their uniforms. Is the 2nd ID involved in the Gulf right
now? Or is there still a shooting every now and then on
the DMZ in Korea? Regards, Jericho.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
My understanding is that 2 ID is still primarily focused on the Korean Peninsula. However, they have at least two of their BCT's stataioned state-side which have deployed to Iraq. One is in Ft. Carson, CO and the other (I believe) is at Ft. Lewis, WA.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
2nd ID has has had several tours in Iarq and Afganistan. But they are split between Ft Carson and Korea. I can't say for sure about Ft Lewis.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know 4th ID is here at FT Carson, I haven't seen anybody wearing the Indianhead though(doesn't mean they aren't here though), when I left Lewis in 06 there was some 2ID elements stationed there.
Dodgefan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pinotguy
My understanding is that 2 ID is still primarily focused on the Korean Peninsula. However, they have at least two of their BCT's stataioned state-side which have deployed to Iraq. One is in Ft. Carson, CO and the other (I believe) is at Ft. Lewis, WA.

The unit at Fort Carson is now 4/4, they changed over to 4th ID and are no loner part of 2 ID. They are the Light Brigade here at Fort Carson. 2 ID is Fort Lewis and the ROK.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Les,

Thanks for the clarification. Is 4/4 the Stryker BCT for 4 ID now?

Ft. Lewis seems to really have an interesting mix of units: 2 ID, 25 ID, 1 SFG, and 2 ACR (Stryker).

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't forget 2/75 and TF160 elements.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Under transformation, which began in earnest 6 years ago, all divisions are modular (five Brigade equivalent commands). These can be cut out, attached to another division, attached to a theater, operate independently with support, etc. Entire divisions don't have to deploy as one unit anymore. As an example, the 82nd can have two brigades at Bragg, one in Afghanistan, one in Iraq, and one in Italy if that is what the force requirement mandates.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The 2ID has brigades at Ft. Lewis, WA.

Jim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One Bde of 2ID was pulled out of Korea years ago. Ain't enough left over there now to make a good speed bump. Then the Stateside Bde multiplied.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was in the airport yesterday and saw a couple of USArmy
soldiers with the Indian head patch on both shoulders of
their uniforms. Is the 2nd ID involved in the Gulf right
now? Or is there still a shooting every now and then on
the DMZ in Korea? Regards, Jericho.

The Army is now a brigade-based, vice a division-based force. While 4-5 brigade combat teams (BCTs) wear the same patch and share lineage with each division, their is no longer a "permanent" command and control line between them. Any BCT can be assigned to operate under the command and control of any division headquarters in theater of operations. Regarding 2ID the division heaquarters and one brigade combat team remain in Korea and it can take on any combination of BCTs, Fires Brigades, Combat Aviation Brigades, Sustainment Brigades, etc can be assigned to it as required. The remainder of the BCTs wearing the 2ID patch, all Stryker Brigades I believe, are based in the US and have deployed to SW Asia multiple times.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Les,

Thanks for the clarification. Is 4/4 the Stryker BCT for 4 ID now?

Ft. Lewis seems to really have an interesting mix of units: 2 ID, 25 ID, 1 SFG, and 2 ACR (Stryker).

There is no Stiker BDE at Carson yet, they made this a Light BDE, no Armor. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,590
Posts18,492,128
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.