Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hi,

I'm currently looking at buying a current generation Winchester M70 Super Grade in .30/06. Just wondering if anyone has used this model and their thoughts.

Any additional comments/thoughts would would also be appreicated.

Cheers,

Last edited by SAKO85BAV; 04/20/10.
HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just saw my first one. I think the SC guns are about the best Winchester has put out in a LONG time...but I thought the high-gloss metal on the Supergrade was off-putting...JMHO...

ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I haven't yet seen a SC supergrade, but I did buy a Featherweight and it is far nicer, fit wise, than the last few new haven model 70s that I purchased. I'm still undecided on the trigger, it breaks nicely but the old trigger was about as good as it gets in a hunting trigger. Simple, rugged and reliable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
saw one a few days ago...too purty to hunt with! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nothing's too purty to hunt with!

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by exbiologist
nothing's too purty to hunt with!

purty guns just show character better.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Great rifle. Lots of variation on the wood for the Supergrades. Some look like Supergrade wood stocks, others are pretty mundane. If you don't usually have your triggers smithed you'll probably think it's pretty good. Otherwise the triggers are terrible. No aftermarket triggers available yet.

If you go to Timney you can request that they build one.

Here is the link:

http://timneytriggers.com/trigger-survey.cfm

Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako85Bav,

Don't hesitate. Bought one in 30-06 a couple of mths ago. This is one of the best bargains in production rifles. No doubt people will eventually realise it and so I hope they will maintain their quality stds. Whats not to like, if you shop around you can get georgeous wood, the barrels are fantastic - accurate and you can feel it cleaning they are smooth and no fouling. I have not had mine apart but I assume bedding is well done and that much critized MOA trigger. Well its like getting a Timney for free. Just fantastic out of the box. Feeds perfectly, nicely finished if a bit too glossy for some.

Mine shoots just about anything into 1MOA or less - honestly what's not to like. Mine has this annoying habit of putting 2 into the same hole and the 3rd opens the group. Man what a POS!!! grin

I think you will not regret buying one, just don't expect a lightweight. Mine is just under 9lbs with Talley steel mounts and a 1.75-6 leupold Vari X III.

regards
JohnT

Here's mine:
[Linked Image]

Unfortunately not as lucky as these M70 Owners:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JohnT; 04/20/10. Reason: photos added
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wow! I want one of these!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by JohnT
Sako85Bav,

Don't hesitate. Bought one in 30-06 a couple of mths ago. This is one of the best bargains in production rifles. No doubt people will eventually realise it and so I hope they will maintain their quality stds. Whats not to like, if you shop around you can get georgeous wood, the barrels are fantastic - accurate and you can feel it cleaning they are smooth and no fouling. I have not had mine apart but I assume bedding is well done and that much critized MOA trigger. Well its like getting a Timney for free. Just fantastic out of the box. Feeds perfectly, nicely finished if a bit too glossy for some.

Mine shoots just about anything into 1MOA or less - honestly what's not to like. Mine has this annoying habit of putting 2 into the same hole and the 3rd opens the group. Man what a POS!!! grin

I think you will not regret buying one, just don't expect a lightweight. Mine is just under 9lbs with Talley steel mounts and a 1.75-6 leupold Vari X III.

regards
JohnT

Here's mine:
[Linked Image]

Unfortunately not as lucky as these M70 Owners:

[Linked Image]

Thanks John T,

Great write up! Is there are reason why you went with the talley scope mounts?

Cheers,

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnT

[Linked Image]

That Supergrade looks fantastic, especially the wood.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 72 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,536
Posts18,491,357
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.