Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

What kind of accuracy do you guys get with factory standard Mini-14s?

I own a Ruger Mini-14. It carries a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40 scope. Yes, it's an old Vari-X II, not a VX-II.

I've been told by several people that Mini-14s are not very accurate and OK I believe it. I don't expect to shoot MOA groups with this rifle, but this is ridiculous. It shoots patterns that are 12" or larger at 100 yards.

Don't blame it on the shooter. I can shoot MOA groups with several other rifles that I own.

I have checked the rings and they are tight. If it was a lesser scope, I would guess that the reticle is loose, but it's a Leupy. I suppose that even a good scope could get damaged, so my next test will be to remove the scope and see how it shoots with iron sights.

What do you guys think?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
5 inch groups at 100 yards was typical with mine with surplus 55 grain ammo. I was able to get 3 MOA out of it by using premium 55 grain bullets and loading them down to around 2700 fps,..but 12" groups sound excessive.

I'd suspect the scope.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
they'll hold minute of barn. never shot one that was what I'd consider real accurate

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Dittos on the scope/mount. I'm not a fan, but as it's what we're issued I use one.

Head shots on the new, smaller, "Q" target are a non-issue with any of the ones we have with irons.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine did some better than a foot with a scope on it. About four five inches best I remember. Haven't had it for several years now as I gave it to one of my kids who wanted it.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got rid of the one I had for that reason.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'd like to hear some reports on the new version with the heavier, short barrel.

I'd buy one if it would consistently group into 2.5 MOA with surplus ammo.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone tried the newer, alledely more accurate series of mini - 14s. Ruger stopped prodcution awhile back, and changed the barrel, gas system, and now says it is much impored. Experiences?

1B

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was going to say minute of pie plate.Accuracy is not their selling point.They are dependable,though. Lightman

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had an early one, 181 series, that would shoot 50 gr. Speer bullets three under a inch over the hood of my pickup. Would shoot inch and a half or real close, with every thing I tried in it. Long story short, I sold it and am now sorry. Some of em will shoot right out of the box.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a fairly proven design. Wonder why so inaccurate? Barrel? lock up, bedding? Looks like they could and should be more accurate. Should shoot with an AR. Why not?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KC

What kind of accuracy do you guys get with factory standard Mini-14s?

I own a Ruger Mini-14. It carries a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40 scope. Yes, it's an old Vari-X II, not a VX-II.

I've been told by several people that Mini-14s are not very accurate and OK I believe it. I don't expect to shoot MOA groups with this rifle, but this is ridiculous. It shoots patterns that are 12" or larger at 100 yards.

Don't blame it on the shooter. I can shoot MOA groups with several other rifles that I own.

I have checked the rings and they are tight. If it was a lesser scope, I would guess that the reticle is loose, but it's a Leupy. I suppose that even a good scope could get damaged, so my next test will be to remove the scope and see how it shoots with iron sights.

What do you guys think?

KC

The new ones have heavier barrels, and are said to produce greater accuracy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
mini 14..and accuracy?....hope you weren't hopin for them being in the same conversation....

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Always liked the look, concept and feel -- but never bought one due to the accuracy issue.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
there is something wrong with your scope or mounts.

My mini shoots 2 MOA groups all day long with a Vortex Strikefire red dot sight, and equally as well with the factory irons.

Sam......

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have owned probably 6 Mini-14's over the years, plus a Ranch Rifle in .222 and a Mini-30. Although I did scope several of them, none of them were accurate enough to justify keeping a scope on it. Basically they could be relied upon to hit a man-size target out to about 150 yards or so. The best one shot groups of about 5" at 100 yards and the worst one was about 10" at 100. The good thing about them was that I can not recall ONE malfunction of any kind with ANY of them in maybe a total of 8,000 rounds or more (using 5, 20 and 30 rd. Ruger magazines..most aftermarket mags are crap), even with ammo that gave trouble in AR-15's. They always go bang.

The accuracy problems are usually identified as a barrel that is too light, and that also is of poor quality. The light barrel flexes at its mid point upon firing, due to the influence of the heavy reciprocating operating rod assembly against the gas block. The barrels supposedly are turned down to the light profile too fast during manufacture and tend to warp when they get hot. That's the conventional wisdom, anyway.

The new Mini's have much better barrels that are heavier in profile, especially near the gas block. I have examined them in gun stores and they are indeed stiffer looking than the earlier models were. Also, I understand they are manufactured a bit more carefully. The reports I have seen claim decent accuracy...maybe 2 MOA or better with an exceptional specimen. Haven't shot one myself.

There are things you can do to an older Mini to make it shoot better. For example, there are struts that can be attached to the barrel and gas block that limit the barrel flex problem. The 3 struts I am aware of are the Accu-Strut, Mo-Rod and the Har-Bar. Also, you can install a smaller bushing in the gas block to soften the operation of the action.

I have a Mini that I carried for years as a patrol rifle. I was always underwhelmed by its accuracy, but impressed by its reliability. I eventually put on a Hogue stock, a set of Millet sights, had the barrel recrowned and still suffered with accuracy of about 6 to 8 inch groups at 100 yards.

I put an Accu-Strut on it and the accuracy improved to about 2 1/2 to 3 MOA with iron sights. It would certainly do a little better with a scope.

The first group I shot with it after installing the strut was 2.79":

[Linked Image]

I don't have a photo handy of the complete strut, but here is a partial look at it:

[Linked Image]

I am planning to sell it because my eyes are getting bad for use with iron sights. If anyone is interested, we could work out a fair deal.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/17/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trade it in on a Decent Heavy barreled AR-15 with a good trigger. Been down your road and it is not a good one. Fixing up a mini 14 is akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Tell me you didn't trade that 06 CDL for a mini-14...... eek

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
they'll hold minute of barn.

And that would be from the inside?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 183 series GB Mini-14 that with PMC FMJ, Win. FMJ, and Win. PSP, shoots 1 1/2" at 100 yards, when I do my part.

I've killed coyotes out at 200 yards and ground squirrels at farther distance than that, using a K4x Weaver 'scope.

Works for me.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10gaugemag, akrange, 13 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,939
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.