Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Over the years I have found that,if you wanna know if a 270 "shoots",feed it 130 gr Sierra FB spitzers....IME if those don't work, the rifle is "ill".

In any of mine,the same loads with the Sierra's will work with 130 Nosler Partitions and POI will be about identical at 300-400 yards.As 270 Guy points out above,the 130 Partitions are worth the extra little cost come hunting season,kill big and little deer with impunity,and make the jump to elk sized stuff nicely. You do not need to use many as load and POI are the same as Sierra's as a general rule.

Past years the 130 Speer spitzer(as bigwhoop points out)behaves like a somewhat tougher CC bullet and I have had excellent results with them as well.

For a really tough,high weight retention 130 gr these days I like the 130 Swift Aframe,which is similar to the old 130 Bitterroot which I have used for years.

What Bob said; if you feel the need for a tougher bullet than the 130 Partition, then the 150 Partition is your huckleberry.

But I'm also liking the 140 Accubond more & more as an all-around bullet.

MM

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hi,,,i agree,,,the accubond is the most accurate bullet made,,,very accurate,,,hard hitting and puts ALL game DRT,,,thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady 130 Interlock/IMR 4895= BACKSTRAPS wink

Then...Hot coals...garlic, salt, pepper....a frosted mug/miller lite.

Yessir, Life is good.

Last edited by gunnut308; 05/07/10.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Hornady 130 Interlock/IMR 4895= BACKSTRAPS wink

Then...Hot coals...garlic, salt, pepper....a frosted mug/miller lite.

Yessir, Life is good.
grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
130gr TTSX

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can tell you that I love the results of the Nosler Partition in the 160 grain bullet weight for the .270 Winchester caliber. It turns that particular rifle into a real big game getter!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes I agree on the 160 grainer. This will be my next bullet for this years elk hunt. I've taken cows with the 130, 140 and 150 Partitions already. That semi spitzer really shoots well in a variety of 270's I have. I may slow it down for a whitetail tree stand load in the brush.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Bob, and anyone else, how do you like the 130 Sierra Flat Base Pro Hunters on game? You mentioned they shot well, but it doesn't sound like you hunt with them. A buddy I load for has about 250 of those, and first load out of the gate that I tried shot into a 1/4"!

exbio: I have shot a lotta woodchucks with them grin

They are a bit tender for my taste.....I lean toward "hell for stout" in bullets...I have used them some and like I said they are...well...BT-like I think.But my rancher buddy uses them all the time and kills mule deer and elk with them.....so I have seen them used a lot and they kill and I really can't knock that. But I just prefer the Partition as a "do-all" bullet,which BTW,frequently shoots about as well as the Sierra in some rifles.

Edited to add: I did not mean to imply that I have not used the Sierra on game; I have,in 30 cal, 270, and 25 cal.What I meant is,I used them on varmints,too.I shoot Sierra's a lot for practice.But I don't use them on BG anymore because I cannot imagine what possible advantage they might have over a Partition.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/08/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hornady 130g Flat base 60g H4831SC, Fed 215, play with bullet jump(deer load).

If you want to go to a premium bullet, try the 110g Barnes Tipped tripple shock with 57g of Win 760= 1/2"(or less) groups at 200 yards in 4 different rifles.

I would go with a 150g for Elk, but wait till you cross that bridge.

Last edited by keith; 05/07/10.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
best bullet out for north American game ......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite 270 bullet was not glamorous but effective. 150gr Core-Lokt. It accounted for several head of big game. I would be using it today if I had not started packing a 7x57.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Since no one else mentioned it (suprisingly), my vote is the 130 Accubond. I saw the 140 AB mentioned, which admittedly may be an even better choice.

My .270 Ti LOVES 130 ABs behind a stout load of Reloader 19. 3175 at the muzzle in a 22 inch barrel.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For deer-130 gr Sierra's BTSP, and 130 NBT. Mostly with IMR4350.

I would opt for a heavier bullet for elk.

For one to do it all, I'd probably use an NAB in 140.

