Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Asking for a friend while I am at work....no time to research all the AZ regs. He has a Savage ML and will be shooting Hornady 300 gr SST's. We did not know if AZ had regs that allowed only black powder and substitutes, or not.

Thanks in advance.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
He's GTG.

6. To take elk:
a. Centerfire rifles;
b. Muzzleloading rifles;
c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic
black powder;
d. Centerfire handguns;
e. Handguns using black powder or synthetic black
powder;
f. Shotguns shooting slugs;
g. Bows with a standard pull of 40 or more
pounds, using arrows with broadheads no less
than 7/8 inch in width with metal cutting edges;
and
h. For individuals holding a crossbow permit
issued under R12-4-216, crossbows with a minimum
draw weight of 125 pounds, using bolts
with a minimum length of 16 inches and broadheads
no less than

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Not so fast, Tom. On a muzzleloader-only elk hunt here are the requirements from R12-4-101 of the Regulations:
"Muzzle-loading rifle" means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed ammunition, having a single barrel and single chamber, and loaded through the muzzle with black powder or synthetic black powder and a single projectile.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I don't think you can use smokeless powder in a muzzle only hunt, best to call the G&F to find out for sure.

Kent

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If thats the case we had better not tell an older acquaintance of mine....2 yrs ago he got a decent bull with his Savage smokeless and he is a "by the book" type of guy.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
No need to bring it up now! I'm sure the powder he used was black powder, or at least dark gray.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Originally Posted by AZBob
Not so fast, Tom. On a muzzleloader-only elk hunt here are the requirements from R12-4-101 of the Regulations:
"Muzzle-loading rifle" means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed ammunition, having a single barrel and single chamber, and loaded through the muzzle with black powder or synthetic black powder and a single projectile.

and this...

1. An individual participating in a �muzzleloader� season
shall not use or possess any firearm other than
muzzle-loading rifles or muzzle-loading handguns,
as defined in R12-4-101

Mums the word...

As I read it, must use blackpowder, now I'm a newbe at BP and have decided to put in just this year for deer muzzleloader season, doesn't mean I know everything about it... not like it was archery or rifle and such... wink laugh

Kent

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It is kinda vague.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Exactly....someone hep us out...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've googled as much as I can and cannot find a list of states or a clarification, the ones I've found say no smokeless powder in Az but you need to call and make sure it is prohibited... I feel it is in the language but don't go by that.

Good luck,

Kent

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I do have the query out on a local site with many outfitters and guides, they will probably know.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZBob
R12-4-101 of the Regulations:

Have to use black or synthetic like pyrodex, not smokeless. You also cannot use a revolver pistol or rifle, even a muzzleloading revolver, since they have more than one chamber.

Originally Posted by krp

1. An individual participating in a �muzzleloader� season
shall not use or possess any firearm other than
muzzle-loading rifles or muzzle-loading handguns,
as defined in R12-4-101

Kent

Can't have a centerfire or rimfire in your possession while hunting. This means you can't have a 45 auto on your hip, or a 243 in your pack.

I don't see where the confusion lies.

Last edited by MattMan; 05/13/10.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
OK, you will be getting a citation if it's not Blackpowder or Synthetic, smokeless is a 'NO-GO'.

Kent

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Another question.....purely hypothetical of course....how would the officer know if you have bp or 4759 in your rifle? Naturally he could look in your pack or possibles bag and take a peek at your powder kept for 2nd and 3rd shots so to speak. If I were a criminal, which I am not, I could put 4759 in my rifle and make sure I have some bp containers in my bag...and 4759 hidden somewhere. Just thinking off the top of my head that's all....how in the world do they enforce that law, except to make you pull the bullet and pour out your powder?

By the way, thanks for your help...I will be sure to forward to my buddy. Y'all have been a big help. Very much apprecated!

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I suspect many have accidentally made this mistake and I don't feel it's a big deal but to answer your question.

The officers know what guns shoot smokeless and if you are carrying one of those models they may investigate, during migratory bird season they will see if your pump or semi takes more than 2 down.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Here's the exact answer I received from a guide acquaintance of mine who is big in ML hunting. I should have posted this also.

Kent

I put that same question to several Game and fish guys several years ago and got the same answer all the way around,

Smokless powder Is not black powder nor is it snythic black powder, so it would not be leagle to use.
If caught using it there would be a tickent issued,

R L

Kent

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Glad my Remmy dont use the smokeless stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They wouldn't have to empty your gun. The lack of smoke and difference in sound when you fire WILL be a dead giveaway... and all they have to do is sit back and watch. Once you pull the trigger, you're in violation and you're likely to be cited. Having smokeless AND dummy powder on your person would show knowledge and intent to violate. It all goes downhill from there.

They may even take your elk and invite you not to come back for five years...

Seems like a huge risk, but you pays your money and makes your choice. I'd lean toward finding a decent load with a legal powder before coming out, and enjoying the hunt with no worries.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MattMan,

That's good advice. If you get caught and loose your animal or rifle or pay fines, it will ruin the good time you were there to have in the first place.

One time, just one time, I decided to play games and do something illegal. I put someone elses tag on one of two nice bucks I shot on opening day so my season would not end. After all, a lot of people do it and they don't get caught. Wouldn't you know, I got caught. The game warden took both bucks and both tags. I was hunting on my BIL's place and he got pissed so I lost a friend (temporarily) and lost the best hunting spot I ever had (permanently). I also paid a hefty fine, and I was in a deep funk for a month. What I did was stupid, and I paid a heavy price for my own stupidity.

Our time spent hunting is too precious to risk turning it into something aweful. Black powder and substitutes will kill deer as dead as smokeless. I hope someone here learns from my stupid mistake, but I won't say it was worth it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wouldnt do anything illegal, I'm just glad my ML dont have the smokeless capability so as to not have any questions at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.