Print Thread
Hop To
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you have remained on the sidelines, or were uninvolved in the debate - up till now - the time to act is now!

If you are represented in Ottawa - by a Liberal MP - and you don't act now - you'll have no one to blame - but yourself.

I am represented by a pro-gun rights Conservative in Ottawa (thankfully!) but if I weren't, and I had a Liberal MP, I would tell them they are going to loose my support in the next election if they go through with this. Better yet - I'd threaten to join the Conservative Party of Canada - and work to defeat any Liberal politician running in Canada.

Here't the article.

It outlines the Liberal Party's contempt for gun owners - by not allowing MP's to vote with their conscience - on a private member's bill. It shows how bleak gun-owners futures will be if the Liberals ever get back in power.

Please do something - get involved!

Here's the article:

Ignatieff cracks whip on gun registry:

Michael Ignatieff plans to whip his caucus to vote against a controversial Conservative bill to abolish the long-gun registry. MPs who do not vote with him will be punished.

Usually, MPs are allowed to vote their conscience on private member�s bills but this one is different � it has caused much consternation and embarrassment for the Liberals.

�Let me be perfectly clear: the Liberal Party opposes the Conservatives� effort to scrap the gun registry altogether and we will vote against the Hoeppner bill a third reading in the House of Commons,� the Liberal Leader told the Canadian Police Association today at their annual general meeting in Ottawa.

Mr. Ignatieff was referring to the private member�s bill by Manitoba Tory MP Candice Hoeppner to abolish the long-gun registry. It is not clear when exactly it will be coming back for third reading.

Last year, eight Liberals voted against Mr. Ignatieff and with government MPs to support Ms. Hoeppner�s bill. The Liberal votes helped it pass through the Commons and on to committee.

It was highly embarrassing for the Liberals. Under Jean Chr�tien, they had brought in the registry � spending much political capital in the process � as part of their support of gun control.

Mr. Ignatieff and some of his senior MPs had pleaded with their caucus not to support the Conservative MP�s bill. But their entreaties fell on deaf ears.

After the November vote, Mr. Ignatieff told his caucus he may reconsider allowing MPs to vote their conscience on such issues as the Tories effectively used a private member�s bill to divide the Liberal caucus.

Mr. Ignatieff has had trouble with discipline in his caucus. This year, some of his MPs voted against or abstained from a Liberal motion on the G8 maternal health initiative. The motion was defeated; it was more egg in the face for the Liberals.

In his speech today, meanwhile, Mr. Ignatieff laid out what a Liberal government would do about the long-gun registry. He said program is supported by police groups but �it would be wrong to ignore the frustration and legitimate concerns that we have heard about the gun registry, particularly from rural Canada.�

Indeed, the Liberal Party is increasingly becoming an urban party; it is trying to come up with policies to attract rural voters.

Given that, Mr. Ignatieff, says a Liberal government would not scrap the registry but a first-time failure to register firearms would be treated as a �non-criminal, ticketing offence.� Currently, it is a criminal offence. The Liberals would permanently eliminate fees for new licenses, renewals and upgrades and they would streamline the paperwork.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian, I agree everyone needs to get active on this one. My MP is a Conservative as are the ridings on either side of me. Trying to influence a Liberal who is outside my riding is nearly impossible but still worth a try. I live east of Toronto and that is an enclave difficult to bring onside. Probably the MP's most susceptible to pressure are those who are outside the urban areas. If even a few of those MP's could be swayed to buck the party line it could make all the difference.

Jim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He shows contempt for more than just gun owners IMHO. Time and again, Canadians, regardless of gun ownership have been questioning the reasoning of the registry. Now the Lib Party leader is ordering Lib MP's to vote his wishes, not the wishes of thier constituents on a Private Members Bill, which tradtion states that these are free votes.

In exchange he will drop the fees relating to gun ownership. So, who the devil will pay for this change on top of the billions wasted on the registry? Canadians of course, the same ones who have been screwed time and again by lib policy.

I too have a pro gun Conservative MP. Do MP's listen to non constituents? You can bet I will try. This is another sad day to be Canadian. Non-Democracy at its best! I hope and pray that the 8 Libs who supported the 2nd reading will follow through and vote thier constituents as well as that the NDP MPs who voted in favour continue to follow through.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What is needed is to adopt Robert Schad's tactics that enabled him to stop the spring bear hunt in Ontario.

