-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
OP Offline
Z
I am wanting to get a .44 Mag as a back up side arm but have not owned one before. I will end up carrying in quite a bit so don't want it to be too bulky or heavy but obviously want it to do the job on dangerous african game should me rifle ever be knocked out my hands. Any advice?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
S&W 629 Mountain Gun.
Here's a link to the 45 Colt version, but they make it in 44 Mag also on a revolving basis.
I would look for an older one without the internal lock.

Pete

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

And here's one of each in 41, 44 and 45.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SavutiOneShot; 05/01/10.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Second vote for the Mountain Gun... I have them in .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 ACP and they are my favorite all-around heavy revolver.

Look at the Speer CastCore round for extreme penetration with reasonable recoil. For softer two-legged vermin try the Speer .44 Magnum 200 grain Gold Dot HollowPoint Short Barrel Load...deep bonded HP at 1080 fps..moderate recoil, easy follow up shots and expands every time...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You need to shoot one, or them, first. That's to see if you can shoot well enough to give you confidence. Bear in mind that handguns are far harder to hit anything with than are rifles. That and they have nothing like the killing power of many rifle rounds.
I'd be very careful choosing a lighter .44 Magnum revolver. Even the standard 43-44 oz. models are a real handfull and some simply can't shoot them well.
If you are concerned about weight, a well made gun belt, say 1 3/4ths inches wide, and well made holster by the better makers, like Don Hume, can make a big difference as to how easily you can live with one on your hip.
Beyond all of that, the basic 4 inch class S&W is what I'd consider. Cabela's is selling the Mtn. Gun in .44 Magnum now. May well have to buy one myself. They have the very best single action trigger breaks of any I've tried. I might add that I haven't tried the Taurus.
If a .44 isn't quite right, the .41 is a possibility. Still alot more power than the lessor rounds.
The big difference between the stock Smith 629, 4 inch and the Mtn Gun are that the 629 comes with the classic red/orange front sight insert, vs. the black sights of the MG. That colored front sight insert makes it much easier to see in bad light. When you are in a hurry, you must be able to see that front sight in a hurry. E

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I totally agree with Eremicus. The Mountain guns are very nice but they are a handgul and the muzzle flip is excessive IMO. You simply will not recover as quickly for a second shot. The standard 4" is easier to handle and the Ruger Redhawk 4" easier yet with a very few more ounces to carry. A good holster and belt will mitigate that. I'd also consider a heavy hard cast like the 325 gr WNFPGC offered by Buffalo Bore. They hit very hard and penetrate extremely well. They will penetrate both shoulders of a big moose.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I, for one, will have nothing to do with Buffalo Bore ammo. That's after seeing it lock up two Marlin .45-70's in good condition.
I've never heard of a hard cast, classic keith style bullet of 250 grs. that failed to penetrate any critter that needed shooting. If you load those yourself, they should shoot with the standard 240 gr. stuff.
If I really wanted a 300 gr., hard cast factory ammo, I'd buy the Federal Cast Core ammo. E

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've not had any problem with Buffalo Bore ammo in my 45-70 and I use the 430 gr HC. We are talking revolvers here and I certainly have had no problem with any of their 44 Mag, or 45 Colt ammo in my revolvers. For DLP issues I prefer factory ammo to reloads. I know of a guy in the last year who had to shoot a grizzly with his 454 Alaskan. He used reloads (not his own) and the last round locked up the cylinder. I'm aware of that happening on a Freedom Arms Casull also. I'm leary of that particular caliber for that reason and I use the 45 Colt +P 325 Buffalo Bore in my Alaskan.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I considered the Ruger Redhawk, but decided on the SW 629.
The 629 I purchased I found used, and in very good condition.
At first I could not hit s##t, but with practice I'm getting better. 12 rounds at a session is about all I care to do.
The SW just fit my grip better than the Redhawk, balance and refinement of the hammer and trigger is a pleasure.
When I purchased the revolver I got a set of the 'X frame' grips for it also. They were a very good investment.
Now I'm looking around for a holster, and I'm using a nylon 'Uncle Mikes' for now.
44 spl's are helping me with my practice.
The 629, by the way is a little bit more weight, (2 oz), than the MG. The hammer and trigger are also wider.
I like those features.

Attached Images
44mag3.jpg (66.54 KB, 92 downloads)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
ruger redhawk fits your bill nicely

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In my decision process, the Ruger Redhawk is a great revolver.
If you went that direction I would consider the 45 LC.
I like them and still may get one for my self this summer.
SW or Ruger, you are on solid ground.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 55 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,678
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.