-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I want to know whether you guys like the super spike or the regular spike. I assume you all use the zip in panel too? I am getting the butt bucket for sure. Help me accessorize this pack. Pack will be used with UL equipment for 7 day outings and meat hauling. Thanks.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have the j104 with the super spike duffel but I do not recomend it. Instead just purchase a lightweight dry bag and strap to the the pack. I do not see any advantage to having a heavy bag that I can zip on. The compression straps hold anything on so the zippers are not needed.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I decided to not get the butt bucket and just lash my bow to the pack when climbing, and I also ditched the zip in panel.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Where are all of the erblestock blue widow guys?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got one, but no real experience to give you yet. I bought it from a member here with the Super Spike Duffel and the zip in panel. I also have a rain cover for it.

Hopefully I'll get to use it for everything it's designed to do in October ;-) - got my CO 1st season bull tag!!!

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for reminding me to get the rain cover. The pack is water repellent, but we all know how that goes.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have read many reviews and had guys tell me that these packs can really handle a heavy load, can expand and carry all of your gear, yet compress down to a 2200 size for use as a daypack.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's my plan - use it to pack in everything and pack out, hopefully, camp and meat. And use it as a daypack while hunting. I'll most likely pack all my extra clothes in the duffel, and everything else in the bag itself (tent, bag, stove, food, etc.) for the trip in. Then put everything that won't fit in the outside pockets in the duffel on the way out with, again - hopefully, the last load of meat in the main compartment.

I'm still wondering about the scabbard vs. some other method for carrying the rifle. Not sure I would put the scabbard in the "pocket" or just strap it on one side of the pack. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations here?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think you can just lash the rifle to the pack. I am doing that with my bow anyway. Lots of guys told me this is what they do. You will only not want your weapon in your hands when using trek poles.climbing...other then that you will always have it in your hands.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
HCHunter,
There were three of our hunting party used blue widow's last fall and packed into a week long elk camp. One guy used a badlands 2800. The 2800 was a bit small for the pack in. I prefer the zip in regular spike camp over the super spike duffel. The widow's carried our camp and hunting equip just fine. The guys with super spikes attached didn't need all the space provided by the larger add on pouch. The Blue widow doesn't get the attention they deserve. Very well thought out features.
I've used badlands and also have a kifaru SC and Siwash. Kifaru belts are a little more comfy but the widow is easier to adjust torso lenght and back stay configuration.
We did use the top pouch\day pack feature for day hunts out of base camp.
FYI, the widow without a duffel compresses as small as my Kifaru Spike camp if that interests you.
good hunt'in,

IC B3

J
J
I hunted last year with a JP9 on a 7 day bow hunt in CO. I didn't purchase either of the Eberlestock duffels. If you go that route, I personally would recommend the zip in panel. If you'll be hunting with your pack loaded with much of anything you'll need to use the main compartment which is mesh. My pack was full of pretty brightly colored dry bags which I preferred to have covered up.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have not had the J109, but been tempted, but the J104, 104 I had were built great and if they had the adjustable toros I wprobably would still have them. I have the duffel and if using it I would say put clothes and lighter stuff in it due to it will be far away from your back. I still have it and use it with my pack frames and the like. There are some awsome deals out there right now on the Blue Widow.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info guys. I already ordered it with the super spike and rain cover on Archerytalk from a friend that is a dealer there. He shot me a price shipped to my door for $297 for it all. I can always get the zip in panel later if I want it, or down size to a spike duffel, or not use any. He offers a 30 day return policy.

Last edited by HardCoreHunter; 05/22/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 257_X_50, afisher, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 7 invisible), 837 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.