Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'd get the WM hands down. I like having options and the WM gives them to you. Especially since you reload. The weight saving isn't a big deal unless you heading up into the mountains.

Not to mention if you shoot paper it will be more comfortable.

Tom

HR IC

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How much shorter is a WSM rifle really?
Given equal length barrels (to get equal ballistic performance) the WSM will be 1/2" shorter and 2 oz's lighter.

This is very true. If choosing between 2 basically identical rifles with the only difference being the 300WM and 300WSM chamberings, I'd say the slight difference in weight and length is not worth giving up the slight advantage of the longer cartridge. Same with the 308 vs 30-06.

Where the shorter cartridges shine is in the lighter rifles designed around them. Remintgon 7's, Kimbers, etc.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sam,
Until your post I had not realized the weight difference between the two Sako models, that's good to know.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I own a Rem. 700, 24" bbl., SPS SS in 300WSM. This rifle is equipped with a muzzle brake to mitigate the recoil. I load 180gr. Accubonds with 65.5gr. of IMR4831. This rifle/handload combination is very recoil friendly and will shoot .5" groups all day if I do my part. I took this rifle to RSA last yr. on a plains game hunt and took a Kudu, Gemsbok, Warthog, Impala and a good Burchells Zebra with one shot each. The recoil is sufficient enuf that I am currently practicing shooting uphill/downhill angles for an upcoming Auodad hunt in TX next Feb. with this rifle. I cannot comment on a 300 WM as I have never owned one. I have shot the 300 WM and do consider it to be an adequate cartridge for most game animals. I believe this will be a personal rather than a performance choice of yours only. Good luck!

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Years back I built a 300 Win Mag on a M70 H&H action as a rough country elk rifle with a 24" barrel, and "wildcatted" the cartridge by throating to take advantage of the H&H length magazine.The kreiger barrel did an easy 3150 with 180 gr bullets; and right on 3000 fps with 200 gr Partitions. It was a great rifle that weighed a shade over 8 pounds all up.I used it all over the west an many hunts.

I've had others as well.So I like the 300 Win mag but prefer less recoil these days.

I've never hunted with a 300 WSM but have owned and loaded for a few; I like it with bullets up to 180 gr's and notice it is a bit more manageable than the 300WM (it burns less powder and is not as fast),is very flexible and accurate,and if an action feeds and functions well I think it's a great cartridge.

What I'd hunt with one I'd hunt with the other;can't imagine there would be a hell of a lot of difference from a practical standpoint. If a guy has one he does not need the other,unless he is a 300 mag loony who likes to pick nits. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/19/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Owned 2 300WSMs. One was a pure factory gun that was picked up when they first hit the market. Shot patterns instead of groups but did manage 1 MOW(minute of whitetail) shot on an unsuspecting doe at about 150yds. Kicked like a friggin POed mule. Sold it. Purchased another 300WSM in the form of a Savage12BVSS. Shot lights out and although it weighed a ton, still produced a very sharp punch in the recoil dept. Only 300WM I have experience with is an old Mod 70 that i used to sight in for my brother in law. That rifle was easy to shoot. Had some recoil but was more of a good firm push. And I prefer that over an abrupt hard "slap" any day. Any who, Id go WSM just because I dont care for belted cartridges. JMO

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
.....I'd go WSM just because I dont care for belted cartridges. JMO

Beltless is much gooder !!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a 300 Win Mag for years in a SS Remmy 700. It was accurate and hard hitting and I really liked it. I wanted to use it a bunch and sort of "one rifle man" it, so I used it for everything - even calling coyotes. While I was never undergunned, it did kick a little.

One day, while contemplating the halves of a coyote I had just called in, I asked myself, "Why are you putting up with all this recoil?"

I started shooting 223's and 243's and 270's and 25-06's and 7-08's and enjoying it a lot more and killed stuff just as dead.

Then I got a chance (which fell through later) to go hunt big bear country, and used it as an excuse to get another 30 cal thumper.

I did the analysis you are doing, and went 300 WSM strictly because it was available in a Kimber Montana.

