Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BOWHUNR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
But without Mr. Spots. frown

Booking Agent � Tracking Africa Safari�s (George Gehrman)
Travel Agent � Gracy Travel (Meliza Solis)
Airline � Delta/SA Airlink
Guest House - Afton
Outfitter � Mbalabala Safari�s
Location � Mbalabala Zimbabwe/West Nicholson Zimbabwe
P.H. � Lindon Stanton
Rifle #1 - Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H with Nosler Custom 300 gr. Nosler Partitions
Rifle #2 - Winchester Model 70 7x57 Mauser with Federal Vital Shok 140 gr. Nosler Partitions
Species Hunted - Leopard, Sable, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Bushpig
Species Taken - Sable, Waterbuck, Klipspringer, Zebra, (6) Impala Bait
Species Seen � Leopard, Crocodile, Waterbuck, Brown Hyena, Hippo, Eland, Kudu, Giraffe, Zebra, Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Impala, Warthog, Duiker, Steenbuck, Baboon, Monkey

I arrived in Johannesburg on April 29th and was promptly met by Bruce and Chris with Gracy travel. I can�t say enough good things about Gracy�s SA firearms permit and meet and greet services. My overnight was spent at the Afton House, which is always a pleasure. On April 30th I was off to Bulawayo and ready to start my 14 day safari.

My primary goal on this hunt was a big male Leopard and much of our time was devoted to checking, hanging and shooting baits (those who have hunted leopard over bait will know what I mean). My safari took place on two properties. Mashura Ranch which is southeast of West Nicholson, right on the northern border of the Bubiana Conservancy and Limerick Ranch the Stanton�s cattle ranch on the extreme eastern end of the Matopo Hills.

Because of the rains and early dates of my hunt this part of Zimbabwe was very green this year. We had several Leopards on bait at both properties over the course of my safari but only females and young males of around 130 pounds. We were seeing the tracks of three big cats with 42� plus strides, but just couldn�t get them to hit the baits. We even resorted to using live goats the last four days. I had told myself before leaving that I would not shoot a cat under 160 pounds so that took care of taking a poke at the smallish males that were feeding.

Green tree's and tall grass.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On the second day while out hunting for baits we stumbled upon this Waterbuck. We were able to stalk within 60 yards and a single lung shot from the .375 put him down.
[Linked Image]

On day number three I shot this Zebra Stallion for bait. However, upon examining his flawless hide I decided to keep him as a trophy. A quartering away shot with the .375 took him trough the heart, almost splitting it in half.
[Linked Image]

Day number five took us up into the hills in search of Klipspringer. We saw several, but those little guys can haul ass and have the vision of an Eagle. After a couple of failed stalks I took this ram at 175 yards with the 7x57. He was facing us and the bullet entered his chest and exited his rectum. Talk about being center punched!
[Linked Image]

On the ninth day of the hunt we came upon this guy in the heavy brush. This is the only animal taken that required more than one shot, mainly because of poor placement by the guy behind the rifle. He was strongly quartering away and the first shot with the .375 took him behind the rib cage, through the liver and into the off side shoulder. As we stalked to within 50 yards I gave him a finisher through the lungs.
[Linked Image]

We spent a couple of afternoons looking for a big Hippo bull but only found young bulls, cows and calves.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/mrbowhunr/IMG_1216.jpg[/img]

To say I was not disappointed about coming home without a Leopard would be a lie, but I kept it real from the start and realized with the standards I had set I had a 50/50 chance of putting a 160+ pound cat in the salt.

I had a great safari and was treated more like family than a client by the Stanton's. One thing is for sure though, I will return to Zimbabwe to take another crack at Mr. Spots. Even though my home and family are in Nebraska, there will always be a part of my heart that remains in Zimbabwe.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great report Mike and that's what hunting is all about. I also admire your high standards. I'd have busted a 130 with no problem! Still disappointing for you as the cats down there tend to be huge. You'll get him next time! Magnificent Sable! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful Trophies! The Sable is something dreams are made of.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful Sable for sure and other really terrific trophies as well. 'Ol spots has broken many a heart, including mine several times now. Keep giving them a go, might want to try it with hounds someday.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting. Some very nice animals.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Great report, I admire your "stick with it attitude", I assume you are going to try again? Thanks for sharing, I love that Sable!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent stuff..the Sable and the waterbuck are both spectacular...

Congrats!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
First thing that struck me was: great job holding out for the big leopard! It's an old lesson from deer hunting; if you shoot the little ones, you'll never shoot the big one.

That magnificent sable and your other animals had to ease the disappointment a bit though! Congrats on what I'd consider an outstandingly successful hunt. That big leopard is still out there, somewhere...

Regards, Guy

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
dude fantastic animals, really cool congrats

[Linked Image]
REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great stuff...sounds like a good trip....

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Your keepers are truly keepers! Well done! Congratulations!

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great report. The more I read about hunting leopard the more I want to go. The latest issue of Africa Hunting Gazette has me pumped up.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice report and pics! Congrats!grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the story and photos! That sable is a beauty, congratulations!!

Kevin Haile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mike, beautiful photo's and trophys and a very good summation of your hunt; don't know if I could have steeled myself to hold on a 130 pounder but admire the holding to your chosen standard.

Man, those pictures have me hearing the call again.

Your neighbor a bit to the north.

BOWHUNR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all of the nice comments guys. That Sable did take a lot of the sting out of the Leopard wound. grin

Originally Posted by Tracker49
Great report, I admire your "stick with it attitude", I assume you are going to try again?

Yes sir, it won't be next year but in 2012 I'll be back to settle the score.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing. By the way, nice caliber choices.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a waterbuck! Really nice, and sable are in a special class all to themselves. Sounds like a great hunt, and you have me itching to get on a plane. Nice work!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BOWHUNR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
By the way, nice caliber choices.

Thanks. Kind of "old school" Africa. wink

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were on our way out to check baits,when this fellow walked out and well..I had to...
You had a great hunt,fantastic photos
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 62 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,480
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.