Billionaire Schad threatened to use his money to threaten to buy buy TV ads in close swing ridings so as give the Liberals a majority. Hunters in strong Tory ridings need to raise money at DU type auctions and use it to buy TV in ridings where the Liberals are weak.

Remember who the Liberal party inner circle are. They are men like Maurice Strong (interchangeable and probably leader of the UN's anti-gun initiative) who is now holed up in China (and working with convicted George Soros) because it appears he wants to avoid questioning in regards to the UNs oil for food scandal.

They are men like Paul Martin who net sources say was a partner with mass murderer Saddam Hussein in a company an oil company called Cordex. Martin announced that he as going to ban handguns in Canada just before he was thrown out of office.

Its men like former Prime Minister Jean Cretien who failed to lay charges against Russian spy Hugh Hambleton when he was Trudeau's Minister of Justice.

Their $$ supporters are billionaire environmentalists like Robert Schad whose injection moulding machines have driven tne destruction of the world's oceans with nary a word of protest from their environmentalist employees like David Suzuki.

The federal Liberal party of Canada is an evil institution and it has to die.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
do you know when the vote for the C-391 will occur ?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have an NDP MP contact them as well, with a carrot and stick approach.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Liberals banner is now "What do immigrants and minorities want".
PC banner "hang on hang on until it blows over"
NDP banner"take money away from all them rich people/companies even if they got off their asses and invested and worked for it"

I don't see to much for the gun toting folk, they're on the back burner and have been for a long time.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by n007
If you have an NDP MP contact them as well, with a carrot and stick approach.

i should try with our lovely liberal one too ...!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see those freedom loving rights defenders, Canada's Chiefs of Poice are at it again. Why don't they just shut up a go after some bad guys.

Police unite to defend long-gun registry
Last Updated: Thursday, May 6, 2010 | 4:45 PM ET Comments390Recommend84CBC News
Three national police associations came together for the first time on Parliament Hill Thursday to defend the long-gun registry.

The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, the Canadian Police Association and the Canadian Association of Police Boards are in Ottawa to present a united front against the Conservative government's bill to scrap the registry.

"This should not be about us versus them. Or rural versus urban, or even police versus politicians," said Charles Momy, who is the president of the Canadian Police Association, which represents rank-and-file officers.

"The firearms registry represents a valuable tool in assisting police in doing their job. It is a valuable tool, which has significant preventative and investigative value in keeping our communities safe."

The groups say perceptions about the registry are dated and full of misconceptions. They say while it got off to a bad start years ago, it now costs taxpayers just $4 million a year.

The Conservatives countered with their own news conference in Ottawa with retired members of a Winnipeg SWAT team.

Jack Tinsley is a former officer who described a recent example of an officer who was shot.

"He was shot in the line of duty by a drug dealer who had no firearms licence with a shotgun that was not registered. The long-gun registry provided nothing to prevent this tragedy."

The Conservatives argue that police are actually divided on the issue and that those within the forces who oppose the registry are being muzzled.

Victim's group protests
A victim's group protested on the lawn of Parliament Hill, lighting candles and reading the names of the women killed in the Montreal Massacre at �cole Polytechnique in 1989.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff joined them.

"We can't understand how a law and order party doesn't get that and doesn't stand with the police on this," Ignatieff said.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson countered: "When people look at our criminal law legislation, I think people are quite pleased we're standing up for victims and law-abiding Canadians."

Opposition MPs are not united on the issue, as the bill has already passed second reading in the House of Commons, with the help of eight Liberal MPs and 12 NDP MPs.

Ignatieff has promised to lessen the penalties for not registering a gun and will drop the registration fee if his MPs defeat the bill.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/06/long-gun-debate.html#ixzz0nFrRdYpF

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
are they talking about a knife registry ???? lol ...

http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/legal01-eng.htm

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bunch of flippen morons.
People don't stand with the police on this issue because, all the police I talked too, don't want to stand by their Chiefs who if don't tow the line will be out of a job. Chiefs are being pressured to be political and on the long gun registry agenda.
People are not happy about this and want the long gun registry removed totally.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how is Ignatif going to lower penalties if he's not in power and never will be ,,only thing he is is an arseole mad

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Penalties -my arse WTF does he thing this is NHL hockey?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,998 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,313
Posts18,526,306
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.