With Montanas all over the place at $800-900, the WSM is a strong first choice IMHO because of the rifle in which it is packaged.

My 300 WSM Montana kicks way less than my old 300 Winnie - mainly due to stock design and stock quality, yet it is lighter and so nice to carry when hunting in country for which such a cartridge is appropriate.

I'm not interesting in carrying a rifle heavy enough to make a Winnie fun to shoot, and the recoil taming characteristics of a Montana really shine in a 300 WSM.

DJ

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DJTex

My 300 WSM Montana kicks way less than my old 300 Winnie - mainly due to stock design and stock quality, yet it is lighter and so nice to carry when hunting in country for which such a cartridge is appropriate.

I'm not interesting in carrying a rifle heavy enough to make a Winnie fun to shoot, and the recoil taming characteristics of a Montana really shine in a 300 WSM.
DJ

That hits the nail on the head.

Also, fits my habits of liking to quickly load another round while watching and waiting to see if the game will try to get up. I work the bolt with my rfile to the shoulder and don't have to move my face on a short action. LimbSaver pads also help on a lightweight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i own 2 300wsm's and would never think about switching to a wm.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Sam,
Until your post I had not realized the weight difference between the two Sako models, that's good to know.

StrayDog, the larger scope, 'heavy' Optilocks, and steel magazine/bottom metal add a fair amount extra weight to my 85. I have Talley's and a fixed 6x on the A7 so that helps lower weight.
I bet if a guy setup an 85 Finnlight with a lightweight scope and rings you'd be pretty close to the weight of my A7.

Should add that like Kimber, Sako has a specific action sized just for the WSM cartridges.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would start by handling all the rifles chambered for those two cartridges.

I would then pick the rifle I liked the best. Only personal experience and preference can choose the one that is best for you.

The ballistic differences between the two is neglible to say the least.

I have owned and sold both cartridges in different rifle variations. The 300 WSM in CZ Model 3 was sold to a friend who loves it and will never get rid of it. Fantastic rifle. I have first right of refusal IF he would ever sell it.

For 300 Win Mag, I had a Whitworth that was sold to a collector, and a rem 700, and Sendero left me uninspired and went down the road.

Arcus Venator
G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks to all who contributed a great deal of helpful information in regards to my decision between .300WM vs .300WSM.
I have pretty much decided on the WSM, but I do have one last question. Have any of you who own a Sako 85 in a WSM caliber had any feeding problems with the WSM cartridge? I have Sako's in .243 Win, .308 Win, and 7mm Rem Mag that feed and eject slick as glass. Will the WSM rounds do the same?

Again, thanks to all,

G2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Have any of you who own a Sako 85 in a WSM caliber had any feeding problems with the WSM cartridge?

Gramps, I don't think the 85 WSM will give you any issues. If you work the bolt with any sort of urgency it cycles rounds very well. However you can make it feed a little rougher if you work the bolt slowly.

I had an issue with the magazine spring in my 85(spring didn't quite have enough 'push') but it was a relatively easy fix and didn't have anything to do with the WSM case geometry.

I have four 300WSM dummy rounds(seated bullet/no primer) I could send you to try out in the gunshop, the guys behind the counter shouldn't have a problem.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
if you want to shoot 200gr or bigger, get the win mag. if you can be satisfied with 180gr bullets (and remember, that weight bullet has killed everything in north america many times over), then i'd say get the wsm. when both are shooting 180's, there really isn't that much difference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious hotsoup but what in your experience with 200's in the WSM would lead you to go WM over the WSM for the 200's?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dober, I don't think there's enough room in fatboy for powder and 200's.....(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a WSM headed my way via GA Precision for T&E.(new prototype hunting rifle) Cant wait to get my mits on it!!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweet, I wanna check it out!

A 300WSM Pat?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rumor has it, course I was told that the 338 WSM couldn't handle the 250's either but Fat Bastard handles the SMK's just fine.. wink

Pat what twist on the WSM and what cal? Fat or skinny?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,084
Posts18,501,682
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.