Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry Im a lil late on the seen but that was a great read and as I just picked up dies and brass for the 6x47 Im very sincerely trying one on for size......

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Coyo: YOU are a MAN after my own heart!
You bought the dies first and that comparatively small investment gives you impetus to then go buy THE RIFLE!
Bravo to you and best of luck with the Rifle when you get it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The benchrest guys I used to hang around used the 6x47 frequently until the PPC took over. I've always wondered why it's not more popular in the AR platform with all the pissing and moaning about the .223. It's a great cal but virtually invisible anymore. What twist is your 40X VG?

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My 6x47XBR is the light BR rifle with 20" long SS barrel 3" wide wood BR stock and my 222XBR is the heavy rifle with 27" long barrel. Both rifles have the Rem 40x 2oz trigger.

USMC
Life Member VFW
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
AjHilgy: I wish I could answer that for you - but if I ever knew what the factory twist rate was on that Rifle, I have now forgotten it.
If I get a chance tomorrow I will go down and remove it from the vault and check it for you.
I will say this - again - if I haven't said it already - I believe this 6x47 Remington 40X may be the most consistently accurate factory Rifle I have ever owned.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Roper: Thats right the 20" barrel on the factory Remington 40X Rifles was an extra "thick" (heavier!) barrel.
At least thats my recollection that the 20" barrels were thicker than both the 24" barrel 40X's and the 27 1/4" barrels.
From time to time I hear folks deride and besmirch the Remington 40X line of Rifles for this reason or that reason - I do know this I have owned about 10 or 11 of them in my time and I currently own and shoot 7 of them.
Each and every one of them has pleased me immensely.
Mainly in their consistent accuracy attribute.
The few 40X's I have decided (needed!) to sell ALL fetched more money than I paid for them!
I do not know how long that "trend" can hold up with the prices the folks at Remington are asking for new 40X's these days.
I do know this - a "clean" Remington 40X Rifle showing up at a Gunshow (or a Gunshop) is a HOT item!
I mean they COMMAND attention and high prices!
I remember taking the middle VarmintSon to the Rifle range one day many years ago (1996?). Our intention was to enhance or refine his accuracy potential from the bench.
The VarmintSon was about 12 at the time and enjoyed but was not enthralled with Rifle shooting.
I decided to take along my ULTRA accurate Remington 40XB-BR in caliber 222 Remington (this was before I owned the 6x47 40X).
This Rifle has the delicate target trigger and is fitted with a crystal clear Leupold straight 24X power scope.
I set up the VarmintSon and had him dry fire the target trigger of the 40X a few times.
He touches off his first shot as I am watching through my Unertl spotting scope - first shot right where it should be.
Lesson continues.
The VarmintSon of course can see the bullet hole and its just a skosh higher than where he had aimed and we talked about this being desirable and intentional.
He touches off the second shot and I'll never forget his immediate response "where did that shot go dad"?
He was just not familiar enough to know that under good conditions with a good Rifle and a good handload a shooter can put 2 shots in 1 hole!
I smiled and explained things to him.
I cautioned him for the third shot - same hold squeeze the trigger when things are right.
At the third shot the "hole" still did not change perceptibly and the VarmintSon looks over at me as I looked at him, and he smiled!
All five shots of that "first lesson" formed a group well UNDER .250"!
He was proud, I was proud, life goes on!
Last week - after 6 1/2 years, he finally completed his college "life" at the University of Washington, with two full degrees!
We talked a bit of recent and he was asking if the "Varmints" are out yet back in Montana.
I thank ALL of the Gods that I worship that the liberal sons of bitches and daughters of whores who are U. of W. professors these days, didn't completely screw him up!
Don't get me started.
Roper maybe you can answer the question - what is the twist rate of the Remington factory 6x47's?
I'll check mine tomorrow if you don't know.
Long live the Remington 40X.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
1-14 IIRC

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
VarmintGuy, Both my 40X are 40XBR not 40XB-BR like yours. The 40XBR were the benchrest models and I think the 22BR/6BR tightneck rifles that Rem made in 40XBR had the the 20" long barrel with Green BR stocks. Friend of mine got one in 6BR
back in the mid 80's he messed with it for about a yr then sold it. He could never get it to shoot better than the test targets that came with it.

I never followed the 40x past the mid 80's not sure on the barrel twist.

USMC
Life Member VFW
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have owned a lot of varmint rifles over the years but the only one that stays around here is my 5 lb. Custom Rifle in 6x45...It has taken its share of Coyotes, bobcats, rock chucks, PDs, pinheads as well as deer, antelope and plainsgame...

The 75 gr. GS Customs HP is deadly on big game..For varmints I use the 63 gr. Sierras and 55 gr. Balistic tips..I use H322 and H335,,,,Love my Sako L-461 custom in 6x45 and it looks like my African Safari Mauser in 416 rem. totaly English/African classic in miniture! Pretty neat and it shoots 1/4 inch all day long with about any load but the heavy deer loads that shoot an inch in the 1x12 twist...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (anothergun, AussieGunWriter, Amos63, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.