Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"...turn your nose up at - "look at that old worn out thing"."

Us old guys know it's a lot harder to wear out reloading tools than most youngsters realise. It takes a lot more wear for the tools to be "worn out" than they think too.

I get amused at those who breathlessly spout "Get a xxxx press, it will last a lifetime." They ALL last a lifetime if they get just a tad of care and aren't misused!

GB1

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by boomtube
"...turn your nose up at - "look at that old worn out thing"."

Us old guys know it's a lot harder to wear out reloading tools than most youngsters realise. It takes a lot more wear for the tools to be "worn out" than they think too.

I get amused at those who breathlessly spout "Get a xxxx press, it will last a lifetime." They ALL last a lifetime if they get just a tad of care and aren't misused!

GREAT wisdom here!!!![Linked Image][Linked Image]

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I started in '67 working for a commercial reloader when I was in High School. At that time, the post office would deliver 20 lb kegs of powder right to your door.

It was a great experience working for a commercial reloader, we shot informal benchrest matches at a time when just about any kind of rifle was shot at 200 yards. Guys would sit around for hours and talk of cartridges, loads, rifles, etc.

Not many guys are willing to spend time with youngsters anymore to get them started....what a shame.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
well lets see guess you could say 82 age 6 with dads watchful eye was when I was allowed to load my first 243 load all by myself from start to finish... I was using a rcbs press and a belding and mull powder dispenser (wish i had that dispenser now)I remeber sitting on dads lap before then and him allowing me to seat bullets with alittle help from him... Pretty much i was hooked from day 1 lol.. Now I have 2 rcbs rock chucker press's, 1 hornady L&L progressive and a lee turret press, about 67 dies sets and more gadgets then i wanna type lol.. I may not be as old as you fellows but got about 25+ years of reloading behind me..

Amax his ass!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't remember exactly but think it was somewhere between 1956 and 1958. Originally we were so poor that three of us bought a press and the rest of us bought our own individual dies and supplies. Did this for a couple of years until we got tired of going to one guys house to do the reloading. As best I can recall I have had four presses in the ensuing years for rifle reloading. Also have a couple of shotgun presses to do 12 and 20 gauge shotguns.

One of my presses was given to my s-i-l to get him started a few years ago.

Jim

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I started in '56 when I was eight. My uncle decided I needed to learn and started teaching me. Been at it ever since. Got to say I really like the stuff we have available now. Much easier. Much better results. The good old days of reloading are right here right now.

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Started in 59. At least I tried to. I knocked out the primers of my dad's .32-20 ammo and was trying to find a way to put good ones back in. Dad didn't want me reload so I didn't. But, about the same time I bought a Texan 20 ga. loader and stuck it under my bed and then loaded shotgun shells when he was gone. Got my first press which was the RCBS Jr. and used it until about 10 or 12 years ago then gave it to a fellow to help him start loading. I've had a ball along the way and now have a RCBS Rockchuker (old version) and a CH444 pistol press. Cast bullets and have close to 100 bullet moulds. RCBS powder thrower, Redding Master 2 scale,Redding BR30 thrower,Dillon electronic scale, Harrell powder thrower, Lyman 55 powder measure and about 50 die sets. Plus 12,16,20 and 28 ga Mec loaders.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started reloading shot shells as a kid, in the mid 60's, with my stepdad, who was a avid skeet shooter. As soon as He was sure I was safe on my own I took over all of his reloading. By every weekend I had to have at least a flat of shells loaded for each of the 4 gauges He loaded for on the bench. On mondays there would be empty or partial flats setting on the bench with couple of bucks. I started reloading brass cartridges in 81 for 44mag, to save money. Thats when the insanity began. I now reload 17 handgun and rifle chamberings and 3 shot shell gauges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started in 1982 with a new credit card and a Graf & Sons catalog if I remember correctly. Also bought some stuff from Widener. Started with a 10/10 scale and Jr press. I have added and upgraded quite a few presses over the years. It's a great source of relaxation to me.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by DMB
...In 1956 I bought a C-H "H" press that I still use today. It's shown in the bottom pix.

[Linked Image]

Funny, this is the kind of thing you see at a gunshow and turn your nose up at - "look at that old worn out thing". Yet to the original owner it is a tried and trusted friend. My Reloader Special wouldn't command a lot of respect from a dollar value, but every time I think of upgrading I wonder "why?". Got a fairly worn 10-22 carbine in that same category.

It's nice to have some history on your stuff, whatever it may be.

Jim,

Your last sentence you wrote speaks volumes for me as I wind my way thru my 70's.
That history you mention has taken on added significance in the last few years, going back to a time in my life when there was a lot of enjoyment, and love associated with it.
Thanks for posting that!!![Linked Image]

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 79S, 1beaver_shooter, 16 invisible), 13,639 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,335
Posts18,546,247
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.