-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking good Fishkilla. Can't wait to try mine out now!!! Are you using the Kifaru style stove pipe as well??

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Yeah, Kifaru pipe. That setup is amazing, the large stove puts out so much heat, I cant get over it.

Last edited by Fishkilla; 03/30/10.

Ahh, nice marmot
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Well I got the TiGoat standard jack and guess what, it's too small for the vent in the SL4. Guess I'll send it back.

Let me try again. For you guys who put it on the SL4 back vent, you must have ordered a custom size. Looks like I need about 16 inches across the bottom, 4 across the top and 14 height. Did you get a custom cut from TiGoat or did you find another source?

Conrad, when I made my jack for the sl4, I made it out of an extra piece of the jack material that was sent inside cylinder stove. When you send back the standard jack see if you can just order the material.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great thread guys. I am new here and am in the process of buying a Go Lite Shangri-La 5 and installing a Ti Goat stove jack in it. Friends with B Lance and he turned me onto Shangri-la's and this site. I have been researching tipi shelters for some time. I live in IA, and will be using this in the the midwest and Canada at times, so I will need the mesh nest for bug control.

Last edited by HardCoreHunter; 04/13/10.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anybody seen any SL1 nests lately? Everywhere I look, they are sold out.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Backcountry.com is having a 20% off sale, and they have the SL1 nests.

Code = 56L-1-C3JBA

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks B. Sorry to sidetrack this interesting thread.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TTT.....

Quick question if anyone doesnt open my other thread.

How do you guys find the temps in these Shangra-La shelters? Without a liner, how cold of temps have you stayed in them?

A shagra-la 5 should be about perfect for 2 guys plus gear and a stove eh?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
TTT.....

How do you guys find the temps in these Shangra-La shelters? Without a liner, how cold of temps have you stayed in them?

Yea, the sl5 perfect for 2 guys and gear. I have only stayed in 40 degree weather with mine, and my stove ran me out easily if I let it. I am only a bow hunter, and will generally never be in any colder weather then the mid 20's with it, so I am glad I left the top vents intact and have no plans on closing them. Plus, with my mods, my sl5 pitches so tight to the ground, that I want the safety of the roof vents keeping me from getting CO2.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4097930/5

Last edited by HardCoreHunter; 05/19/10.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
TTT.....

Trev,

I have had a SL 4 (which is the same as the new SL 5) at 0 F using a small Kifaru stove. It was OK but you had to constantly stoke the stove. A medium would take it to -10 F maybe -20 F. I think the cylinder stove will be comparable to a medium.

Ed T

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by HardCoreHunter
TTT.....

Yea, the sl5 perfect for 2 guys and gear. I have only stayed in 40 degree weather with mine, and my stove ran me out easily if I let it. I am only a bow hunter, and will generally never be in any colder weather then the mid 20's with it, so I am glad I left the top vents intact and have no plans on closing them. Plus, with my mods, my sl5 pitches so tight to the ground, that I want the safety of the roof vents keeping me from getting CO2.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4097930/5

Hardcore,

I believe if you spend any time in your SL 5 at or near 0 F you will have a different opinion of the roof vents.

Also none of the SL's stake as tight to the ground as a Kifaru tipi (or for that matter Tim's new hex shelter,) that coupled with the Kifaru's being available with liners, they are a lot tighter than any GoLite. I have never had any concerns with CO2 and a wood stove and I have been using these since 1988.

Not to disparage the GoLite's. I've got three of them myself. But I also have a lot of real world time in Kifaru tipis -- Para Tarp, Super Tarp,Para Tipi 4 man, 8 man and 12 man, plus limited time in 6 man and 16 man.

If it wasn't for the modularity of the SL's, by that I mean using them as a single wall tent, with a nest or with a nest and a wood stove, I'd most likely be using nothing but Kifaru's.

Tim's new shelters are really promissing. A different design than either the GoLite's or the Kifaru's.

Ed T

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ed, $800 is a lot of $ to save(the cost of a hunt in some cases or another new bow)and for a bow hunter that gets to hunt when it is in the 20's to the 30's for typical lows, I doubt I will ever see cold weather in it. I know that with my modified sl-5, there isn't much oxygen getting in with my tight pitch, and I can't imagine how a kifaru or other tipi is getting a tighter pitch then mine. Tight is tight. I added 16 extra stake points and eliminated any looseness in the straps. It is tight so tight that if it could walk, it's butt would squeak. Guys die all of the time in campers with a little stove going, so I am glad those vents are there. Who's Tim?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here ya go Ed, in case you havent followed my tipi thread. Stakes are only half in to show all of my additional stake points I made to this shelter.

Last edited by HardCoreHunter; 05/19/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Hardcore,

I believe if you spend any time in your SL 5 at or near 0 F you will have a different opinion of the roof vents.

Ed is spot on about the potential for heat to escape out of a top vent. I don't have a stove in my Golite but gotta say when I create an upper window on my Kifaru shelters the heat escapes big time in colder weather.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
no doubt, heat rises. Glad I am a bow hunter and out of state big game archery seasons are closed by the time cold weather rolls in.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hardcore,

1st off I want to say you did a great job on your SL 5 and stove as well as the posts on how to do it.

I personally don't want to pack 16 more stakes but did do have a tight pitch. Still isn't going to come near a Kifaru with a liner for tightness. Think double wall when using a liner.

And it isn't so much that heat rises as it is that cold sinks. With the vents open you get some very uncomfortable drafts when its cold. You should be fine with your in the seasons you plan on using it.

Any of the floorless tents allow plenty of oxygen to come in so that CO2 isn't a factor in my opinion.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ed,

Do you sew your vents shut or just creat a flap for them? I would think something along the lines of a velcro deal would work well eh?

So, without a liner, cylinder stove, add some new stake points to suck it down a bit to the ground, and you figure I could get away with a Shangri-La 5 and a Cylinder stove setup for a November sheep hunt? I dont mind having to stoke the fire, but the ability to warm up at the end of the day, dry clothes, and go to bed warm would be nice.

I'm going to have to see more info on the tipi you mentioned as well. And either way I'm going to have to twist your arm into making a stove for me...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another quick question for you guys who run these tipis with stoves...

Anyone ever have any issues with sparks or anything hurting the tarp? I understand most people are using a screen of some sort, but I'm curious if anyone has had any bad luck with sparks or damage, etc?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Hardcore,

1st off I want to say you did a great job on your SL 5 and stove as well as the posts on how to do it.
thanks

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Rackmaster

I had problems with sparks on my homemade tipi the first time I burned the stove. I was not using screens, and I also was using cottonwood for fuel (had a pile of it in the back yard). So, I think it was user error that i got the burnholes in the tipi. I was using a stove the size of a Kifaru Artic, and my 6" stovepipe was about 12' long. The tipi itself is about 12' tall, so the pipe stuck out about 2 feet from the top once it was installed on top of the the stove.

I have also ran a medium stove out the side of my homemade pyramid about 2/3 of the way from the ground. I do use spark screens on that one, and i have not had any holes yet.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (AnthonyB, bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.