Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Funshooter!
Well, not only would I consider it a vintage piece, but a well established and cherished member of your family! Nice old sporter 03's and such with an older scope are those rifles that bring the hunting memories flooding back!

Hang on to that piece!

Kaywoodie

I am and since I have no kids of my own I intend to give the rifle to one of my brothers kid when the time comes. I need to write the history down about the rife so maybe thay will pass it down the line. Thanks for the input I apreciate it.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by funshooter
I do not know if you would concider this Vintage but I have my dads old Smith Corona M1903A3 Sporterized 3006 with an old Redfield X4 scope probably late 50s or early 60s. The rifle is not worth much but it meens alot to me becouse my dad bought it from my uncle as a mil surp project rifle and he modified it him self by carving the stock the way he wanted it. He told me about that the day he gave me the rifle. Growing up my brother and I never new that he had carved the stock him self. I think that that makes the rifle at least to me Priceless.

Definitely a "Vintage" rig.. not to mention the incedible sentimental value.

I prefer to use the terms car collectors use. Anything 20 years or older is a "Classic" and anything 45 years or older is considered an "Antique".

Firearms designs have a longer lifespan than cars, but the terms still apply to guns pretty well.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Funshooter!
Well, not only would I consider it a vintage piece, but a well established and cherished member of your family! Nice old sporter 03's and such with an older scope are those rifles that bring the hunting memories flooding back!

Hang on to that piece!

Kaywoodie

I am and since I have no kids of my own I intend to give the rifle to one of my brothers kid when the time comes. I need to write the history down about the rife so maybe thay will pass it down the line. Thanks for the input I apreciate it.

Do write down that history. The kids will appreciate it! That top rifle I posted the pic of earlier. Well those old redfield mounts are stamped on one side(as they used to do in the old days) with the name of the brother of my old adopted grandad! Grandpa Marvin's brother was an ol' time smith here for years. And his name on that rifle means a lot to me! So write down that story!

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like you, I also have my father's Smith-Corona 03-A3 sporter he built in 1959, the year I was born. The scope is a Kollmorgen 4x Bearcub with post/crosshair reticle in Buehler rings, which are still mounted on the rifle today. Like yours, it's a cherished possesion I'll hand down to my boys. I will try to post pictures soon.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 05/18/10.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My 99EG in 300 Savage wears a Weaver V4.5W with pivot mounts. Took the buck below last year. Gun is 1952.
My 99A Saddle gun wears the same setup. It is a 1971 gun and is in 250-3000 and will hunt this year.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
i wonder if anyone would consider my model 43 winchester in .218 bee mounted with a weaver j2.5 3/4 inch scope an antique.... shoots just fine well over 200 yards out, as many ground squirrels have discovered to their dismay.... old weavers are still pretty good scopes.... i have several....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I love the old setups. That 43 Win in .218 with a J2.5 is super cool. I have a J2.5 that Mr. Weaver gave my grandpa. It sets on a low wall winder musket in .22 short. reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a couple sets of pivot mounts for a 99. I have been thinking about setting one and sticking a K6 on it. reflex264

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am a vintage Weaver junkie as well. Probably have 6 or so mounted on hunting rifles at present and a couple waiting in the wings. They seem to go best with a vintage 336 Marlin. I never understood laying out the price of a Volkswagan for a scope that doesn't shoot any better or kill'em deader. Here's a couple I use regularly:
Savage 99E .243 Weaver K4. More accurate than I am.
[Linked Image]
Thompson Contender with a .17 HM2 Bbl and a K10 AO - Bragging rights accurate.
[Linked Image]
What the heck - one more: Savage 99A in .250 Weaver K4. A cutie and a shooter.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dons1; 05/18/10.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You folks calling that stuff "vintage" really makes me feel old. frown

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got one in that vein, a 99F in .308 from 1957 with a Lyman All-American 4x with a post and cross hair reticle. I used it two or three years ago to take a little buck. I was undecided about the rifle till I saw the reticle, then I was hooked.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not long ago I bought a Savage 99 30-30 of 1932 vintage. It had a Weaver 330 scope on it with more spherical aberration than I have ever seen. The center of the crosshairs was clear and straight. It shoots MOA if you can do it.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 29S was the slightly less expensive version of the 330 (jim62--jump in here and educate us). It is honestly as clear as a bell, edge-to-edge. Its low power and field of view is less than desirable. Optics are uncoated too. Makes low light shooting a challenge.

