Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I know it's hard to believe with all the Leupold bashing going on lately, but I bought a New Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 with all the new improvements that Leupold has to offer for the same price that I could get a DEMO 6.5-20x50 conquest for.

Now believe me when I say I was a little concerned that I might have been wasting my hard earned money. So I nervously mounted it on my new Remington sps varmint .308. Not knowing what to expect I headed to the range, and the craziest thing happened, it only took three shoots to get zeroed. Then I wanted to check the tracking, and to make sure I was centered over the bore. So I ran it up to 30 MOA in 5 MOA increments, than back to zero. Well I was amazed to say the least it performed flawlessly. I know hard to believe but crazier things have happen. wink

[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Must be a fluke grin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joecool544
I bought a New Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 with all the new improvements that Leupold has to offer for the same price that I could get a DEMO 6.5-20x50 conquest for.

Was that with employee pricing ?............................. grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Joe,
Nice lookin rig. The service from the scope doesn't surprise me and has been my experience with every Leupold that I have ever installed on any rifle in the past 30 years. I noticed on the 6BR web site that Jason Haney put a 36X Leupy with a Premier conversion on his rifle and he shot a couple of pretty nice groups with it.
He like you obviously installed the scope correctly and was familiar with the instructions and the torque settings.

Dave

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Of course you're not a "serious hunter" because you don't use a European scope....

Great to see positive posts about Leupold, gives some balance to the Zeiss hype and S&B worship.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by joecool544
I bought a New Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 with all the new improvements that Leupold has to offer for the same price that I could get a DEMO 6.5-20x50 conquest for.

Was that with employee pricing ?............................. grin

No wrong end of the state... be a long drive to work grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm pretty sure Zeiss's come zeroed for every rifle known to man before mounting. And they track better than a bloodhound. Glad you got one of the "good" Leupolds. mtmuley

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm just glad that the other post is pretty much dead. It turned into a pissing contest.

Tom

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Oregon,
Kind of relates to one of my previous posts using the lottery comparison. You only hear about the lottery winners (scope failures) and never hear about the lottery loosers (scope success's). In the case of the Leupy thread regarding all the BS and bashing we got to hear from many about there scope related failures or at least whay they perceived to be a scope related problem. Those stories in the grand scheme of things are so small a percentage of Leupold sales and success stories they don't compute IMO.

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool joecool! I like hearing good reports on the new VX3's. Leupold is a good company.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have never been able to figure out why the Leupold scope threads incite so much emotion.It happens with no other product I can think of. Seems to be a product that is both highly overated and underated all at the same time.For years the standard others were measured by. Now such a plethera of other makers it is hard to say but sure is nice to have so many offerings to choose from.Kinda like women.. the more expensive they are the more attractive they are.... or seem. I have and still have everything from tasco to Schmidt and bender and most in between and can have fun and success with any of them. Finding the glass is not nearly as difficult as finding the time and opportunity to hunt and shoot.

Last edited by foogle; 05/06/10.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hi Joe,
I'm glad that scope is working out for you. I have that same Leupold 66600 on all my hunting rifles including my new 700P in 338Lapua. Mine zeroed in 2 shots and I did the same 30MOA up test on the verticle line and hit the line 30MOA straight up. Next shot I dialed in 11 minutes and hit the 12" 500 yard gong on my 4th shot out of the new rifle. Due to wind it took me a couple shots to connect at 635 yards but the elevation was good on every shot.

[Linked Image]

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Hi Joe,
I'm glad that scope is working out for you. I have that same Leupold 66600 on all my hunting rifles including my new 700P in 338Lapua. Mine zeroed in 2 shots and I did the same 30MOA up test on the verticle line and hit the line 30MOA straight up. Next shot I dialed in 11 minutes and hit the 12" 500 yard gong on my 4th shot out of the new rifle. Due to wind it took me a couple shots to connect at 635 yards but the elevation was good on every shot.

[Linked Image]

Hired Gun the scope is working great! I'm very glad to have done business with you, I will be looking at buying another from you in the very near future. Again many thanks on a great deal, my hats off to you.

Last edited by joecool544; 05/06/10.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Joe and Hired Gun,
I was looking at buying a 8.5 x 25 for for a Remington 22-250 Varminter BDL I bought 30 years ago.. If I get some time to get out and shoot will probably pick a new one up. That .338 is nice. Looks like the scope is on it right too. You must have read the instructions and torqued the ring screws properly since it passed the 30MOA test.
I've got an old VXII in 6 x 18 AO that every time I crank on the knobs it does what it is supposed to. It's probably 25 years old and been on a half dozen guns. Next time I get a chance I'll post a pic.
Shot an antelope last October @ 325 yatds. 3.5 x 10 x 40 w/B&C reticle. It worked right too but I have to admit I didn't torque the ring screws but the gaps are even and the reticle is level.

Dave

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Racetire,
The Burris Extreme rings are very easy on the scope tube especially since I only torque them to 12 inch pounds. I will be moving my rear ring forward a bit before my next outing. I level my scope tube above the bore the bore centerline using one of these
[Linked Image]
then I plum the crosshairs. Mounting it this way insures she track nice and square.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
HG,
I have never torqued a ring screw but have always had a pretty good feel in my hands for what is snug and what is tight. Torquing is obviously better. I was being somewhat facitious about the torque too. Leupys will work just fine if common sense is used to mount them.
I like the reticle tool. I use the Stoney Point Reticle leveler and it seems to work for me. A friend has just started shooting long range up at Tom Sarvers range and he showed me a tracking verification process on long range .com I think that uses a diamond to confirm proper tracking and adjustment and confirms a level reticle. No doubt the string and plumb bob are the way to go. Who makes the tool you illustrated? If you are selling them send me one. Never tried the Burris rings either. I may give you a call tomorrow.

Dave

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The tool is made by EXD and I can get you one or you can get them direct at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6097/Product/EXD_ENGINEERING_VERTICAL_RETICLE_INSTRUMENT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 49 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.