Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
So this was on another well known forum....and seems to evoke some emotion from both sides;

Non-native and non indigenous aside....

Are there ANY animals that are hunted in this area that occur there naturally although maybe reintroduced?

I dont need a diatribe comparing the Texas hunting for exotics etc...can anyone answer the question?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
According to the highly respected field guide by Jonathan Kingdon (one of the top African biologists) game animals native to the Eastern Cape and still there include:

bush pig
Cape bushbuck
Cape kudu
blue duiker
Cape grysbok
klipspringer
Vaal rhebok
mountain reedbuck

Unfortunately, some game ranches in the E. Cape have brought in greater kudu from further north, mostly to provide longer horns for trophy hunters.

Animals that once existed (or might have existed) in the E. Cape but were wiped out, and now have been at least partially restored by replanting are:

Cape eland
bontebok and blesbok
black wildebeest

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thank you for your reply and citing a reference!

Good info....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dinsdale,

I could go into a long diatribe about the animals that people routinely hunt around the world that aren't indigenous to the area. Heck, what would there be to hunt in New Zealand if it wasn't for introduced game? Just because something was transplanted doesn't mean it is easy.

As long as you know the deal and have fun then I would not worry about it. Good luck and I'm looking forward to a hunting report and photos.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
at the moment the problems the Cape has with wart-hogs are so many, that experts say wart-hogs will not be under control again in our life time.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
CharlesL,

I am the one going to the EC. One well known afric PH here on this site has been doing some serious Chit talking about me not killing native animals. He has taken it upon himself to "educate me" when I never asked his position, opnion, or for his two cents. JJ Hack decided to tell me how I was getting my hunt for so cheap because I was hunting non-native animals. I couldnt care less and never asked him for what he thought of my safari, for all I could care he could pound sand. (JJ you hear that?)

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
CharlesL,

I am the one going to the EC. One well known afric PH here on this site has been doing some serious Chit talking about me not killing native animals. He has taken it upon himself to "educate me" when I never asked his position, opnion, or for his two cents. JJ Hack decided to tell me how I was getting my hunt for so cheap because I was hunting non-native animals. I couldnt care less and never asked him for what he thought of my safari, for all I could care he could pound sand. (JJ you hear that?)

Honestly not trying to stir up $hit....but this seems to come up from time to time.

And few ever have really answered the question at hand....I have no issue with JJ Hack and how he runs his business and I think its fine he gives his opinion and always hope to learn something new.I happen to agree that its fun to go from area to area to chase what's found there.I have done so to the best I could so far, but I did take a fine Black Wildebeest in Namibia that was one fun HUNT.To say it wasn't a true hunt is a farse,as targeting a lone bull on an unfenced property was a damn good time for a few days.

Sometimes it justs sounds like sour grapes that there is "NO" hunting in the EastCape that is fair chase;for any animals. And characterising it as a shoot not a hunt;because they are non-indigenous; just adds to that impression for me.

Another poster here is also to embark on his first Africa trip(we have never met,but he lives in a town close to me)....also to the EC.He's going with a fine outfitter who I have not had the pleasure to hunt with,but have talked too on occasion.I wish both of you(and anyone else) good hunting regardless of the species taken.

I think you will both find Africa to an addicting journey....and one that will lead to a desire to return many times.

Last edited by dinsdale; 04/18/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JJ has strong opinions on this subject and everybody is entitled to their opinions. He can also be a wealth of practical information. He was also the outfitter on my first safari which I was very pleased with. There are also people on this board and others that have strong opinions on hunting South Africa in general. I go where best fits me and my budget and don't let them bother me.

I depart for South Africa May 13th and believe me I won't be thinking about those that would rain on my parade. smile I have Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Nyala, Bushbuck, Springbok, Zebra, and Blesbok on the wish list.

Last edited by CharlesL; 04/18/10.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Casey, go and have a great time. You judge the hunt for yourself, the rest is trivial. Everyone can have their opinion. One of our favorite animals to hunt across this nation is the non-native wild boar. I love hunting them.

Last edited by ursus148; 04/18/10.

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule deer has pointed out as I have exactly what this topic includes as factual information.

Hunt what you wish where you wish. I have no dog in the fight. It does seem as though now you have booked this and have some buyers remorse after learning the facts.

Your posting on lots of websites making me to be the bad guy in this, when all I did was answer the questions asked, and pointed out that there are very few indigenous species in the EC.

If you choose to go hunt all the typical plains game in Africa in a location they have never been natuallry then that is your choice. It's probably a good one for you. Why my opinion of your hunt worries you is curious. Only one thing comes to mind. You did not research this until too late, and now you're probing for other posters to make you feel good about the choice. Nobody can make you feel good about this. It should only matter to you. It's only what you want and what your dreams are. If this is what makes you happy why are you dwelling on what I told you? If you don't care about my opinion why are you posting this on so many forums?

If your only concern is to go shoot animals in Africa who cares what I have pointed out or what Mule deer posted above. Go for it neither of us matter in your life, go have fun enjoy it. My goodness I have not said a word about this in months on this forum or any other forum............... Why would you drag it up again now? trying to justify this in your mind with support from other members I guess. It certainly makes no difference to me! I've experienced buyers remorse plenty in my life I recognize the issue right from the start.

Especially when it starts out " My buddy is saying...... "
Yeah right your "buddy". Like anything starting out with that statement has credibility! Why not just come clean and say :

Hi my name is casey and I have booked a hunt int he EC. Tell me now whether this was a good idea to hunt for natural wild game God placed there, Or am I going to hunt farmed game on a put and take operation" Gee no surprise to that answer. if it seems to good to be true on the price Guess what!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Good night, you're bringing this up here too and AGAIN!?!?!?

