Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I have a wood stock that I have finished finally using Sitkas method of epoxy and then adding oil coats. Now it has a very deep and glossy finish. I am thiking on making it less glossy a little satiney. What would be the proper way to use rottonestone to knock some of the gloos off? And should I do it?
Thanks
Elmer

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I did one too and it turned out nice. Was your stock new or did it have checkering. I'm curious how it could be applied on a checkered stock. I let mine shine and I like it. How about a picture? Ken

Last edited by kend; 05/09/10.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elmer
Allow the oil to cure for at least a few weeks before dulling... Then apply rottenstone on a felt rag... Dip it in mineral oil and then a small pile of rottenstone. You want to make a fairly thin slurry.

Wipe in long strokes with the grain and try to keep your strokes consistent and overlapping as much as possible.

Do NOT do small areas, especially as small circular areas or you will spend the rest of your life trying to make them uniform!

I use a lot of palm with the rag to keep the pressure down and the surface area of the polishing compound large. Try to keep the same part of the rag working as long as possible because the rottenstone breaks down smaller and smaller as you use it and keeping a blend of "grit size" on the using surface helps maintain and develop a uniform luster.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Elmer
Allow the oil to cure for at least a few weeks before dulling... Then apply rottenstone on a felt rag... Dip it in mineral oil and then a small pile of rottenstone. You want to make a fairly thin slurry.

Wipe in long strokes with the grain and try to keep your strokes consistent and overlapping as much as possible.

Do NOT do small areas, especially as small circular areas or you will spend the rest of your life trying to make them uniform!

I use a lot of palm with the rag to keep the pressure down and the surface area of the polishing compound large. Try to keep the same part of the rag working as long as possible because the rottenstone breaks down smaller and smaller as you use it and keeping a blend of "grit size" on the using surface helps maintain and develop a uniform luster.

Thank you Sitka! For my first time doing this type of thing on a previously oiled stock it actually came out very nice, hit some minor bumps along the way but I am very happy with it.
Thanks for all the help!
Elmer

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I knew a guy once who dulled his varnish finish by mixing fine sand into the final coat. I kid you not. He claimed it dulled the finish and gave it a non-skid surface at the same time. It was truly something to behold.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elmerdeer
Elmer

Thank you Sitka! For my first time doing this type of thing on a previously oiled stock it actually came out very nice, hit some minor bumps along the way but I am very happy with it.
Thanks for all the help!
Elmer

Sum before and after pics would be nice if ya gots 'em. Art knows his wood. Somethin' about that just sounds wrong.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I knew a guy once who dulled his varnish finish by mixing fine sand into the final coat. I kid you not. He claimed it dulled the finish and gave it a non-skid surface at the same time. It was truly something to behold.

And the difference between sand and finer silica is? wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka Deer, have you ever tried Birchwood Casey stock sheen and conditioner for this purpose?

What about Pumice instead of Rottenstone, or some of the prepared rubbing compounds available?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Birchwood Casey stock sheen is not something I am going to try... I have looked at it and put it on sample finish boards only. I believe it is mostly liquid wax (dissolved in a solvent) with rottenstone. It seems they are trying to do two things at once and I do not get it...

Rub out with rottenstone and clean completely before waxing...

BC is still sending out steel wool with their finishing kits and I am not a fan of steel wool...

Pumice is significantly more coarse than rottenstone and probably a bit harder. Pumice is obviously volcanic fluff ground fine. Rottenstone is diatomaceous earth... diatoms died in large quantities and left their calcium carbonate based "tests" in thick layers on ocean floors... It is used as filter media in swimming pools, the grit in JB bore paste, and fillers in lots of stuff, in addition to the use as polishing compound. It is softer and finer than pumice by a considerable margin.

Lots of the prepared rubbing compounds are very good, but most are either cheaply made commercial product paying off advertising, or mixtures of very specific types for very specific uses, and pricey. McGuire's makes a bunch of outstanding polishes for the purpose but they are designed for specific finishes. Rottenstone on aged oil is time-honored, veru good, and very cheap...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

And the difference between sand and finer silica is? wink

prepackaged silica costs more?

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Sitka Deer. Useful and helpful information.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (06hunter59, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,270
Posts18,525,479
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.