Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by daddywpb
This weeks Tracks Across Africa show on the Outdoor Channel is a hunt with Steve Hornady for Cape Buffalo starring the .416 Ruger. Very good! Try to catch it!

There have been a few episodes of Tracks Across African that have 'featured' the .416 Ruger - all of them in the "Alaskan" configuration - stainless/synthetic. What some of use want is the .416 Ruger in the "African" configuration - blued/wood. Few, if any of these have been seen in public. I suspect if Boddington puts some weight behind it (the 416 African) we may see it sooner, rather than later. He seems to have Ruger's ear right now.

In the mean time, I have yet to hear back or see a response to my "Ask the CEO" question on Ruger's site.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yeeeehawwww! the rebirth of the wildcatter, a resourceful individual that is always a one upper on the rest, he is of a curmudgeon bloodline, his head is made up, he will never bend to the wind, and he will never find satisfaction in what others have, he will covet your design, steal your ideas and claim fame where it does not exist...He is the last of a dieing breed, and all this rose from its smelly rotten grave with the birth of the .375 Ruger case..Like Count Dracula it dripped blood into its bowells and it rose to reign terror uppon all those who have pinned his heart with a wooden stake and squashed his love of the wildcat caliber by fulfilling all needs with factory persuasion, now that too has come to an end, They are Baaaaaak

So, hows that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - have sent the Ruger CEO several emails and have yet to receive the courtesy of any sort of reply. Even if his staffers just sent back a "message received will respond shortly" is better than NOTHING! What's the purpose of this "voice of the customer" approach if the manufacturer neglects to respond... Regards Homesteader.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
When you say that something "old" which is proven is better, they were all new at one time. The only logical thinking is that the newer stuff should be better because we have had a century or two to figure out what makes the cake. Saying old is better because it's proven, might as well start throwing rocks at animals, because it worked right? After all we are still here. Just pointing that out to oldman1942... You need valid statistical arguments for why something is better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speak of the devil . . . just got this from the Ruger CEO

"Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

We would all like to see the .416 Ruger rifle in the wood-stock African version, but our engineering recourses are stretched really thin with all of our new products and we just haven�t been able to put the testing into that platform to feel confident in releasing it. We have added many engineers to our staff � and continue to look for more � but just don�t have enough to do everything we want to do as fast as we want it done.

Anyway, it�s on our list of �to-do�s.�

Best regards,
Mike Fifer, CEO"

Edit-added: We exchanged a couple of emails regarding the prospect of a .416 Ruger in the African flavor

Last edited by WiFowler; 04/26/10.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - regarding you post. I received the exact same message from Mike Fifer on the .416 "African". While not a definitive response concerning product release at least it's a start on building dialog. Regards, Homesteader.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Its not much of a trick to roll our own...You can build a 416 Ruger on about any std. action..why wait, the ammos out there, and the cost would be the same unless you go crazy like I do and add all the bells and whistles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
Its not much of a trick to roll our own...You can build a 416 Ruger on about any std. action..why wait, the ammos out there, and the cost would be the same unless you go crazy like I do and add all the bells and whistles.

Debatable. But 1) it would be nice to go into the local purveyor of firearms and say "I want one of those", fill out the 4473 and be done with it, and 2) I currently have an action at a 'smith who is supposedly rolling me a 375 Ruger - or so he's been telling me for 5 months (another tale in and of itself.) In this case the cost 'should' be less (I had an action AND a barrel). Where I to build a 416, I'd need to acquire an action (CRF), barrel (SS), sights, and suitable stock for less than going rate of a Mk II African (~$800). That might be a stretch.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
WiFowler,
Under those circumstance I am sure your right..it is what it is and one must shop put a pencil to it for sure..and it would depend on what would satisfy you.

But I suspect that I could build a 416 Rem or Ruger pretty close to under a $1000...A FN action at $300, a douglas barrel $109, and a composite or laminated stock blank for $100, the action work is done, a chamber for $150 and I would do the the stock myself. I wouldn't be too far off with the additions of iron sights and a blue job..but you never know because one has a tendency to keep dressing those little darlings! smile smile smile thats where the killer comes in! smile smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray - you are correct in "how" a .416 Ruger can be put together using those components BUT if anything didn't fit you'd have finger pointing as to whom is responsible for the SNAFU. By going factory i.e. Ruger "African" that is eliminated - one (1) manufacturer deemed worthy enough to produce a quality rifle. IMO - that is what is desired and what I'm waiting for. Regards, Homesteader.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Atkinson,

I asked a local gunsmith here in Boise, at the Buckhorn Gun Shop, about converting my Mauser 30/06 sporter, with it's 1909 Argentine action, into a .375 Ruger. He advised not doing it due to the Action metallurgy and the .375 Ruger being a higher than standard pressure cartridge. We didn't go into what it might cost.

Should I take it you disagree with the gunsmith? Could I have your opinion?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although the slickest of actions, the '09 Argentines are notoriously soft. Use a commercial FN and build a Ruger 375/416. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Ray - you are correct in "how" a .416 Ruger can be put together using those components BUT if anything didn't fit you'd have finger pointing as to whom is responsible for the SNAFU. By going factory i.e. Ruger "African" that is eliminated - one (1) manufacturer deemed worthy enough to produce a quality rifle. IMO - that is what is desired and what I'm waiting for. Regards, Homesteader.

What Homesteader said (tm Tonto). In the meantime, Ray, would you point us to your supply of $300 commercial FNS? smile

Back to the subject and Mr Fifer's response. I believe that his response and acknowledgememt is a step in the right direction. At least now he knows that someone, or a group of someones, are keeping track. Maybe that'll do something to make the .416 Ruger African a reality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - came across an article (can't recall the magazine title or date)wherein Mike Fifer states Ruger's "voice of the customer" program drives the allocation of engineering resources to produce what Ruger customer's want. IF the .416 "African" is to become reality many more individuals need to contact Ruger and clearly state this i.e. "squeaky wheel syndrome". Ruger will produce it IF they hear from enough of us who truely want this rifle. Regards, Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Homesteader - agreed. Might consider 'inviting' Mr. Fifer to review this thread. Maybe it will steer engineering towards a 416 African instead of another LCP or LCR destine for recall . . . .

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
WiFowler,

Be thankful to Ruger. They might sale a few hundred rifles in 416 Ruger a year. They will even be competing with their own .416 Rigby M77 mk II Magnum express rifle sales.

The market for Ruger pocket carry self defense pistols could be on the order of ten thousand a year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IdahoGuy101 - agreed...BUT would rather have this one rifle before I get "too" old to use it. I want to squeeze its trigger not "set it on stun" - LOL. Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Homesteader
IdahoGuy101 - agreed...BUT would rather have this one rifle before I get "too" old to use it. I want to squeeze its trigger not "set it on stun" - LOL. Homesteader.

I like the way Homesteader thinks!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
WiFowler & Homesteader,

2 plus. Don't missunderstand me. I agree with both of you that 416 Ruger rifles would be great. But Ruger can't afford many special projects that they lose money on. They have to look at the a 416 Ruger rifle as a money loser.

But they're still doing it. On their schedule... I'm grateful that Ruger isn't run by "bean counters" with MBAs who can and have ruined most of America's once great industries. Ruger actually cares about what their customers wants are and takes risks. Think of how long Ruger has kept making rifles in 257 Roberts when it was dead to virtually all the other gun companies!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I want a 416 Ruger African too. Hope fully my 375 Ruger African I sent back to them last week with a cracked stock will help them solve the problem. Looked to me like it needs another cross bolt, will see what they send me. Great gun regardless.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,729
Posts18,514,326
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.