Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
duckear Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
45-70

Lever is down and jammed tight as can be.

cry

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
check your loading gate screw. sometimes it can get loose and cause the carrier to get caught on the loading gate and not allowing the lever to move. second it could be the plunger on the lever. you should be able to depress it with you finger but it should be "difficult" not impossible.

Nothin Clever Here
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the first thing I would do is unload the rifle.

Remove the lever pivot screw, then the lever downward/out, and then the bolt rearward out of the receiver.

Take care that the ejector, inside the left receiver wall/bolt raceway, doesn't fall out & get lost - remove it yourself by pulling it inward.

Remove any cartridges from the barrel/action, and push any that are on the lifter/carrier back into the magazine while you push down on the carrier.

Then, chesk the loading gate screw for tightness - if it's tight, but the tip of the gat'a catching the carrier, the spring-steel gate may have lost it's spring tension, needing a replacement ($12/Numrich).

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rangr44
I think the first thing I would do is unload the rifle.

Remove the lever pivot screw, then the lever downward/out, and then the bolt rearward out of the receiver.

Take care that the ejector, inside the left receiver wall/bolt raceway, doesn't fall out & get lost - remove it yourself by pulling it inward.

Remove any cartridges from the barrel/action, and push any that are on the lifter/carrier back into the magazine while you push down on the carrier.

Then, chesk the loading gate screw for tightness - if it's tight, but the tip of the gat'a catching the carrier, the spring-steel gate may have lost it's spring tension, needing a replacement ($12/Numrich).

Good instructions!

I'll bet Duckear was wanting to unload the barrel and not get another shell from the magazine into the barrel. Working the lever s-l-o-w-l-y!

Mine old 336 will hang up when I do it, too. eek

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be careful when you tighten the loading gate screw. They break easy.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by duckear
45-70

cry

This must be a trick question. Marlins don't jam!! laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by duckear
45-70

cry

This must be a trick question. Marlins don't jam!! laugh

grin laugh laugh

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I second what Rangr44 said.
I had the same thing happen with my Marlin GG, it happens sometimes.
I have since sold that Marlin after I had a local smith fix it. I have since been shooting a BLR, it's slick and no problems with jamming.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

"I think the first thing I would do is unload the rifle."

If he can unload the rifle then it is not jammed is it? He is attempting to clear the jam so that he can unload.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

If he can unload the rifle then it is not jammed is it? He is attempting to clear the jam so that he can unload.

I suggest you re-read this thread from the begining in it's entirety, before making non-constructive remarks.

If you do, you should be able to plainly see that I was trying to over-ride the prior advise given to the OP to do this/that, w/o any hint of first clearing the weapon - a potentially deadly situation.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I suggest you re-read this thread from the begining in it's entirety, before making non-constructive remarks.

If you do, you should be able to plainly see that I was trying to over-ride the prior advise given to the OP to do this/that, w/o any hint of first clearing the weapon - a potentially deadly situation.

I assumed he could not unload the gun first, I just figured you did not know what you were talking about. I can also tell people to go from front to back but I also assume you know how to wipe. My bad.

Nothin Clever Here
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Also could you explain how it could be "a potentially deadly situation" as you put it by tightening the loading gate screw? I assume you know about Marlins multiple safety systems...not including the CBS. Could you also explain them for the readers so they know what we are talking about? I am sure that would prove your potential for a deadly situation to arise from the above described senario.

Nothin Clever Here
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Just to revisit this. Guns are not toys and should be treated accordingly. Now, my issue is when people treat them as if they will go off when not loaded. Get to know your gun! Learn how to field strip it and also how to detail strip it. Learn how to replace parts that wear out and order multiples of those parts well labeled for later use by yourself or others. Shoot your gun regularly and try it with different ammo brands and weights. Know your gun and it will not let you down. Oh, and if you dont want it to go off unload it...if you cant then check the loading gate screw!

Nothin Clever Here
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MarlinBill

I assumed he could not unload the gun first, I just figured you did not know what you were talking about. I can also tell people to go from front to back but I also assume you know how to wipe. My bad.

+1 on that!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have no problem with folks shooting themselves, it's when they shoot others that I get bothered.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
CAU Offline
C
Rule #1 All guns are always loaded.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
This thing is like a watch, parts are falling out every where.
Mine is a 1894 FG. I can see where something has been hanging on the lever about an inch from the top. Back to the microscope.
Thanks for help so far..

What are friends for if you cant use um.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Well that took care of that little problem. It was a bur on the upper part of the lever that was hanging on a spring loaded pin in the elevator. With lever all the way down this pin pops out waiting on the lever to compress it and send the elevator back up with a cartridge or with out if you are just cycling the action. Took a chainsaw file, round bastard, that fit the little grove in the lever that starts the pin in, and smoothed it out.
Put it all together and works perfect.
I guess that makes me a gunsmith, right....???
Tkx Ranger44

What are friends for if you cant use um.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Fixing the dreaded Marlin Jam.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I started shooting LEVERevolution's bullets my guide gun started to jam it required a newer magazine follower from Marlin which fixed it completely.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...5/Marlin_1895M_guide_Gun_Jam#Post2322525

Ted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 31 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.