Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone ever try it? Just wondering if it works.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
GB1

T
T
Works for me with Nebraska early season mosquitoes.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never tried one but I've read up on them. Refill prices sure vary a lot. Do some searching. Some dealers really try to get in your pocket on them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Go and buy one right now and it will be the best 25 bucks you ever spent and you can thank me publicly later.......early season bowhunts were a blood letting before thermacells, and spring turkey hunts?....just awful before thermacells.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Go and buy one right now and it will be the best 25 bucks you ever spent and you can thank me publicly later.......early season bowhunts were a blood letting before thermacells, and spring turkey hunts?....just awful before thermacells.
+1 I love mine....and when its cold outside makes for a great handwarmer too.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

+1

They work!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Another thing..they have never spooked a deer for me yet! that I know of...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Maybe we have a different type of mosquito here in Idaho - didn't work worth a darn... In fact, I think the heat source was attracting them. Gave up trying to fish after about half an hour. Tried it again twice on camping trips with the same result.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If it is windy, (like out on a lake) or you are moving, they don't work very well. But if there is little or no wind (in the south this is skeeter time) they do a great job. Just put it between your feet if you are on a stand or between your legs if you are sitting on the ground. They work especially well in ground blinds that are somewhat enclosed. Skeeters must be dang tough in Idaho.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't work worth a dang on Thorofare Mosquitos. Biggest disapointment I've had in a while.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, there are lots of species of skeeters. Maybe the stinky stuff they use isn't what mountain skeeters are afraid of.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They work and work well. If you think they aren't working, just turn them off (especially early season bow hunting ot turkey hunting) and in 5 minutes, you will realize how well it was working. I use mine on the back deck at home as much as I do while hunting. Here in the South, they area life saver!
On a side note, the refils are expensive but the butane portion is the same one that is used in a cordless curling iron. You can buy them in the cosmetic section at Wal-mart for 1/2 of what the therma-cell brand costs. also, I have found that the pads work until they turn all the way white. Buy the large multi=pack and you get 4 refils cylinders and 12-16 pads, I think. That lasts a long time for $20 or so. Money well spent!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
By the way, I see guys hanging them from their belt or in a holster on their side in magazines and have seen guys doing that on hunt clubs. In my opinion, they work best lying flat where the heat rises through the blue pads. If it is verticle, I can't see how it would work so for those who say it doesn't work, do you mind telling us how you were using them? Also, most of the time if it is too windy for the Therma-cell to work, the bugs aren;t that bad either, from my experience.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Had it facing up (like you, and the instructions, say) on the dock beside me that I was sitting on while fishing, or between us on a small portable table while camping. No breeze all three times. Each time turned it off, and didn't notice the mosquitos getting worse; they got a whole lot better when I put the 100% DEET on...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just did an online search for mosquito distribution maps and found out Idaho only shares 2 of the 4 types of mosquitos with the southern/eastern United States. Maybe that's the difference???

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have not used one personally, but I've been told they work here - on bear stand too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
do they repel gnats/blackflies/etc as well as mosquitoes?

got a big cattle ranch that wraps around my property, so we also get horseflies, etc...most times it isnt the skeeters that bother us, its the other critters.

============================================================

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use one on the bear stands when in Canada bowhunting, and they work excellent.

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well looks like I am gonna pick up a couple and try them on some spring fishing trips, a PUBLIC THANK YOU for everybody whom participated. I will let you know how they worked for me.

Thanks Again.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 163bc, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,486
Posts18,529,737
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.