I replied over at AR as if I was responding to a mature adult, but may need to reconsider.

Dude, get over it. Go enjoy your hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My point exactly, he's trying to sell himself the idea by getting feedback from a bunch of folks from different websites that he does not even know.

This after the topic has been dead for a couple months? I didn't bring it up on even one of these sites, However I was emailed the links by several people that came across them.

Getting the AR crowd to pile on to one guy is no stretch. It's what happens there every week!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Casey,

There are alot of guys on this forum, AR and others with a wealth of knowledge! In my opinion JJ is one of those guys! I have never hunted with him, but believe what he says to be true.
I have followed this spat for some time and have remained quiet. Listen, for the most part we as posters are inexperienced in most things concerning Africa, optics or anything else, but collectively with the entire forums resources we are a wealth of knowledge. If you booked a trip to the EC full well knowing what that hunt consisted of then there is nothing to worry about. However, if you were mis-informed by a friend or the outfitter and JJ is the one that broke the news to you then that is tragic to say the least! I love Africa and what she has to offer! When I go hunting there or anywhere I dont need confirmation from others on if I had a good time or not. Dont worry about what others think or post if you are happy with your decision! I have never been to the EC nor do I have a desire to go, but if I did I am sure I would have a good time. I have no problem with you or anyone else going to the EC there is a tremendous value there! I only have a problem when anything is advertised 7 or 10 animals in 7 days, makes me wonder how they can do that. Enjoy your trip, and take lots of pics! You can ignore everything I said too, except for the have fun part!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think Mule Deer nailed the original question...

JJ, Your spot on in your posts about AR..

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hell, i am local and i didn't even know there is a spat like this going on. remember for all the problems we have in africa we are pretty laid back and relaxed as well as the best hunters in the world(lol). remember locals don't hunt with a ph. we have to fend for ourselves. but to see you getting into a fight over which animal belongs where is childish. the essence is on the experience not what was where 500 years ago. come here have a beer and relax. F other people. if any one pitches here to hunt the last people to complain will be us the local hunters.

what is the first and foremost item you must bring along to survive africa and enjoy it???? the newest fastest gun? the best scope? the most expensive clothes?? NO!!!! the most important thing is a healthy sense of humor and combine that with humility and common sense and you are guaranteed a fantastic adventure.

the tension i see here wont fly in africa. oh and remember don't hug your ph, we tend to have an opinion on grown men hugging each other in the isolated bush.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 04/19/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
When I was in EC last fall and was lucky enough to get everything I was after I didn't bother to ask for birth certificates or family tree's of the animals. Even the warthog had an accent to me!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd love to hunt auodad in RSA if they are unfenced and free range.

Just about all the North American big game such as elk, bears and and moose came from Asia. They are not native.

Lt Dan,

RSA is world famous for its gay professional hunters.

There is a famous one nick-named "Gorgeous Gordon" who was caught in an embarassing situation in a public washroom in Durban.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
JJDouche

Never read your reply till now, because I thoght it was probably worthless... And I was correct.

Let me start by asking you this... Where have you ever seen me ( I only post under Firstcoueswas80) post anything pertaining to this on another site? I would love to see your answer to this because guess what... I havent posted it anywhere!!

And, I would also love to know where you see any buyers remorse? I am pumped to go to Africa. I could care less if the animals I hunt are born and bred where I will be hunting, or if they are 1,000 miles from home. The fact is I am going to Africa, and it aint (and never will be) with you! That alone is enough to make me celebrate.

Have I researched what is from the Cape and what is not? Hell no I havent... You know why?! BECAUSE I DONT GIVE A FUUCK! YOU are the only one that seems content on "educating" me on what is native and what is not when I never asked your two cents, nor have I paid attention to your hot air filled responses.

Like I said, and I know alot of other members would like to say but wont... Go pound sand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
JJDouche

Never read your reply till now, because I thoght it was probably worthless... And I was correct.

Let me start by asking you this... Where have you ever seen me ( I only post under Firstcoueswas80) post anything pertaining to this on another site? I would love to see your answer to this because guess what... I havent posted it anywhere!!

And, I would also love to know where you see any buyers remorse? I am pumped to go to Africa. I could care less if the animals I hunt are born and bred where I will be hunting, or if they are 1,000 miles from home. The fact is I am going to Africa, and it aint (and never will be) with you! That alone is enough to make me celebrate.

Have I researched what is from the Cape and what is not? Hell no I havent... You know why?! BECAUSE I DONT GIVE A FUUCK! YOU are the only one that seems content on "educating" me on what is native and what is not when I never asked your two cents, nor have I paid attention to your hot air filled responses.

Like I said, and I know alot of other members would like to say but wont... Go pound sand.

Never an endless supply of internet tough guys.

There are some here who don't like JJ, but I wonder how many people that have actually met or hunted with JJ don't like him. I can't recall ever reading a post from someone who actually knows him saying anything negative. I'd certainly hunt with him again, and I can't say that about some of the people I've hunted with. I'd bet his feelings aren't hurt by someone who's never met him.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dear kodiak island,

Thanks. If you hunted with me then I think I know who you are from your location. I believe you gave me some tips on how to keep brown bears out of the refrigerator. It wasn't bear spray.

I know a guy who used to be a salesman for MSM. He told me that if you go public with an opinion on ayn subject 33.3 % of the people like you, 33.3 % are indifferent and 33.3 % hate you regardless of what you say or do and there isn't anything you can do about it.

The fans of Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith always seem to break down like that.

As the Brits say, "sticks and stones can break my bones but words cannot hurt me."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 61 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.