Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I bought a bag of the Tipton cotton flannel patches for 22-270 calibers from Midway a couple years back. Problem is they won't push down a the bore on my 22-250. Hoppes microfiber or whatever you call them push fine. Maybe a bit too easy. Suggestions?

It's been a while since I messed with the '250 as I sold my other gun. I'm thinking that if memory serves I was piercing the patch near the corner to get them to go. I'd feel safer with a centrally pierced patch.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worn out cotton t-shirts make good patches. You can cut them up to whatever size you want. Not quite as "quality" as flannel patches but one shirt will get you several hundred patches, and the bore doesn't seem to mind. If you use a pointed jag you do have to watch out not to make them too tight or they will tear, but start smaller than you need and it quickly becomes evident how big to cut them.

Heck, I even recycled my old whitey tighties this way. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
With the Tipton patches (which I like) you can't put the point of the jag in the center. Put it over toward one of the corners. About halfway between the center and one of the corners should work well. I assume you use a bore guide. And so, I like to give my patches a good running start before they get into the barrel.

Aim for the exit hole.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pretty sure I have tried the Tipton's before and found them to be thicker than most which caused problems. Use the ones from Sinclair now- don't remember the name.

At one with the gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the patches from Sinclair also. The patches that work best for .22 cal rifles are the 1 1/8th square and the 1 3/8ths square. If you use the 1 3/8ths, stab it off center. The 1 1/8th patches fit a little loose in my rifle, but may be just fine in many others.

You can trim some patches to these dimensions and see if they work for you.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Me 2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by FC363
I use the patches from Sinclair also. The patches that work best for .22 cal rifles are the 1 1/8th square and the 1 3/8ths square. If you use the 1 3/8ths, stab it off center. The 1 1/8th patches fit a little loose in my rifle, but may be just fine in many others.

You can trim some patches to these dimensions and see if they work for you.

+1

try cutting the patch in half.

T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Piercing them off center has taken care of this for me. The Hoppes synthetics are the others that I have and they work easily with a center pierce.

Bore guide on order. Cleaning with caution for now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies - Cotton Cleaning Patch 22 cal. 7/8" is a perfect fit.

www.emshootingsupplies.com

I believe the last 1000 I purchased from Midsouth Shooters.

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use a slotted tip, and it eliminates a lot of problems.

I fold the patch in half diagonally, slip it through the slot, give it a dose of solvent, and run it.

I never worry about them falling off right before I hit the bore guide (or inside the bore guide before getting to the actual barrel), can reverse it in the bore for a little "scrubbing" if needed, etc.

I've just always been more comfortable with a slotted tip as opposed to a pointed jag.

IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I've found that using cut up old SOCKS (the white athletic type) work perfect as patches. The foot section is woven, reinforced, super cotton! I keep old socks and cut them up to the size that I need. I typically only use 3 patches to clean a barrel down to steel. How you ask? I use an electronic cleaner first, then 1 patch to push out all the sludge, a 2nd patch to dry the bore, and then a 3rd patch to lightly oil it. Yes, it really is that simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a slotted tip whilst I'm slopping the copper cleaner to the barrel and I also jack the patch back and forth.
When I'm running the cleaning patches thru the barrel, I use a jag on the theory that I don't want to drag crud back into the barrel.

Aim for the exit hole.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I haven't messed with store-bought patches for a couple of decades now. I go to the fabric store and buy white flannel by the yard. Two minutes with a pair of scissors and you have enough custom sized patches to clean a gun 20 times, and it's way cheaper than store-bought patches. I would do it that way even if it weren't better, just to see the (usually) disgusted look on the clerk's face when I tell her what the stuff is to be used for!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might try a different jag if you have one. Just a tiny bit of difference in diameters may change things.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I use the heavy twill Butch's patches and step down to a .20 caliber brush or jag.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Turn a jag down a little. I have the same problem with some patches.

Just chuck in a drill and file a few thou off.

HM

Last edited by halfmile; 05/09/10.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
When I'm running the cleaning patches thru the barrel, I use a jag on the theory that I don't want to drag crud back into the barrel.

Agreed.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I pull the dirty patch back through the bore.

It's not a big inconvenience to just pull the patch out of the slotted tip while the cleaning rod is poking out the front of the bore, before pulling the rod back through.

T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I've been doig fine with teh off center piece, but may try teh file on the jag move as well. The synthetic patches push a bit too easy in my opinion.

I can't see cutting my own. I mean the darn things are just over a penny a piece. I do like to recycle, but my time is worth more than that.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I haven't messed with store-bought patches for a couple of decades now. I go to the fabric store and buy white flannel by the yard. Two minutes with a pair of scissors and you have enough custom sized patches to clean a gun 20 times, and it's way cheaper than store-bought patches. I would do it that way even if it weren't better, just to see the (usually) disgusted look on the clerk's face when I tell her what the stuff is to be used for!

That's what I do too.

It isn't about expense. Its about having any size patch at your disposal, and for handgun cylinders, varying sizes of rifle chambers its convenient as well.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Worn out cotton t-shirts make good patches. You can cut them up to whatever size you want. Not quite as "quality" as flannel patches but one shirt will get you several hundred patches, and the bore doesn't seem to mind. If you use a pointed jag you do have to watch out not to make them too tight or they will tear, but start smaller than you need and it quickly becomes evident how big to cut them.

Heck, I even recycled my old whitey tighties this way. grin

did you get skid marks in your bore?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,492
Posts18,509,064
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.