Print Thread
Hop To
C
CWD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Right now my rifle is sporting a laminated factory stock that weighs a ton. I'm not trying to build a lightweight mtn gun, just looking to shave a pound or so off what I have now, 8.8lbs scoped unloaded. I really like how a Sako 75 synthetic felt and thought the Sako hunter stock might be a good fit.
Like to hear some opinions.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the MCMillan Supergrade and wouldn't do it again,I don't like the flat bottom on the forend.What about an Echols? Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I put my Model 70 300WSM into a McMillan Winchester Compact pattern and really like it. Carries well, comes up fast and recoils straight back.

[Linked Image]

Note the thin forearm:

[Linked Image]

And swept back pistol grip:

[Linked Image]

And thick comb without a cheekpiece:

[Linked Image]

Makes for a sleek gun with the factory 24" barrel:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i like that one. i have a Supergrade on my 7mmWSM, but the next one will probably be one like that Winchester Compact.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
C
CWD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Oregon45, I REALLY like the idea of a compact. What does your rifle weigh as it sits? I thought about an Echols but I want some flexibility in options when ordering.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For a lightweight, I would suggest the Winchester Compact pattern. I have one with Edge technology on a 325wsm and it feels about perfect to me.

I have also used the Supergrade pattern and like it very much, but for a lightweight the Compact fits the bill perfectly.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think I must be the only here that does not like the compact/edge pattern. To me, it is too short for anything but a 22" bbl and the forearm is too thin (I have large hands). I do wish the forearm of the Supergrade was rounded slightly, not absolutely flat, but overall I like it very much - I have 5 of the Supergrades, and sold the only compact I had shortly after receiving it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by CWD
Oregon45, I REALLY like the idea of a compact. What does your rifle weigh as it sits? I thought about an Echols but I want some flexibility in options when ordering.

Haven't weighed it but it will be less than an Echols in standard fill--the stock is dimensionally smaller all around. I had an Echols stock for a project but eventually sold it off before I got it finished. It is an excellent stock but I would not use it for a sporter type barrel, much less a featherweight contour. It is designed for heavier barrels and hard kicking guns and for that application is excellent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CWD
I really like how a Sako 75 synthetic felt and thought the Sako hunter stock might be a good fit.
Like to hear some opinions.

If you really like the feel of a Sako 75 stock the McMillan Sako Hunter is very similar. Run a Sako Hunter in EDGE technology to cut down weight and that should fill the bill with what you're looking for.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The SAKO Classic is one of my favorite McMillan stocks. Just looks and feels better than the other classic styles even though they are all similar.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by CWD

The Echols does not come in short action last time I checked, so that is not an option.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 13,355 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,272
Posts18,545,007
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.