Last edited by AJD; 05/08/10.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
i do not have a bullet to recomend but i do want to thank everyone for there suggestions,, when i started reloading i fell into the gotta have the best bullet i could afford,, im starting to see that i was a sucker,,before reloading i did use the win soft points and the rem core-locks and they killed game so i dont know how or why i thought i needed a primium expensive bullet for reloading,, now dont get me wrong i do think the premium bullets do have there place but im also thinking i can get by with some less spending also,,,,,

the mighty oak was once a little nut,
who held its ground,,
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've liked the 130 partition and the 140 Accubond. Since I hunt primarily for dinner fare, I like what the minimal damage of the partitions even if they hit bone.

I've also taken a few deer with the 140 accubond out of the 270, and seen a couple of deer and one elk taken with the same bullet out of a 270 WSM, and likewise, like what they have done.

No comments on the other ones since I have no experience in the past 20 plus years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess is that it would be difficult to find a 130/140gr 270 bullet that would not work well for deer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by romex2121
i do not have a bullet to recomend but i do want to thank everyone for there suggestions,, when i started reloading i fell into the gotta have the best bullet i could afford,, im starting to see that i was a sucker,,before reloading i did use the win soft points and the rem core-locks and they killed game so i dont know how or why i thought i needed a primium expensive bullet for reloading,, now dont get me wrong i do think the premium bullets do have there place but im also thinking i can get by with some less spending also,,,,,

IMHO you were not a sucker....you were spending for reliable,uniform expansion,penetration,and on-game performance.Not to suggest you cannot get that from some bullets that don't have the "premium" label,but the oddsare that you will get it more often, more consistently,and under more diverse and adverse circumstances than a non-premium bullet.And certainly not all bullets that kill well are premiums.

Bullet makers(none of them) design their bullets to "fail";but they design them to perform under certain parameters or windows of performance...premiums maybe widen that window a bit.

In prioritizing,the money spent on the bullets may be better than money used on a fancier scope,or a better paint job,a new cartridge,or some other "cool" embellishment that means nothing once the bullet leaves the barrel.I would rather hunt with a middle of the road rifle and scope, than a middle of the road bullet. The bullet is the only thing that kills.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
i have yet to recover a 140gr. accubond. i also have yet to find any trace of a bullet fragment. it is the only 270 bullet i've sent end to end on a deer and still keep on keepin on!!

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
+1 on the 150 grain partition, in the .270 I have owned since 1977. It will expand on long range even on deer, but hold together at close range and not damage as much meat as a lighter cc bullet. I've used convential cc bullets and they do work well at distance on deer-but if you happen to get a closer shot they can come apart and you will be cutting away a lot of bloodshot meat, at least in my experience.

There is no need to use lighter bullets for deer and then have to change to a heavier one for elk. The 150 properly stoked up will shoot within an inch or so of the 130's out to 400 yards, and have more energy when it gets there.

In some locations where I hunt, the deer season ends, and elk starts the very next day. Having a certain load for deer and then another for elk is not practical for me.

Some of my newer .270's prefer 130's over 150's. A couple like the new 110 grain TTSX, which works well for coastal deer and hogs, but I like more bullet for elk and big muleys.

Buy a box of 130 grain partitions and a box of 150 partitions, and some 4831. See which your rifle likes best. If they are close, go with the 150. Then buy a few more boxes of that bullet and you will be set for a few years I would guess.

I don't know how much you plan to shoot your .270, if you are going to use it only for big game hunting than the cost difference in bullets for most folks won't amount to much.

Good luck,

Manny

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know you said a good, non premium bullet but at least here in Alaska, I don't beleve in that. All I've ever used in my .270 Win. was a 150 gr. Partition and they work. Period!!!
Over the years, I've found the Partition tends to not be quite as accurate as some other non-premium bullets (ie., Sierra, Hornady) but I was willing to give up a bit of accuracy for dependability and performance.
Having said all of that, I'm now convinced that the 150 gr. Northfork is at more accurate AND performs at least as good or better than the Partition. They are more expensive but what is dependability worth to you? Having used the 225 gr. NF in my .338 on moose, I know how it will perform. And as a side note, my .270 WSM will not shoot any 150 gr. bullet consistantly accurate and I'm gonna be using the 130 gr. NF on our Aug. sheep hunt into the Brooks. I just might run into a legal grizzly. Just my thoughts.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 05/08/10.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 43 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.