Roberts., just haven�t tried them on game yet.)

You also have to consider the shot angle. Like many hunters, I prefer an exit wound. But I also like the bullet to expend most of its energy inside the animal rather than on the terrain behind it. In other words, I feel there is such a thing as excessive penetration. Since I refuse to take a �Texas heart shot�, I don�t need five or six feet of penetration. Given a head-on shot, I would like the bullet to do most of its work I the heart-lung cavity rather than in the stomach and intestines.

So, a partial list of factors to consider are bullet construction, weight, caliber, impact velocity, Then we need to add in the type of game; shot placement and angle; and whether or not the animal is at rest, fully adrenalized, or somewhere in-between. Then we can begin to predict how a bullet will perform.

Fortunately, generally speaking and with other factors the same, relatively heavy bullets of larger diameter generally provide more reliable results � which simplifies the selection process somewhat. For example, I�ll prefer any .338 cartridge over any .25 for use on elk. Will a .25 do it? Yes, but when heavy bones are encountered, the .338 has a definite advantage.

There�s an old adage about �use enough gun�. If a person is worrying about SD, chances are the gun he is using is marginal.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,783
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.