Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have questions re: safety.. Please pm me.. Can't find what I'm looking for online..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
breack a tap?

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's the 'incompatibility' part I can't find a specific answer for..

I've called Solvay Chem., and of course got a message machine..

mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
sp is wrong i realize.

IC B2

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Apparently, we have no chemistry experts here... Bummer...

Called the chemistry depts of two universities.. No one answers phones.. Is there anyone alive AND available to answer a freakin' question on this stuff???

I've tried for nearly 3 hours now to get an answer online or by phone at some chemistry dept., or chemical company and NO ONE ANSWERS A FREAKIN' PHONE... Nothing pizzes me off more than trying to get a live human being on a phone and apparently, it can't be done in today's world...

ARGHHHH..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think poster "avagadro" is a chemist. Shoot him a PM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would just google hydrogen peroxide compatability. Just don't get the stuff on your hand 35% will turn your skin white.

Stability and Reactivity
Stability:
Normally stable if uncontaminated, but slowly decomposes to release oxygen. Unstable with heat, may result in dangerous pressures. A strong oxidizer, reacts violently upon contact with many organic substances, particularly textile and paper. Avoid light and keep in a closed but vented container to prevent evaporation (concentration) and contamination.
Hazardous Decomposition Products:
Decomposes to water and oxygen with rapid heat release. Use vented containers. The solution can decompose violently upon heating.
Hazardous Polymerization:
Will not occur.
Incompatibilities:
Heat, reducing agents, organic materials, dirt, alkalis, rust, and many metals. Spontaneous combustion may occur on standing in contact with readily flammable materials.
Conditions to Avoid:
Avoid excess heat and contact with combustible or organic materials. Light and incompatibles.

Deal with it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do know that it will whiten teeth. The dentists professional strips have up 40% peroxide. You brightening up yer smile smile

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Food grade, or Technical grade HP?

Have an A1 Day!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H2O2 Therapy ???
Ozone and H2O2 therapies are considered cutting edge alternative health care protocols for treating a wide range of chronic illnesses including, cancer, AID's and tumors. We would like to share some information that the FDAmm would prefer you didn't read, fortunately some doctors do not feel the same as the general community and are using these processes to cure people.
For many years the health sciences have been seeking to identify the primary physical cause of all diseases, and the cure-all that this basic principal would yield. Now both have been found, but their utter simplicity makes them difficult to accept at first, since it seems like if it's that easy, we should have been using them all along.

GOA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Redneck what are you looking for specifically Storage info? How to use it? Let me know you can PM me I can get some answers at work for you.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Be VERY careful with it. It's used n the cleaning chemical/laundry business, regularly. 35% is some very bad chit.

It requires a vented container to prevent pressure buildup. It is an effective oxidizer that will cause things to burn very rapidly. It will blind you. It easily dilutes with water, but don't mix with other chemicals. It turns your skin white and feels like pins and needles. What is your actual question?

Big companies don't just give out info. They will likely just tell you to call a hazmat team.

If eye or skin contact occurs get to fresh water immediately & rinse for at least 15 minutes..

Edit to add- Here is the MSDS from FMC, another manufacturer.
http://msds.fmc.com/msds/100000010225-MSDS_US-E.pdf

Also, it is generally shipped in poly drums & plastic pails, but the containers absolutely need to be vented.

Last edited by oulufinn; 05/06/10.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't have specific information on 35-40% hydrogen peroxide, but can tell you that if you poke your finger in the full strength stuff you'll probably pull back a bone.

Household stuff is 3%.

It is a vigorous oxidizer. I suspect that getting it in contact with oil would cause a strong reaction. There are engines that run on diesel oil and full-tilt hydrogen peroxide.

That's a non-chemist's unresearched thought on the subject.

I guess the one that is sure is that you are doing the prudent thing: Finding out before you fiddle with the stuff.

Be not weary in well doing.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I watched it burn a hole through my leather shoe once.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
After nearly 3 hours of trying to get a human being I finally got through to Solvay and talked to a very nice lady in the engineering dept.. She had exactly what I needed. Man, that stuff's some bad chit, especially after reading all the tech stuff that warned about keeping it cooled (refrigerated), out of the sun, yada yada yada.. But I digress..

What I had to find out was if I could apply this via a steel pipe or if it had to be PVC.. She said the latter. I have good chemical protection clothing, gloves etc., on hand - due to the harsh stuff used in firearms bluing so I'm maybe more than averagely aware of safety.

Also, she said the same thing re: strength of solution. All I would need is an 11% strength, so I diluted this by adding 10 gallons of 35% to 20 gallons of water, then running it down the PVC to the drainfield.

Using the higher percentage could have resulted in high heat/oxygen release and make for an explosive environment.. Something I don't need, obviously..

Took me all freakin' day to get this job done and it was exhausting, due mainly to the frustration of not being able to get good information.. I couldn't find it online, and (now 3) university chem. depts were incommunicado so my second call to Solvay finally worked... That, and figuring out a way to safely dilute it and not come into contact with any metal.. I luckily have a 60 gallon plastic tank as part of a 3-pt mounted herbicide sprayer I mount on the tractor.. The next problem was, the stupid tank supply hose had a faulty shutoff valve.. I had to replace that first, then figure out how to get the whole thing high enough to allow gravity feed down the PVC.. I couldn't use the pump due to metal parts - it had to just drop via gravity.. THAT was really fun too.. Grrr..

Whole thing cost me nearly $350 plus 2/3 of a day's work...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After nearly 3 hours of trying to get a human being
You Dr. Frankenstein now or what? lol

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Redneck
It's the 'incompatibility' part I can't find a specific answer for..

I've called Solvay Chem., and of course got a message machine..

mad

Might be able to find the MSDS (material safety data sheet) at a DOT website...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
35% peroxide, 60 gal tank for the tractor sprayer... Bleach jobs for herds of cattle, obviously laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 219DW, 204guy, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,444
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.