Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
What's Winchester's number one elk stopper in .30/06?

Supreme Elite XP3, Supreme AccuBond CT, Supreme E-Tip, Super-X Power-Point..............which is the best in any elk hunting scenario (close (30-40 yards)or far shot (under 250-300 yards), frontal, broadside or raking shot)?

GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I think the XP3 and the E-tip would be your best bet. But im also a fan of non lead core bullets. all i shoot is TTSX and E-tips. I wish they would come out with the XP3 bullet to reload. If you ended up going with the accubond, you wont be sorry you did. the accubond will still give you very good results. I deffinatly wouldnt go with the Power Point. I think they suck. If you ended up shooting a bull or cow in the shoulder, you will be wishing you had something other than the powerpoint. You want something that will punch through that shoulder and keep going. With the power point it would be kinda IFFY. any of those three bullets will do you perfectly good for the ranges your shooting. Just dont use a cheap bullet. Youll be thank full if you hit that shoulder bone. They are EXTREMELY hard bone!!!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the "best" bullet means nothing unless it shoots accurately out of your rifle. i suggest you buy a box of 180gr xp3 and a box of 180gr accubond (maybe a box of the 180gr e-tip too). shoot a few groups and see what your rifle likes - then hunt with that load.

Last edited by hotsoup; 05/09/10.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by hotsoup
the "best" bullet means nothing unless it shoots accurately out of your rifle. i suggest you buy a box of 180gr xp3 and a box of 180gr accubond (maybe a box of the 180gr e-tip too). shoot a few groups and see what your rifle likes - then hunt with that load.

Hi Hotsoup,

Within reason, I'm happy for accuracy to play second fiddle to performance. I guess it's pointless having a projectile that is capable of MOA or SUB-MOA performance if it cannot penetrate beyond seriously tough body areas/regions such as the shoulder etc. - I'm trying to avoid any frustration in the field by doing some home work in advance.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by idahostalker
I think the XP3 and the E-tip would be your best bet. But im also a fan of non lead core bullets. all i shoot is TTSX and E-tips. I wish they would come out with the XP3 bullet to reload. If you ended up going with the accubond, you wont be sorry you did. the accubond will still give you very good results. I deffinatly wouldnt go with the Power Point. I think they suck. If you ended up shooting a bull or cow in the shoulder, you will be wishing you had something other than the powerpoint. You want something that will punch through that shoulder and keep going. With the power point it would be kinda IFFY. any of those three bullets will do you perfectly good for the ranges your shooting. Just dont use a cheap bullet. Youll be thank full if you hit that shoulder bone. They are EXTREMELY hard bone!!!!!

Idahostalker,

Thanks for the info! Have you been happy with the performance of the E-Tip? Does the E-Tip penetrate anywhere as deeply as the TTSX?

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From past performance of he Winchester Supreme ammo-Accubonds on big game here in Aberta from 300WM / 300WSM and 270WSM - the Accubonds are a great choice. I reload Accubonds for all my calibers but a few friends still use factory and their choice is the WS Accubonds. Next pick wouldbe either the XP3's or the E-tips. All three are a great choice. Next would be Federal TTSX's.

Find what shoots best in your rifle and go from there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd run a 180g Power Point with no hesitation, provided they shoot well in your rifle.

Was shooting some of the Win 180g Power Points yesterday to zero in a new-to-me Ruger .30-06. They worked fine on paper and would work fine on elk. More expensive is not necessarily better, but I do tend to run fancier bullets in my handloads.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say the 180 grain bullet weight for starters and then find out what bullet shoots the most accurate out of your rifle as was mentioned prior by other forum members.

I reload my own so really don't know the specifics of factory ammo one brand to another etc. However, I do like Nosler Partition bullets in the Accubond, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets and Swift A Frame bullets a bunch for big game.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
180gr XP3 - One of, if not the best bullet available.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by SAKO85BAV
Originally Posted by idahostalker

Idahostalker,

Thanks for the info! Have you been happy with the performance of the E-Tip? Does the E-Tip penetrate anywhere as deeply as the TTSX?

Yes I have been very happy with the performance of the E-tip. I cant really compare penetration because I havent been able to recover a TTSX or an E-tip, but trust me, they will Penetrate all you want! I run them in my 270 and have shot bear and deer with them and they deffinatly dont go far if anywhere at all! I havent personally shot any elk with them but a couple people i have guided elk for in colorado have used them and they have worked great. The Main bullet use that i have guided are partitions, accubond, and ttsx and only a couple have brought E-tips. any of the following will work really good. just shoot wich ever one shoots the best and go slay somethin. Have fun while doin it!

IC B3

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E-tips are devastating on deer. I shot mine last year with a factory 300wsm 180 e-tip. He was facing toward me at a bit of an angle. I wasn't in the mood to track post shot in the dark - had been putting in lots of miles elk hunting and this night we took stand 200 yards from the road looking for deer. I aimed high in the shoulder to get the spine, and I did. When I was butchering him at home, that bullet had destroyed several vertebrae and the shock from the bullet expanding left something that resembled hamburger where much of the backstrap used to be. Didn't recover the bullet, as it exited after going lengthwise through the deer's spine. I'll be using them with confidence this fall on elk - in a handload.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Power Points have worked well for me.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by FNG
E-tips are devastating on deer. I shot mine last year with a factory 300wsm 180 e-tip. He was facing toward me at a bit of an angle. I wasn't in the mood to track post shot in the dark - had been putting in lots of miles elk hunting and this night we took stand 200 yards from the road looking for deer. I aimed high in the shoulder to get the spine, and I did. When I was butchering him at home, that bullet had destroyed several vertebrae and the shock from the bullet expanding left something that resembled hamburger where much of the backstrap used to be. Didn't recover the bullet, as it exited after going lengthwise through the deer's spine. I'll be using them with confidence this fall on elk - in a handload.

Hi FNG,

I can see why you like them, that is really good performance. Plenty of up-front damage and complete penetration - I've got to try them!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SAKO85BAV
What's Winchester's number one elk stopper in .30/06?

Supreme Elite XP3, Supreme AccuBond CT, Supreme E-Tip, Super-X Power-Point..............which is the best in any elk hunting scenario (close (30-40 yards)or far shot (under 250-300 yards), frontal, broadside or raking shot)?

All the above bullets are good.Myself I like the E Tip but the Power Point would serve just as well.Under-rated bullet that Power Point.imo

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd say to cover everything that could go wrong, Accubond, E-Tip, and XP3 in no particular order, one thing to keep in mind though is if you reload you can buy E-Tips and Accubonds as component bullets. I don't recommend Power Points for Elk, they'll work fine on deer but I feel they expand too much and too fast for Elk to penetrate properly. I'm sure some will disagree but I always err on the side of caution with Elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Moose 70yds 300 Win Mag 180 Power Point.Picture Perfect.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just an idle thought....how did we break and penetrate shoulders before we had mono bullets?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Just an idle thought....how did we break and penetrate shoulders before we had mono bullets?

Inconsistently, before the premiums

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

No kidding.
Remember moose hunting in my early teens with Federal Classic 180gr Hi Shok soft points for the 30-06.Also remember myself thinkin pretty good game getting ammo.Yup times have a changed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,520
Posts18,491,029
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.