Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by David_Walter
OK, someone mentioned a code for 40% off on the go-lite site.

Please PM me with the code so I can pull the trigger on a Sangrila 4 with a clear conscience.

Or just post it here laugh

Been teedering on an SL4... Put all the toys on hold until after the deevorce finalizes (sorry EdT, I got your PM, your killin me...)

But 40% off.... Thats hard to pass up...

Sorry. The code is BCORP09

just type in when you go to check out.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great read fellas. I am going with the Go Lite Shangra-la 5 and a woodburner. Trying to stay in the 5 lb total weight range. Here is a pic of one. Ordering mine next week, then I will install a Titanium goat stove jack, and I am still researching stoves. This pic shows one with the nest(mesh full size interior, which I will only use in the midwest and Canada for warm weather skeeter/black fly protection), Out west, and in the cold, the SL 5 will be floorless and a single wall.

[Linked Image]

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have the same attitude as dryfly. I don't like tents without floors. I started camping in the early '50s and went on my first backpack trip in 1959. The options that are available today were not around then. We used military surplus shelter halfs to make pup tents. Two shelter halfs snap together and each person carried a small sectional tent pole and a few stakes. In the process you quickly discover that rain drains into the tent and rolling around in the mud is unpleasant. We eventually traded the pup tents for large open tarps hung to form an "A" frame.

Today my go-to single man shelter is a Black Diamond One Shot like the photo in dryfly's post. It weighs about the same as my old first-generation bivouac bag and has more room.

Moisture will condense on the inside of single wall tents unless you have a wood burning heater stove. Since they weigh less, you can carry a larger tipi tent which weighs the same as a smaller double-wall tent. But the weight of the stove makes the total package heavier.

The subject of which type of tent to use finally boils down to wether or not you want a wood burning heater stove.

Here's a photo of a North Face VE-25. Obviously a wood burning stove would have been useless in this situation. The VE-25 is old technology by today's standards because it weighs over nine pounds.

[Linked Image]

Here's another situation where a wood burner would have been superfluous weight.

[Linked Image]

The Hilleberg Jannu is a genuine "bombproof" mountaineering assault tent, 2-man, 4-season, double wall with a floor and it weighs less than six pounds. I costs over $700 but that's less than the total cost of a medium size Siltarp tipi tent plus a stove.

http://www.climbers-shop.com/2364167/products/Hilleberg_Jannu_Tent.aspx

Here's some photos of other camps that I have setup over the years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Hubba Hubba.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just scaled out the footprint of a Golite SL3 in my driveway with chalk. I drug a couple of sleeping bags and a parastove out there and laid them on the footprint with the stove in the middle. It would be a palace for one with gobs of firewood room. It looks adequate for two men with packs and rifles but not a huge amount of room for wood. It is smallish but that means light with a small footprint so finding a campsite might be easier in some areas. I think I'm going to order one.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KC

Here's a photo of a North Face VE-25. Obviously a wood burning stove would have been useless in this situation. The VE-25 is old technology by today's standards because it weighs over nine pounds.

[Linked Image]

KC, that photo gives me a smile... Tua skis no less!

My VE24 that I got in 1979 is still going strong (including smell!). It's definitely not "new technology" but it's still bombproof.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad:

My VE-25 is still as strong as ever. I use as a base camp sleeper tent now. Unless I can get someone else (like a horse) to carry it.

I still use the TUAs for back country backpack skiing. They're better than snow shoes when wearing climbing skins.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
How about the Vaude Scrotum?Im waiting on one at the moment but from what i have heard and seen then this could be the future.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I was aware that the SuperTarp with the annex gives better stove placement at the front-which I've heard is the major drawback from the ParaTipi.

But doesn't the annex attach with either safety pins or velcro?? If so, that does not seem like a dependable system for a potential life saving shelter.

I sat through a fairly windy storm in one a few weeks ago with no problems other than wondering if the pipe directly behind my head was going to act as a lightning rod. smile The cut your own poles and stakes for the super works well and saves a fair amount of weight. In the case of the cutting my own stakes, that is a much better idea for my area than commercial pegs since it always seemed they were never long enough to get through to something solid enough to hold anyway.

I prefer floorless shelters after trying them. In the past I would always wake up in a puddle of condensed breath/sweat trapped by a sealed floor, but now at least *some* of it ends up at the tarp edges. You will get a certain amount of wet from the condensation on the walls if you bump something against the walls (or during wind/rain events,) but I got that with tents anyway. If you bring a dog along the floorless is great since there is no floor for toenails to destroy and you can get in as wet and muddy as you want and you don't end up laying in it at some point. Insects seem to be taken care of by lightweight bug nets and mosquito coils. If you have a ladies/kids that will not go floorless (but you will) the ShangriLa + nest set up looks like it would be a great idea.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There's two problems with floorless tents here in north Louisiana: (1) mud, because if it isn't raining it's about to rain; and (2) snakes. The one shown below was maybe 15 feet from my tent.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have loads of copperheads up here and that is a concern, but not sure how much safety a few thousandths of nylon will provide considering the amount of time I used to end up against the side of a smaller backpacking tent. If leaving the tarp set up for the day I do tend to roll bags and mats up and flip stuff over before getting back in though. Risk versus benefits roll of the dice kind of thing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Then you need to be in a hammock, it doesn't have a floor either

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JasonB
We have loads of copperheads up here and that is a concern, but not sure how much safety a few thousandths of nylon will provide .....
There's a big difference between a snake forcing its way through a nylon wall and simply slipping its nose under a nylon wall. I'll stick with floors.

PS: plus, we have copperheads, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and coral snakes.

Last edited by Junior1942; 04/17/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't meaning forcing it's body through the tent wall which would be near impossible without a tear, but simply nailing you through the wall which I used to almost inevitably be rolled up against during the night.

We do have some rattlesnakes, water moccasins in western KY (some small lake/pond over there is claimed to have the highest concentration per acre in the US,) and the coral snakes are an interesting thing. Never seen one, never known anyone personally that has claimed seeing one, but a book put out by either the WPA or CCC back in the 30s-40s listed that as a snake that could be found in KY although I have never seen that listed as a possible anywhere else.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,641
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.