Hop To
#40032 03/20/01
C
Cazador Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Any experience? Seem to be great rifles, although some models on par with Weatherbys. Their site is <A HREF="http://www.hsprecision.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hsprecision.com</A>

GB1

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cazador,<P>There is a gun writer I have come across who is the real deal. No hyperbole, no BS, just what his actual expereinces are. He has an HS in 308. Of course, you do realize it is a push feed.........<P>The thing is very accurate. After 3000 rounds, he says his barrel still looks like new. <P>There were some minor problems. The ejector and trigger needed a little gunsmithing, but he thinks that was an anomoly to his particular rifle. I guess it's also somewhat easy to accidently drop the magazine out. Also, if the magazine well gets dirty, the magazine can become sticky (no suprise there).<P>HS recently did a 10000 round test on one of these rifles. Started out shooting 1/4" groups, and maintained 1/2" groups well past the 5000 round mark.<P>They seem to be a very accurate and reliable rifle. The reason I haven't bought one is because I can have one built exactly how I like it for less money, and the HS isn't exactly how I like my rifles.<P>Blaine

C
Cazador Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
lol AFP, its only shortcoming!! Seriously, I dont have a problem with push as long as its a paper puncher. I was suprised that they had long actions for 338 lapua. Dont know if I will get one, but I really like their stocks, and their modified remington action <P>

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think their stocks are junk, and my experience with their customer service was poor... their barrels have a very good reputation though, as does their smithing. I have a friend with a Rem 700 (formerly a 30-06) that had HS re-build it into a 340 Wby, Sako extractor, etc... shoots like a varminter.<P>Brad

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
What is the price range for one of the Hunter models? Just a ball park?

Work Hard, Play Hard, Die Hard!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cazador, I do not know anyone personally who owns one, however rifleman and writer Jon Sundra owns a few and features some tidbits about them in his hunting articles. The ones that are usually featured are his DG rifles which are H-S Precision PHR rifles. Both are chamberd in .375; one is the JRS 375 and the other is the 375 Ultra. The Ultra is set up for the wider longer Jeffery based cartridges like the Lapua and Rigby. The action looks like a modified mauser with some weight shaved and the famous 3 position safety. The drop magazine on the larger chambered actions protrudes beyond the stock (looks a little odd). He also has a nice H-S Precision 6mm Rem for prarie goats. <P>I have always been led to believe their stocks are their bread and butter, but Brad has offered up his take and he has experience with them where as I do not. Remington's Sendero, VS and VLS wear the H-S stocks. I believe they are all aluminum bedded. <P>The price of an action alone is around $950.00. A completed rifle starts at around $1800.00 and escalates depending on model. Finishes are typically stainless or hunter teflon coated stainless. <P>The barrels utilize cut rifling and 416R stainless steel. I'm not sure if cut rifling is the ticket or button rifling. About half the top barrel manufactures are split in their usage. I know Shilen uses button and hand lapping, while H-S goes with cut rifling, claiming it insures better uniformity, accuracy and barrel life. Blaine would have a better take on this subject than I, as he has a significant amount of experience with building precision rifles. <P>I believe button rifling does require significant hand lapping to gain uniformity. The lapping process is said to round the corners on the lands and thus reduce the life of the barrel (maybe, maybe not?). Button rifling forces the steel into the lands and grooves without cutting steel from the inside of the bore, the pressure alone from the button process re-positions the steel.<P>Blaine, I would be interested on your take regarding button vs. cut rifling. I see Kreiger, Hart, PacNor and Douglas offering their products touting one or the other. I guess it really matters what your usage would be, hunter or benchrester. Take Care ~rossi~

Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For whatever it's worth. I have an HS Precision stock. I don't have any problems with it and never have. I have it on a Ruger M77 MKII 300 win mag. I have another Ruger 300 win mag with the factory walnut stock. I can shoot the factory stocked one about dozen or so times before the recoil starts to bother me. I can shoot the one with the HS Precision stock all day.<P>Best of luck....Cag

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Remington Sendero, equipped w/ the HS kevlar composite stock. No complaints here. I also know several people there, and I can't imagine the customer service to be bad. <P>Brad, do you go to school in Bozeman? I do, maybe we've seen each other around.<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>God Bless and Shoot Straight

God Bless and Shoot Straight
I have two rifles with HS-Precision stocks, both are easy to shoot with very little perceived recoil. One is a 7mm STW and the other is a .338 Win Mag. I have nothing but good to say about their stocks. Good shooting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 14,909 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,173
Posts18,543,057
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.