-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks again. Presently loading some TSXs at the moment. Incidentally, found out from Hornady all of their 405 brass production which I'm sure is not much is going towards loaded ammo. I did find one place that had them (Natchez) and ordered a few hundred. If I were you I'd stock up. Being that is is a relatively mild pressure, the brass should last quite a while. Hell I have 416 Rigby brass that have close to 15 loadings. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't know about down your way, but up here 50 new brass was getting $55.00 CDN. Pricey for sure, but it sizes nice, and seems to hold up nicely.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think I paid about a buck apiece down here.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds about right. Love the cartridge, BTW. I'm glad you guys are having some fun with it. Mine is a #1, and I am impressed with the accuracy. It's also a real hammer. Mine shoots the X bullets best.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So-o-o, do we have confirmation yet that the post- 1964 Model 94 rear sight available from Numrich Arms fits the dovetail correctly in the Model 95 Winchester???

If so, that combination (with the large O ring screwed to the M 94 sight) is the way I intend to make my older eyes work with my 405. Input please.

IC B2

D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Now that the weather is better I want to start shooting my 405 win 1895 again.I saw an interesting scout scope mount for model 94 and marlin 336 rifles.It replaces the rear site and is a rail mount for scout scopes.I wish this was made for Win 405 1895s.I have trouble with peep sites and iron sites past 50 yards .I think my eyes are getting like Teddy Roosevelts.I am looking for more bullets to shoot.I want to try the 400 gr bullets but dont want to blow my gun up.I think its the .410 400 gr Hornady bullet.I didnt know if Woodleigh bullets made one or not.The Woodleigh bullets are way better for hunting than hornady bullets.Has any one used bertran brass.I have some hornady only 50 pcs but I am buying some bertram brass.My hornady brass shows the bullet in the brass a slight ring.I have not had this with any other caliber I loaded.They shot fine but it looked weird.With the kick ease pad on my 405 its fun to shoot.I just run out of loads to shoot.I wish winchester would sell the nickel placed brass .It looks cool and is better than the hornady brass.Hornady needs to get off their behinds and make miore 405 brass.It is only made once a year is a small quanity.I finally found some brass after a long search.I gotta find some bullets now.I shot up most of my Nosler 41 mag 210 gr bullets and my 41 mag 210 gr hornady xtp bullets.They are a blast to shoot.I will try some 300 gr hornady bullets.I noticed Hornady is only loading one kind if 300 gr bullet now.With a good recoil pad this rifle is a big pussycat to shoot.I shot my friends 405 one day then my 416 rem mag then his 470 capstick.I now know my limit the 470 capstick is too much without a muzzlebreak.I am really glad I bought my Teddy Roosevelt 1895 405.I hope I get to hunt with it this coming year.This is a very interesting old rifle to play with that has alot of history behind it.You should read African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt to hear about his hunts with the 1895 405 Winchester its awesome!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Forget all that 400gr .411 stuff. Just get the 300gr TSX RL-15 powder, Hornady brass and go for it. Those TSXs will outshine the Woodleighs and everything else and give you 2200 fps and great accuracy. Do a search here for my loads and targets and see what you can accomplish!

B
B
I can see no reason to push any weight bullet in the .405 Win to 2200fps, it simply is not needed. The .405 is much less of a round than the old .45-70 which isn't much to begin with anyway. The .405 loaded at moderate speeds will suffice as a small bear and marginal elk size animal round but it will never be more than that. Even "Old Bully" himself admited to it not being much of a DG round.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bloodline
I can see no reason to push any weight bullet in the .405 Win to 2200fps, it simply is not needed. The .405 is much less of a round than the old .45-70 which isn't much to begin with anyway. The .405 loaded at moderate speeds will suffice as a small bear and marginal elk size animal round but it will never be more than that. Even "Old Bully" himself admited to it not being much of a DG round.

