Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I recently bought 13 really old boxes of factory 340 Weatherby ammo, about half of it just brass the other half loaded cartridges. Well I took two boxes out this afternoon to see how the old cartridges shot and out of two boxes I'd say about a third of them were hangfires, some real bad. I had originally just wanted them for the brass but thought that I might use what I had for spring black bear and just plinking but now I've decided to just pull the bullets and save em and dump the powder. So my question is what do you do w/ the primer do you just pop them out with the resizing die or can you just fire them off? I hope that's not too dumb of a question, just never been in this situation before. Appreciate any info. Thanks

HR IC

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use a Lee de-capping die and carefully pop out the primers.I've never had a problem or one go off. Just be gentle and wear safety glasses.
rob

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would use a collet puller for the bullets and deprime normally.Rick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do exactly as Rick. I've deprimed thousands of live primers and never had one go off. If they do, the force is directed down through the shell holder and in most presses that is harmless should it occur.

My biggest concern would be the age hardening of the brass. I believe I would anneal all of it before I did any reloading. There are a number of good threads here on annealing if you don't know how. Do a search and they should guide you.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even though I have removed primers without any problems on the press, I was still a little nervous doing it. My suggestion would be to pull the bullets and just fire the empty case to be on the safe side.

I'm not certain of what would happen if a primer did go off in the press, but I'm also not too excited to find out either.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I'm not certain of what would happen if a primer did go off in the press, but I'm also not too excited to find out either."

In a magazine I read several years ago, the writer said he had a primer go off and it went through the shell holder, down the slot in the ram, and into his thigh, fairly deep.

I am always very leery of mishandling anything that can go boom.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you do fire off the primers, you will be impressed by 1)the amount of flash they produce and 2) the amount of soot they leave in a barrel.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pull the bullets with your bullet of choice,and deprime in a normal fashon.Be slow and gentle,and wear safty glasses.I have done a lot,it takes a hard blow to fire a primer.I would probable not deprime crimped miltary primers,but thats not what you have. Lightman

lightman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus one on the slow and gentle. I use a Lee Universal decapping die and have never had a problem. For bullet pulling I usually employ one of those inertia type pullers; no problems there either. The one and only primer I ever set off by accident was years ago with one of those Leeloaders that require you to hammer on it to prime/deprime, necksize and bullet seat. I wasn't paying attention to my hammering while seating a primer and it went off. But it was no big deal with no harm done. Just taught me to pay more attention to what I was doing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Like several of the previous posters, I occasionally use a Lee decapping die to remove live primers. I have never had any problem with doing it that way. Just go slow and smooth.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shoot the primers or soak in oil before de-priming.

I have a piece of primer anvil in my knee from some "experiments" when I was a kid. Best to avoid that kind of mishap.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pull you bullets and deprime as usual. Have done thousands and have never had one pop yet. Either way I am careful when I deprime.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 64 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,441
Posts18,507,734
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.