Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Okay...let's say a fella wants to buy a new scope and has approximately $200 he's willing to spend.

Would you recommend he spend it on:

(A) REDFIELD REVOLUTION 4X12X40

or

(B) VORTEX DIAMONDBACK 4X12X40

All advice appreciated, but advice from those that have or do own one or the other is appreciated that much more.

Thanks!

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have both.The vortec is better.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
jdm953...better how? Better glass? Better adjustments or etc.?

Appreciate the advice...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been wondering about these two..kinda looking forward to hearing from tose of you with experience shooting them..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd vote for the Vortex. Picked up a Diamondback 2-7x35 myself, and am very pleased with it. My opinion is that the optics on the Diamondback are superior to the optics in the Redfield (some guy from some optics place in NY that will go unnamed mentioned that to me...).

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 4x12 ao diamondback and it is a great scope for the money.

MOLON LABE
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have the new Redfield 2 X 7 & the Vortex Diamondback 3 X 9
the Vortex get my vote between the 2.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hmmmmm, okay. Looks like my money is going to VORTEX. Probably can't go to terribly wrong with either for the money.

Plus....I like the looks of the VORTEX better and the really cool name!

Appreciate the input.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a 3-9 diamondback that I feel is among the better scopes in it's price range. Clarity is good, adjustments seem positive, and design isn't bad. I haven't seen the Redfields in person, so can't compare, but both have great warranty's, so either should be a solid buy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by swamphunter
Hmmmmm, okay. Looks like my money is going to VORTEX. Probably can't go to terribly wrong with either for the money.

Plus....I like the looks of the VORTEX better and the really cool name!

Appreciate the input.

There are 600 US workers at the Leupold plant who actually build the Redfeilds who no doubt would disagree with the recommendation of a 100% Chinese built scope over their product.

No one here on this thread as defintively specified exactly WHAT about the Vortex Diamondback is "better" than the Redield with any actual head to head comparisons.

The most ammusing post so far has been the the one quoting the online dealer who sells Vortex and NOT Redields/Leupolds saying defacto that the Vortex optics are "better". What in the heck would you expect him to say?

Last edited by jim62; 05/12/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Boy, that free market sure is a b!tch. Capitalism used to be a foundation of the American Way. When we get outdone by the competition, I guess we're supposed to settle for Patriotism.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have Vortex Crossfire 2x7, Redfield Revolution 2x7, and Vortex Viper 2x7. The Viper is a huge cut above the other 2. The cheap Vortex crossfire held up to my 358 and tracks great. The Redfield tracks well and looks good. Eye relief is not a problem with any of them.

I think the Vortex Diamondback has a resettable turret like the Viper and if this is case I would pick it. The dotz and turret work great in the Viper out to 525 yards so far.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"Boy, that free market sure is a b!tch. Capitalism used to be a foundation of the American Way. When we get outdone by the competition, I guess we're supposed to settle for Patriotism.

FC
"

Yep and so is a dose of common sense. Rather than acting like a lemming jumping off a cliff.

That's my whole point..

There is no proof on this thread that the "competition" has outdone anyone here.

Nobody has shown me any proof on this thread that the Vortex Diamondback is REALLY any "better" than any equivlent Redfeild model.

A lot of vague, anecdotal talk and apples to oranges comparions but nothing solid.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I have Vortex Crossfire 2x7, Redfield Revolution 2x7, and Vortex Viper 2x7. The Viper is a huge cut above the other 2. The cheap Vortex crossfire held up to my 358 and tracks great. The Redfield tracks well and looks good. Eye relief is not a problem with any of them.

I think the Vortex Diamondback has a resettable turret like the Viper and if this is case I would pick it. The dotz and turret work great in the Viper out to 525 yards so far.

Marc,

Your post here is the kind of apples to oranges comparisons I am talking about. There are some vital stats you have left out.

Let's look at the cost of the scopes you are talking about in order of price.

First, the scopes you mention owning-

Vortex Crossfire 2-7 $114
Redfeild 2-7 $129 most places right now(some even less)
Vortex Viper 2-7 $259

And the Diamondback 2-7 at $159 which you don't own yet.

Since Vortex has a strict price discounting agreement with their dealers, I sincerely doubt you will ever see those Vortex scopes priced cheaper anywhere. So the price comparisons should be valid.

My question is this - And I am not being critical of your scopes or observations here Marc, just asking a few questions for everyone to consider-

Is it WORTH offshoring more Amercian jobs to save $15 on a Vortex Crossfire 2-7 oer the Redifeld??.

Is the Diamondback REALLY a $50 better scope than the Redifeild 2-7?

Also is the Viper REALLY worth TWICE as much as the Redfield 2-7??

I sincerely doubt it. And that is my point.

The Redfiled 4-12 vs the Vortex 4-12 is a little tougher comparisons as they are pretty much the same price, unlike the lower powered versions in which case the Refields cost about $50 less.

Even at the same price, I would at least give Redfield a shot at building my 4-12 scope.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jim I don't know what ax you have to grind. I'll take the Viper over anything Leupold makes up to the VX3 and it's a toss up for me and yes I have that also in a 2.5x8.

Is all of your stuff made in the USA????????????? I doubt it. I could give schitt less about where it's made. I have been involved in international sourcing and seen plenty of factories outside of the USA. Guess what, human beings work in those factories to and very capable of making a quality product PERIOD.

I have no ax to grind with Leupold, hell I have a 1/2 dozen of them but there is other stuff out there and plenty of it's better.

Maybe you need to get Leupold to source their binos and rangefinders in the USA. Leupold doesn't have an issue with sourcing outside the USA, why do you?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Marc,

I am not grinding an axe at all. I also altered my post a bit above so you could see my veiwpoint.

I was not being critical of your opinion of those scopes, optically . But you DID leave out the price comparions- which are sort of important given the price ranges involved.. At TWICE the price, the Viper 2-7 SHOULD have blown away the Redfield at half the money.

And if you REALLY believe that the Vortex Viper is better glass than a comparable Leupold VX3, you are the first living person I have ever heard of to claim so.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's not a big toss up because the Viper is $259 and how much for Leupold VX3 with turrets and a B&C?. Truth be told the Viper and Leupold glass most likely come out of the same Japanese factory.

Have you ever used a Vortex scope?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, I freind of mine actually ons a 3-9 x40 Viper. Which I have actually compared at the range several times to a few Leupolds he owns.. I guess I was not quite as impressed as you are.

That is why your comparison of the Viper vs the VX3 is very interesting.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I will give Leupold credit on the Redfield. They did a helluva job on it for the price. I would pick it over Crossfire.

I can't call the Leupold glass superior to the Viper. Neither one of them are a Conquest in my eye as far as glass.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I will also give Vortex credit for a few very astute things they have done marketing their scopes.

1) They try to protect their dealers against cutthroat price cutting with their retail price agreements.

2)Not just anyone can be a Vortex dealer. A solid dealer network is important.

3) They back their product better than any other importer Asian sport optics.

To all gunmaker critics-
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 19 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.