Full Field 2 with ballistic Plex reticle. Overall I would
give it B+ grade. After reading a recent post about Burris
scopes now being made outside the USA, I checked the scope
over. It is NOT marked any place on the scope where it
was made. shocked

I have 2 questions:
[1] Is it now legal to sell a scope without marking
where it was made ?
[2] Where is the Burris Full Field 2 being made ?

Thanks

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The older ones (possibly yours) were made in the USA but they did say it right on the eye piece. The newer ones are made in the Philipines. I have a new FF2 4.5-14, the jury is still out as far as quality goes, but it seems to be ok for the money, no real problems yet.
Im not sure about the signature series scopes, they might be made in the USA still.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Phillipino FFII's are great. Most people agree that they are better than the previous "made-in-USA" version.

The Sig. Select is made in the USA.

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jordan - Very hard to believe that the Phillipino
made Burris scopes are of superior quality to the
'Made-in-USA' scopes. confused
Do you have any proof of this ?
Thanks

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A lot of folks get the ORIGIONAL FullField scopes which were all made in Greely Co mixed up with the FullField ll scopes which were first marked "made in the USA" for the first few years and then where made in the Phillipines.

Hile some folks may argue that the overall quality of the Mark ll Fullfield design is better than the orgionals, I have not heard any one seriously opine that the Phillipine FFII scopes were actually superior to the earlier US made FFll scopes of the exact same design.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Burris moved the manufacture of the FFII's to the Philippines they moved much of their US machinery along with a goodly number of production and quality engineers.
The early Philippine made FFII's were thus produced on the same machinery as the US ones before them. This coupled with an increased level of manufacturing and quality scrutiny (due to management wanting to ensure the new scopes didn't tarnish their reputation) made the early Philippines scopes every bit as good as the US ones and quite possibly a bit better assembled and checked.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did I recall Beretta bought the company? My last ones were outstanding optically, held zero, etc. No issues.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by nsaqam
When Burris moved the manufacture of the FFII's to the Philippines they moved much of their US machinery along with a goodly number of production and quality engineers.
The early Philippine made FFII's were thus produced on the same machinery as the US ones before them. This coupled with an increased level of manufacturing and quality scrutiny (due to management wanting to ensure the new scopes didn't tarnish their reputation) made the early Philippines scopes every bit as good as the US ones and quite possibly a bit better assembled and checked.

Nas,

All that is certianly true. Ad to that the uneven quality of the US made Burris during the 1990s and that is why I bought up folks getting the Fullfields and the FullfiedII scopes mixed up.

Over all, the new Mark IIs no matter what country they were mde in are better scopes than the older ones. I know I like the reticle designs a heck of a lot better than the 1980s Fullfeilds I owned.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bought one in '03, says made in USA on eye piece. Bought one at pawn shop a month ago for $125. Made in Phillipines. Cant tell the difference.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotload
Jordan - Very hard to believe that the Phillipino
made Burris scopes are of superior quality to the
'Made-in-USA' scopes. confused
Do you have any proof of this ?
Thanks

No proof. If you look at my statement, I said that most people (that have used both scopes) agree that the Phillipino FFII is better than the older USA-made scope. This is based on my observations of peoples' comments, both on here, and locally.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I hope im not highjacking but have any of you compared the pioner11 to the burris fullfield 11 i hear there the same thanks marty

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hotload,

I have run both a USA-made and Phillipine-made 3-9x40 FFII through my standard battery of tests, which include optical and adjustment tests, along with dunking in hot water and freezing to check waterproofness. Then I shot the overseas scope on a .300 magnum to see if it would hold up. In every test the Phillipine FFII was at least as good as the USA scope, and in some it was better.

I was a fan of the FFII scopes before they moved the manufacturing to the Phillipines, and now have even more Phillipine scopes on my rifles than the USA-made scopes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's good testimnoy, and puts the US vs. Phillipine quality issue to bed.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several of the FFII's (all 3x9's), and my only complaint was having to send one back (US made) because the parralax was set to 0 at 50 yards. That said, even in September the turnaround (door to door) was 10 days. YMMV, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
"Is the Pioneer the same as Burris"

I have both scopes in same power, 3-9x40, and they look exactly the same. Doug from Cameraland told me that Pentax makes the lenses for Burris and Burris will manufacture the Scope with the Pentax name on it. I cannot tell one bit of difference from a performance standpoint.

I also have a Pentax Whitetail Special with a 50 mm obj. that I boought from Bobby Tomek and that is dang good glass! Adjustment knobs look identical to a Burris. Brimfish

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 54 invisible), 3,051 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,691
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.