Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by SKane
You make a living splitting ballistic atoms in print (like the 270 vs 30-06)... I enjoy your writing, despite the very narrow topic. Thing is, the oft repeated criticism of you is that you talk down to readers and this thread is a perfect example.

Brad-
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. MMV, but I can't think of another writer that's as pragmatic and lends as much common sense to his prose than JB.

He disparages the originator of this thread, repeatedly, and gets a clean slate. Bullchit.

It's his MO... he thinks he's bringing down tablets from God but he's writing the same ballistic gack he's putting the fellow down for from Idaho. I'm calling Bullchit. Barsness never asks questions as he's apparently past learning. The only thing suspect, to borrow his sig line, is something other than his own opinion... I know a little man when I see one.

Wow..... you are a piece of WORK! John Barsness DOES have lots, and lots , and LOTS of rea world experience that entitle him to make well thought out experience based observations and comments. Wise folks tend to LEARN from others who have been there and done that.

WOW #2... ALREADY at 10 pages. On a beat to death hackneyed topic. Just... WOW

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Wow..... you are a piece of WORK!

No doubt. Aren't we all?

John Barsness DOES have lots, and lots , and LOTS of rea world experience that entitle him to make well thought out experience based observations and comments. Wise folks tend to LEARN from others who have been there and done that.

No one ever questioned his real-world experience, talent as a writer, common sense, or pragmatism in print. I thought that was pretty obvious by "I enjoy your writing"... I got pissed the way I believe the originator of this thread was treated and said a couple of hard things. Basically, I further drug down an already drug down thread. For that I apologize to Mule Deer and everyone else. Over and out. Permanently.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Betting he was an MPBR guy.....

After reading Pat's account of how this guy conducted himself, I doubt he would have much of a clue about either method...he just sounds like a deplorable field shot.No gear or method would help him.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I am not going to read all of this, but simply put, I believe the response is best left to bias.

In the 70's I hunted a lot with a .270 and a .257 Weatherby. On medium deer sized game, I felt the .257 was a faster killer which simply means a higher % of DRT. The.270 was very good with Speer 110gn flat bases and at that time, the Hornady 110gn HP was the darling of that weight. My favored bullets in the .257 were the 87gn Hornady, 100gn Nosler Solid Base and the 115gn Parition. To the .270, add the 130gn Hornady.

At that time I got into the magnums quite severely. Through the 80's had a wonderful .300 Winchester which I sold when offered too much money for it.

The .30/06 and me read like a Boddington Story, in that I touched on it in the early 70's and never went back seriouly until about 20 years ago when I got a slew of .30/06 rifles to review over a period that permitted me to do a not of range work and culling using this, the .270, and a lot of others.

My bias lead me to the .30/06 which I used as an excuse to buy another Wincehster Featherweight. To this day one of my most accurate rifles and also one of my most successful rifles looking back on the game taken. It has about 3,000 rounds through it now and an aweful not of blood on its hands.

I don't think I could go back to the .270 as I have also used the 7x57 going back to my first Featherweight in about 1981. That cartridge has performed beyond any sales pitch that could be offered.

I simply would not take a .270 out to play when I have a 7mm Mauser and a .30/06. That is no slur on the cartridge, just a bias on my part.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't forget popcorn! laugh

ingwe

No doubt.....

The most impressive part of this thread to me is the fact that Pat was able to get the guy 68 shots at an antelope!

That takes some skill right there.......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't forget popcorn! laugh

ingwe

No doubt.....

The most impressive part of this thread to me is the fact that Pat was able to get the guy 68 shots at an antelope!

That takes some skill right there.......

I'm guessing the rifle hadn't been shot 68 times prior! Poor bastid was probably closing his eyes and saying a little prayer before jerking the trigger.