I did see one of the 330 reproductions at Charlotte this weekend. This scope had significant aberrations. Don't know if this is typical for this scope or not.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I used a B&L 8A with B&L mounts on this 2006 hunt. 7 RM, 300 yds exactly, buck took no steps. My other B&L is on a like 270.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
My 29S was the slightly less expensive version of the 330 (jim62--jump in here and educate us). It is honestly as clear as a bell, edge-to-edge. Its low power and field of view is less than desirable. Optics are uncoated too. Makes low light shooting a challenge.

I did see one of the 330 reproductions at Charlotte this weekend. This scope had significant aberrations. Don't know if this is typical for this scope or not.

You are correct about the 29s having msot of the feaures of the 330 scopes. Since all of Weaver's pre war scopes were 3/4" tubed scopes with straight objectives, it is hard at first glance to tell them all apart.

The 330/440 scopes were te best they made until 1945. They were rated for any centerfire rifle had the longest eye relief of any of the scopes they made-3.5" and the best lense system.

The 29s was what Weaver considered a lower priced "dual purpose" centerfire /rimfire scope. It had 3.25" eye relief and anchromatic lenses as well as click adjustable turrets.

Bill Weaver had sort of a fetish for small 3/4" tubed centerfire rated scopes and kept them in his line until the late 1960s. After WWII the 29S was replaced by the "J" series 2.5 and 4x scopes scopes which were made until 1965 and then an "A" series was made around 1967 for only 1 or 2 years.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Here is another one of mine. This is a 10X Unertl on a 700BDL .264 Win Mag. This is a tack driver. reflex264

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I enjoy hearing old Weaver stories. Bill and my grandfather were best friends. One of my prize possetions is a J2.5 that Bill gave grandpa. It is a preproduction scope. There aint enough money in the world to buy that one. reflex264

a few of my old Weavers......

Here is a j2.5 post reticle in super nice condition
[Linked Image]

Here is a JC Higgins K2.5 made by Weaver. This was a brand new scope never mounted.
[Linked Image]

Here is one of the earliest production K4s. Early 1946 before they started putting the other adjustment screws on them.
[Linked Image]

Here is a C9 from the 60s.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by reflex264
Here is another one of mine. This is a 10X Unertl on a 700BDL .264 Win Mag. This is a tack driver. reflex264

[Linked Image]

I've never seen a Unertl receiver mounted 10x, internal adjustment scope before.
That is hugely cool.
Have had several Unertl's in the past, and one now; all external adjustment Target scopes.
Great pix of period rifles and scopes you posted.
Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread! A lot more pictures would make it even better.

Reflex264, I love your awesome Marlin rifles, especially that A from '52. Is it a 30-30 or 35? And what brand are those tip-up mount bases? I have never seen ring placement that far forward except on my own hand-made custom bases. I would love to get another SC one day, a pre-microgroove 35. I had a few back in the day but sold them to guys on the old Marlintalk forum. You probably know them as well.

I have an old Weaver V9 with AO (IIRC). It works fine. I'm trying to find a use for it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
This one's almost a little too vintage--although I'm grateful I have it. Factory-scoped 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer with the original Oigee 4x in Springer-type mounts. Left the factory in 1928, and optics were definitely different back then! My 10-year-old son compares this scope to a funhouse mirror, and he's not far off the mark--coke-bottle lenses with odd distortion around the perimeter, gigantic picket-type reticle that makes any kind of target precision out of the question but does show up pretty well in heavy timber.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,592
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.