Print Thread
Hop To
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm having a tough time with this one. I don't know about you guys but usually I know what I want and I go get it. Now, however, I find myself debating the merits of the models above.

Anyway, it's come down to a Ruger in 416 Rigby or a Winchester in 416 Rem. Mag.

With a Cape Buffalo hunt in mind, which would you rather have?

Thanks,

Landrum

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whichever one you like best. Absolutely ZERO difference in performance. I own a 416 Rigby and on reflection the 70 in 416 is the more practical choice. Same performance is a lighter, trimmer action. If I'm going to cart around that huge Rigby action, might as well stuff it with a 45 cal big bore. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Yea, I guess the sensible thing to do is buy a Ruger Lott and get the Winchester in 416 Rem. laugh

I need to dust off the old 460 Wby and take her for a stroll this weekend at the range. You know, even though I have owned that rifle for almost twenty years now I have never given it serious consideration for hunting. I bought it way back when just because I wanted it. Now that my dream of going to Africa is turning into reality, I might at least give the old gal some consideration.....push feed and all.

Landrum

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[bleep], if you have a 460 Weatherby why bother with that other crap??? I'm a CRF guy but I also hunt a LOT with Weatherbys. Nothing wrong with the RIGHT push feed, i.e, not a 700. smile jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I like them too, jorge. Perhaps my favorite cartridge of all time is the 340 Wby and the MK V has never given me a minute of trouble.

I guess I'm just looking for a reason to buy a 416 of some persuasion.

Landrum

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well that is a different story, and the 340 is just about my favorite as well. Just picked up a gorgeous Lazermark two months ago. half inch shooter with hand loaded 250 TSXs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I love my Rigby, but I also like heavy actions with standard weight stocks and barrels. Puts the weight in the middle. And I don't like belts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's wrong with belts?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a RSM. Extremely well built and worth the money. Having said that, the rifle is a trifle heavy and a tad clumsy. The brass is very expensive. If the new 70 is as well built as the Ruger, that would be the route I would go. However, since the only data point I have is the Ruger, I would trust it moreso than any unknown quantity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
What's wrong with belts?

They just don't work. My pants still fall down. I prefer suspenders. grin

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by himmelrr
What's wrong with belts?

They just don't work. My pants still fall down. I prefer suspenders. grin

Just don't wear them both together. John Wayne said, "Never trust a man who won't trust his own belt".

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd go for the Rigby every time when we're talking Africa. The combination of "Rigby romance" and fringe benefit of lower pressures is irresistable to me.
The Ruger/Rigby will come out ~ a lb heavier than the Win/Rem, but I don't see that as deal breaker since we're talking 9.6 vs 10.6.

Of course I'm going from experience with USRAC mid '90s 416.
A list of a few 416s I've played with over the last 20 years.
Rigbys - RSM x 5, CZ, McMillan Talon, and Kimber (the one that got away).
Rems - M70, No1.
416-375 Dakota on a Ruger MKll.

Not surprisingly, I'm a tad biased towards the Rigbys. Of the list above, I still own 3 RSMs, the CZ and the wildcat, which is about to become a 416 Ruger.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I would go win model 70 .416 rem to save money on ammo and lighter gun. The .416 Rigby was not very popular even in the old days of Africa hunting,

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not a big Ruger fan, but I like the newer RSM with the barrel band sling swivel and I think the integral quarter rib is sweet. However, if I were you and just had to have a new rifle, I'd go with a new M70 in 416 Rem. No flies on your Weatherby, and FWIW, I am also a big fan of the 340.

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a good picture of it and a little off topic, but this is my take on the subject.
Left Hand Ruger 77 MkII, .416 Taylor. [Linked Image] if I can just figure out how to get over there to use it.
Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What's wrong with belts?

I'm just not a fan. I like the Hollands, both of them, for nostalgia but there is absolutely no advantage to a belted case.

Actually I think that it would have been nice if cartridge designers back in the day had made basic cases on .4, .5 and .6 case heads, 2.5, 3.25 and 3.75 in length and in six or seven bore sizes from .19 to .45. Maybe 30 cartridges in all. And all without belts or rebated case heads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or disadvantage, except for magazine capacity and that is easily fixed. The belt as far as I'm concerned is a transparent issue with no bearing on cartridge efficiency. Some of the best cartridges in exisitence (and you mentioned two of them) have belts. Most of the calibers I use are belted so I suppose I have a bias. jorge

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Prior to all the short magnum craze (this latest run, that is), hardly ever did one hear fellow rifle nuts complain about belted cartridges. Now it's in vogue to complain about the 'useless belt' and all the theoretical reasons why a cartridge is hindered by having one.

Just an observation.

Landrum

Last edited by Landrum; 05/11/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well when faced with the decision of choosing which .416 caliber big game rifle, I went with the Winchester model 70 and have had no regrets about doing so. George Hoffman told me it was a good one and that was good enough for me at the time. Never had a problem with my model 70 Winchester in .416-Rem. mag. I once fired it 8 times in a row quickly in 102 degree heat and no extraction problems period.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I know two PH's who carry push feed 460 Weatherbys, and one who carries a push feed Husqvarna .458 Win. CRF ain't all that important, even though I own three of them. My personal preference is the Winchester, and I own a custom .458 Win on a Ruger action, which ain't really CRF, although they say it is.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,343
Posts18,506,168
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.