68 shots...I better go load up some more hunting ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 06 is my favorite in that case capacity followed closely by the 280 Ackley. I remember that guy here named "Big Stick" used to say that the 270 was the most lame of the 06 family. For the most part, I tend to agree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could easily see having a sleek, svelte Mountain Rifle in a 270 or 280 with a single 130-140 grain dedicated load, while having a standard weight 30-06 with a dedicated 180-220 grain loading; one for scrambling or crawling after smaller fleet-foots, the other for tracking down heavy meat.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
AussieGunWriter

My experiences have been quite different than yours.A 270 Win has been in our family since I was born.I don't ever remember a year in my youth our freezer was not filled with Elk from it.There was never a year hunting that an '06 was not in camp as well as other calibers and to this day,I have never seen any of them put down Elk quicker/better than the 270 with the right bullet and shot.

Of course that was before the net.It was only last year I bought my first '06 and with two 270's in the safe,it is truly hard for me to pick up the '06 for the tough hunting we have now compared to what it once was.

Kinda like a guy using a Husky chainsaw to fall tree's and just got his first Stihl and your a mile in with one saw..I'm sure,and it does,the Stihl would work great as alot used them,but I was a Husky user from head to toe and new them and what they would do where the Stihl suffered from weight and RPM's...The Stihl is a tank and almost bullet proof but the Husky is a Porche,quick and nimble, if you treat it right.

Treat the 270 right and feed it good fodder and it will never let you down in the lower 48, as the Husky chainsaw.The '06,like the Stihl,just does everything but nothing great,in my opinion.

My choice for a Deer/Elk hunt and one rifle at any range,would be the 270 Win over the '06 based on only what I have seen over many years of seeing them both used on the same game in the same steep country.

Just another opinion.

Jayco

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I like the .270 over the 30-06
I like ford trucks over chevy
I like Brunettes over blondes
I like marlin lever guns over winchesters
I like Dick York over Dick Seargent
I like David Lee Roth over Sammy Haggar
I like captain kirk over captain picqard
Mcdonald's over burger king...
Coke over pepsi....

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

Over and out. Permanently.

Yeah right, we could only hope.

But just in case, don't let the door hit ya in the ass.........

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
fingers crossed.....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
He's leaving over that? Strange times..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a confession to make...

Ingwe was the hunter who shot 68 times. LOL. grin

Breaking my previous record of 62.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

That's not even a Browning record John. grin

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Um...would it make a difference if one was a push-feed and the other one was a controlled-feed action?

Now where's that horse...? grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

What JM says is true...

I did shoot 68 times.....

At gophers.....

And I killed 68 of them wink

And they are smaller than antelope, and faster..... whistle

laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Originally Posted by Idaho_Biker
.270 for my money, a little flatter, a little faster, 140 gr. works for me, reaches out to around 400 yds mostly for deer here in Idaho, still based on an .06 case. Both are great cartridges and no matter where you are if you forget your ammo you'll be able to always find .270 or .06, try that with a 35 Whelen.

Not trying to be a turd but have you ever heard of anyone who went on a hunting trip and forgot their ammo? I've been hunting since the late 1960s and I never heard of anyone who forgot their ammo and had to save the trip by going to the local hardware store in some small town and picking up ammo.

I've run out of ammo and had to buy shotgun shells locally but thats another story.

grin
You, sir, have not heard of me then; I did that very thing only it was with .340 ammo except I did have four rounds which turned out to be enough. Ironically, I'm obsessive compulsive and make lists of stuff that I check off but I also have ADD unfortunately--think, carefully making a list...then losing it. grin

Ok you guys; time to relax on the .270 v. .30-06 argument; the nature of these arguments is that the whole generations of those involved must die off before it can be revived again after being discovered on your ninety year old great grand daughters old iPad found stored on a salvaged heritage satillite circling mars. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
12 pages.... Past even my overly pessimistic estimates of how far this dog, or dead horse, might limp.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Wow..... you are a piece of WORK!

No doubt. Aren't we all?

John Barsness DOES have lots, and lots , and LOTS of rea world experience that entitle him to make well thought out experience based observations and comments. Wise folks tend to LEARN from others who have been there and done that.

No one ever questioned his real-world experience, talent as a writer, common sense, or pragmatism in print. I thought that was pretty obvious by "I enjoy your writing"... I got pissed the way I believe the originator of this thread was treated and said a couple of hard things. Basically, I further drug down an already drug down thread. For that I apologize to Mule Deer and everyone else. Over and out. Permanently.

Clapping hands here...I don't believe it though...

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.