Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_G

I'm sure it could easily happen. I went on a four-day fishing trip with a good buddy a few years ago and as we approached the lake, about 4 hours from home, he realized that he had forgotten his fishing rod. He'll never live that one down.

A couple yars back my brother and some other family members went to the range, a 45 minute drive. with all the "help" I had, packing up the rifles, ammo, targets and other stuff took no time at all.

Unfortunately, while the ammo bag left my office, it never made it past the dining room table. Somebody got sidetracked along the way.

My fault for not checking.

(Thankfully, my brother had a bunch of .40S&W and .45ACP - but we didn't dget to do near the shooting we had planned on.)

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/22/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
as he told me, "I never could see the difference between the .270 and .280 on game anyway!"

HERETIC!! laugh

Ingwe

Heavy drinker would be my guess. grin

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, he doesn't drink at all--which may be the root of the problem!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Actually,I don't understand the bravado.A new guy with less than a year on the forum and 200 post,ask a question,only to get put down from some for asking something that might be important to him and has not seen before..Searching can be a pain..

Those of us that have been here a while should be more tolerant of the new guys trying to learn,even if it is old hash to some.

Just an opinion....

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate self-appointed internet hall monitors.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not really a question, he has his opinions already on it, asking others theirs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not really a question, he has his opinions already on it, asking others theirs.

We all have our opinions but actual experiences help..I think that is what he was asking and it started out sarcastically..We were all alitle green behind our ears at one time or the other.

Remember back then?

Loco.. grin

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I offered to him the use of my Sako .220 swift but he said he didnt want to take a chance of wounding an antelope with my gopher gun!!

That's priceless!

Originally Posted by scenarshooter

I'm not making this up...it really happened!!

I believe you, Scenar.

I once saw a guy shoot 17 rounds at an antelope in Wyoming one time and thought that had to be some sort of record. But your guy's in another league.

It wasn't until me and a buddy were unfortunate enough to share a caribou drop camp with two French Canadians that I heard/saw the best. Over 20 ( I lost count) .270 rounds fired at a caribou at over 900 yards. All misses, some spectacularly so. He even had his buddy loading his clips for him.

It looked more like he was taking a beachhead than a caribou.

Would you like to know what he was shooting?

Was it a custom built precision rifle shooting handloads with a $3000 dollar scope on top?

Nope.

It was a Remington 740 Woodsmaster with a Tasco scope mounted on see-through rings 2" above the bore. He was shooting greenbox Remington factory ammo.

My buddy and I just shook our heads in disbelief......

I'd have paid money to watch that hunt Scenar's talking about.

Puts my stories to shame.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I remember that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grabbed my .300 Weatherby Deluxe out of the safe one time thinking it was the .257 with almost the same identical wood. I loaded the .300 with the .257 ammo and had hunted for nearly 3 hours that afternoon and was sitting in the stand admiring the rifle when I realized it was the .300 instead of the .257......Needless to say I am glad I had a the boring old 30-06 Winchester Featherweight in the truck with several loose Core-Lokts in the glove box. Actually shot a nice buck that evening with the 06. So Yes, it happens.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter
Actually,I don't understand the bravado.A new guy with less than a year on the forum and 200 post,ask a question,only to get put down from some for asking something that might be important to him and has not seen before..Searching can be a pain..

Those of us that have been here a while should be more tolerant of the new guys trying to learn,even if it is old hash to some.

Just an opinion....

Jayco

That's pretty much my thinking as well.

The put-down's, especially from someone that makes his living hashing ballistic minutia in print, is especially telling, but in no way surprising.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stroker
I grabbed my .300 Weatherby Deluxe out of the safe one time thinking it was the .257 with almost the same identical wood. I loaded the .300 with the .257 ammo and had hunted for nearly 3 hours that afternoon and was sitting in the stand admiring the rifle when I realized it was the .300 instead of the .257....... So Yes, it happens.

Funny you should mention that....during my short stint as a range officer at an anonymous public shooting range, I found, what I thought was, a unique piece of brass. It looked like this:

[Linked Image]

Turning it over I found this case head stamp:

[Linked Image]

I thought to myself, someone must have been sighting in a 7mm RM and a 300 Weatherby and gotten one round confused.

