Hop To
#40100 03/25/01
C
Cazador Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am looking for a good variable powerlong range scope incorporating Mil Dot and illuminated recticle technology to put on a 338-378 Weatherby. Right now I am looking at the 6-20X56 offered by Springfield Armory. I dont see any Leupolds that are quite what I am looking for, but maybe I am overlooking something.<P>Also, whats the low-down on how to mount a scope on a heavy hitter like this. Doesnt seem right to drop a couple C notes only to knock the rings loose <P>thankyou,<P>Chris

GB1

C
Cazador Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Also what about the Tasco Tactical long range in the following powers<P>8-40X56<BR>10-50X56<BR>12-60X56<BR>

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cazador,<BR>Steer clear of the Tasco stuff.Your boomer will make short play of them.<BR>The Springfield armoury scopes aren't bad but there is better for just a bit more.<BR>Look at the Leupold LR series(M1,M3 etc.)<BR>with the illuminated Mil-dot reticle.<BR>Chris at SWFA on the optics board can hook you up proper.<BR>As for rings and bases Badger,and Light optical are outstanding but pricey.<BR>Burris signature double dovetail rings and bases are just too economical and bitchin' to ignore.They work!<BR>Get an insert set to adjust for adjustability of impact within your expected range of distance.Then forget about them...like it should be.<BR>Cheers!!!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
C
Cazador Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks alot E4E, they showed a Tasco on a Bennelli 50 BMG so I though that it could take it! Thanks for the info.

C
Cazador Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks alot E4E, they showed a Tasco on a Bennelli 50 BMG so I though that it could take it! Thanks for the info.

IC B2

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cazador,<BR>Tasco made a scope for the US Navy spec ops boys for use on their Barrets 50's.<BR>Unfortunately they didn't cut the mustard and the armourers just dug out the old Leupold MK4's that have been working for so long anyway.<BR>Lowest bidder isn't always the wise choice in the long haul.<BR>Big boomers are hard on optics,and sooner or later every scope will succumb to the abuse.<BR>That's when it's nice to have a Leupold or Burris that will be back in your hands in a couple weeks good as new for the cost of shipping one way.<BR>The others will require another investment.<BR>Just as a fer example.<BR>The M8 4X on my T/C Black Diamond was purchased new in 87 for $225.00.<BR>It has sat on 2 .338's,2 .22's,2 12 ga slug guns,1 .375H&H,a .44Carbine,and now a .50 cal that shoots 150gr of pyrodex pellets.<BR>it has been through hell and back,the finish is scratched and gouged.Black powder fouling has erroded the finish on the bottom side.<BR>It has seen several thousand rounds.<BR>It's still clear as a bell and still moves .25 per indicated increment,and then dosn't move untill adjusted again.<BR>On the other hand I do have a dozen or so lesser scopes about the house that have betrayed me and I just can't bring myself to toss them because of the investment they represent.<BR>Cry once and get it over with.Buy on the cheap and cry at regular intervals.<BR>Besides.Why put cheap discount tires on a Ferrari???<BR>I have a gunwriter buddy that is very high on nightforce NSX scopes.Although I trust his judgement I have not had enough first hand experience with the Nightforce scopes.<BR>US Optics makes good stuff as well,but require a second mortgage to afford one.<BR>Whatever you do let us know how it works out.<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E<BR><P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!<BR>http://home.intekom.com/upfront/cost.htm

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Caz,<P>I have a Schmidt & Bender 4 to 16 X 50 (34mm tube) PM scope with mil dot reticle on my 300 win mag. It is my long range deer rifle (out to 650 yards, so far). It does not have the illuminated reticle that you speak of. It "is" the best scope I have ever seen for light gathering and utilization (then again I haven't seen EVERY scope made). It is not at all eye critical, crisp and clear as all get out. It has a magnifying reticle (either you love em or hate em, I love em) which means the distance between the dots are the same at all powers unlike those brands that don't have the magnifying reticles which are only "correct" at one power setting. I have all my elevation adjustments worked out to 650 yards by shooting at all the various distances. I see a deer, range find it, set the elevation, get steady (as steady as I can) and squeeze. In the past 3 years I have killed 5 deer with that rifle at yardages of 75, 250, 388, 380, and 420 and it worked great. The 250 yard kill was in 1999 and the deer was on a dead run across a field. <P>Good luck and good hunting, Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (673, 1936M71, 450yukon, 2ndwind, 45_100, 18 invisible), 15,372 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,898
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.