For starters the 405's original load was a 300 gr bullet at 2200 fps, with todays powders it's completely easy to get those same 300 gr bullets to 2400 fps and stay well within the pressure limits of the 95 action.
Guaging from your response it's pretty obvious your actual handson experience with either the 405 or 45-70 is zero..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must agree with Ranch13.
The only other plausible explanation is someone looking to stir up a fuss. There are better ways to spend one's time than arguing with kids or the ignorant.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The original 405 loading was a 300gr@ 2200 fps and that is more than sufficient to make it a whole lot more than a "marginal" elk round. As to TR's opinion of the round, I beg to differ and so does he. Ih his book "African Game Trails" he waxes eloquently about the round's efficacy on lion a definite member of the DG crowd. What he said was the bigger British Express round he used a 500/465 was better for elephant but suffice to say both he and Kermit used the 405 to take elephant and rhino. Also there is a real good book about a Brit hunter in India in the colomial service who used a 405 with great results on tigers. With today's premium like the TSX the 405 is a great round. I for one plan to use it on Cape Buffalo. jorge

B
B
Thin skinned lions an tigers are a long way from elephant and cape buffalo but if you are the type for stunt hunting by all means use it as both have been killed with much less such as bows and spears.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe so, I was merely pointing out your erroneous statement concerning TR and his views on the 405, not to mention the fact you said "DG" and that of course includes lion and leopard.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bloodline--You need to get some real world experience with a 45-70 before you go bonkers on your key board. If you want to see what a 45-70 is all about, I would suggest that you stand out at 400 yards or so and let me shoot at you with my Sharps 45-70 loaded with 500 grain cast bullets pushed by black powder. I won't even need a scope.

On second thought, that's not such a good idea. You wouldn't survive the experience, so I am withdrawing the offer.

B
B
Shargpsguy: Not meaning to Hijack the .405 thread but I'm not "thin skinned" fire away. How could I be while posting on a BB?
I own and have owned several 45-70 in single shots, lever and bolt actions my favorite being a Marlin 1895LTD SS followed closely by an 1874 Sharps. I have spent tons of cash trying to make the 45-70 into something it is not finally just buying a .458WM. I do also own a 'soli Quigley that I punched out to 45-120 ( more recoil than worth though very accurate).
My favorite load for the 45-70 is 52.0 gr IMR 3031/400gr hard cast (my own)/Fed. 215 primer it is accurate in every rifle I own. In the 45-120 I shoot BP with the same bullet an it is very accurate out to 1000 yds using a Lyman front globe with inserts.
With the above being written I still stand pat on my statement neither the 45-70 nor the .405 are really worth much for truely dangerous game. Certainly the bison has been slain with both as too the occasional brownie but as a rule neither was very adept at doing so back in the day.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
bloodline

Thanks for straiting us all out on the 405 and 45-70, if there is anything else we may be unaware of, you will be the first one we'll ask. Thanks again for all the wisdom.

Mouse

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bloodline--You just showed yourself for the lying troll you are. A Pedersoli 45-3 1/4 won't hit due east with a 400 grain hardcast bullet and black powder. It's a matter of case capacity, fouling control, and barrel twist. 1000 yards my azz.

B
B
Sharpsguy would you care to step out in front of that rig at 1000 yds while I lie prone on the short stick?
Just because you haven't had good fortune with the likes does not mean others haven't. I,myself had little interest or use for the BP in it either as I thought I was pretty wise to the ways of reloading/shooting, then I had the good fortune (or misfortune) to meet a pair of serious BP burners whom adore long range match shooting with the 38-55, 45-70 as well as several other calibers. I soon learned to keep my mouth shut and listen around them and at their suggestion punched the 45-70 to 45-120. Not intending to tell anyone I can ring the gong at 1000 with every pull but I do it enough that I keep tossing my empties into a bucket of soapy water putting up with the mess until I get to sit at the long drop tube and start over.
* But to quote you, "on second thought I withdraw my offer as you may not survive the experience"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bloodline--I just might take you up on it. Would you care to enlighten us and tell us how your rig is set up and give us some details of your load with the magic 400 grain bullet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
good fortune (or misfortune) to meet a pair of serious BP burners whom adore long range match shooting with the 38-55, 45-70 as well as several other calibers. I soon learned to keep my mouth shut and listen around them and at their suggestion punched the 45-70 to 45-120. Not intending to tell anyone I can ring the gong at 1000 with every pull but I do it enough that I keep tossing my empties into a bucket of soapy water putting up with the mess until I get to sit at the long drop tube and start over.

Names, dates and Places?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,347
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.