I then looked more closely and found 19 identical cartridges on the ground!

Just glad they didn't try the 30 in the 7. Of course they'd only have done that once.

True story!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
osd
I thought you might be showing that off......

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
that's the rare Winchester Super Short Dumbass round.

they didn't make too many WSSD's. keep it, might be worth something.;)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually, he doesn't drink at all--which may be the root of the problem!

Mule Deer, I don'i trust a man that doesn't drink.

This has been a fun read.

I don't what this makes me but I own two chambered for the .270 Win and two rifles chambered for the .30-06.

I like both.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
"so this thought just started running through my head. does the 270 or the 30-06 do anything better than the other? would you be able to tell a difference when shooting at game and on how quick the animal went down? Personally i dont think their would be a much of a difference if any difference at all. I started off with an 06, sold that (not because i didnt like it but i wanted to try a 300 out and wanted some extra $$ to spend on it), bought a 300, sold that pretty quick (just didnt cut it for me. People were always talking about "upgrading" from an 06 to a 300 up to me their just wasnt an "upgrade" that i felt. its the same bullet going around 200 FPS faster. WOOPTIE DOOOOO!!!), bought a 270 and a 338 win mag and i VERY happy with both of them. I would deffinatly buy an 06 just because its a good cartridge but for right now theirs just no point to. what do you think about the 270 vs the 30-06? Whats your opinions on the two?"

There's the original post.

I've caught a couple of cracks about not taking it seriously.

Well, now I will, partly because I've taken more big game with the .270 and .30-06 than any other cartridges. The .270 was ahead for a while, but the .30-06 took the lead (by just a little a few years ago).

But first I'd like to analyze this thread. There have been 70-some posts so far. Twenty-four of them suggested a dead horse, or the equivalent. Thirty-one were off-topic. Sixteen took the question seriously.

Of the 16 posts, that took it seriously, not a single one said anything that hasn't been said or written on this subject for decades. A few made the obligatory comment about "the big bears." Some even stated the obvious, that the .30-06 uses heavier bullets.

Since the original poster stated he's already read or heard quite a bit about various cartridges, and has already used a .30-06, .300 magnum, .338 and .270, I doubt he has learned anything.

Probably he was hoping for better, but since this debate has been going on since 1925, with nothing much new that's applicable since the Nosler Partition appeared in 1948, I doubt there COULD be anything new said.

Since over 3/4 of the posts didn't even bother with the original question, it looks like most posters felt the same way I did. But apparently I was the only one to hurt anybody's feelings.

So here's my serious answer: The .30-06 uses heavier bullets than the .270, though not all the time. I have shot a bunch of animals with both rounds, and seen a bunch of other animals shot with both rounds, and when the shooter put the bullet in the right place, all the animals died quickly. If the shooter knows the trajectory of the load he's using, both will work to the limit's of the shooter skill, on the same kinds of game, except maybe really, really BIG bears.

Glad to help with new and startling information.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's like the old question Ginger of Maryanne (I'm old)...like cole k said I like both. Maybe just enough difference to not be the same but similar enough to be familiar.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You make a living splitting ballistic atoms in print (like the 270 vs 30-06)... I enjoy your writing, despite the very narrow topic. Thing is, the oft repeated criticism of you is that you talk down to readers and this thread is a perfect example.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you decided to measure groups outside to outside instead of center to center (don't laugh, I know someone who does), the 270 will shoot smaller groups than the 30-06. grin

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eh, on the 'fire and in most parts of life, ignorance hurts, and it should.

I was mocked and lambasted not too long ago on here for wondering about "Mountain Hunting in California". It was outlawed there decades ago, and reconfirmed in 1992. I would have known this if I had even typed in the phrase "mountain lion hunting in california" into google. I wouldn't have even needed to open a page, just the descriptions alone explained that.

My point was and inquiry exposed how ignorant to the topic I was. I got called out on it. I wasn't butt hurt about it. I actually found it rather funny.

Everybody here has missed the mark greatly a time or two and been ridiculed by the lot. I think that's part of the fun of the 'fire. If anything, this guy was just initiated and welcomed to the fold. His jabs at my ignorance are welcomed any day.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.