Hop To
T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Greetings,
I was told an article I wrote over on Sniper's Hide was linked here so I came over to take a look. This looks like a really interesting site.

Last week I mailed off my application to AK state troopers. Academy starts in spring but it's looking like there will be upwards of a thousand applications received for 30 slots.

I'm a machinist by trade and there is basically no work here in the southern,lower 48. I'd like to hear of even summer opportunities there in AK. I'm a machinist, hunter, competition shooter, outdoor skills educator, fly guide and so on. I have resumes available.

Any advice of any kind would be appreciated.
Thanks so much

-Tres
NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes available.. Please inquire

John 14:6
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The oil patch and possibly the mines could use machinists.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never hunted flies... Is it dangerous? Did not realize things had gotten so bad in the South! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Troopers have been very active in recruiting over the past couple of years. I expect good recruits are never in too great a supply. It's a job more daunting than many are up to. I wouldn't lose heart.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've got a couple of shipyards and cannery's that may be of interest.

IC B2

T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Sitka Deer,

Heck yeah man, Some flies here in the south have gone rouge and zipped across men's appendage without authorization as they urinated, nearly dis-membering the guy. I'm often called to blood trail the trousers who of course are aiding & abetting the outlaw fly. I'm paid the most for bringing the fly to justice, but get a little on the trousers as they are accessory to crime. : ]

Thanks for the recommendations guys; I'd sincerely appreciate if you would give a few more specifics: names of companies to apply with, etc...

Thanks all & keep smiling!
Tres

-Tres
NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes available.. Please inquire

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought it was possible to attend the police academy in Sitka on your own dime. If you did that, you'd be a big step up from the competition.

Brian

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think you can. You can also pay to attend a police academy and get hired on by a local pd..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The village I'm in is looking for a VPSO, Village Public Safety Officer.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
The Troopers have been very active in recruiting over the past couple of years. I expect good recruits are never in too great a supply. It's a job more daunting than many are up to. I wouldn't lose heart.

Hell- the APPLICATION is daunting!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I've never hunted flies... Is it dangerous? Did not realize things had gotten so bad in the South! wink

Go to bed, Art.. Still, funny!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[quote=tresmon]
Sitka Deer,

Heck yeah man, Some flies here in the south have gone rouge and zipped across men's appendage without authorization as they urinated, nearly dis-membering the guy. I'm often called to blood trail the trousers who of course are aiding & abetting the outlaw fly. I'm paid the most for bringing the fly to justice, but get a little on the trousers as they are accessory to crime. : ]

Welcome to Alaska!

T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Hell- the APPLICATION is daunting!

Yeah, 42 page application, half of it is basically asking you to describe every wart you have (ANY/EVER drug use, ANY/ EVER_____ anything you never want mom to know about- pages and pages of questions) and they state if you make the first round cut they will ask you about those answers while on a polygraph!

I busted out laughing at some of them "Have you ever hurt someone against their will during sex?"

Umm, well umm- well, she was a virgin..I guess it hurt, and I'm guessing she did not want it to hurt, she did said "ouch" in a disapproving sounding tone, but she also seemed clealry in agreement with the overall act, so really to answer your question- I just don't know!

Last edited by tresmon; 05/21/10.

-Tres

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
somehow I think you'll end up fitting in around here

not sure which vocation you'll wind up in, but you're gonna do fine, if your posts are the indication they seem on your ability to roll with the punches.

good luck to ya, this state has been so wonderful to me and mine

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a CA Correctional Officer I am impressed with the Alaska Dept of Corrections. If I wasn't tied into the CA pension system I would work for them.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Thanks 2legit. Heck man with all the punches I get I been rolling a long long time!

Thats encouraging Sisk....

-Tres

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oil patch in ND is hiring, and booming. I would think machinists would be pretty high on the list.

T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

D.Deer,

Thanks! But sitting in East Tennessee at this moment, "ND" means "North Dakota" to me and the only "oil patch" i know of is under my old hunting 4x4.

I'd love for you to give me the long version!

Thanks,
Tres

-Tres

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm from ND (42 years ago)- and she's a booming SOB in the oil industry - they figured out how to get oil out of rock, basically, in the Bakkan? Formation in western ND. The reserves are HUGE. My brother, based out of Denver, is doing quite a bit of work up there for the oil companies, tho he's not in the industry himself- he's a historian, of all things!

And it ain't far to Montana! smile Actually, western and northern ND has some great hunting and fishing. Deer, sharptail grouse, turkey, waterfowl (great waterfowl!!!), pheasant, coyote - heck they even have a moose and mountain lion season!

Public land is limited (in comparison to AK!), but it's there. Farmers and ranchers generally like to see their deer shot off pretty good, so if you play your cards right.....

Last edited by las; 05/23/10.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Western ND has two "new" formations: the Bakken shale formation which is already being drilled heavily, and underneath it the Three Forks/Sanish formation that is not yet being touched for the most part.

These two together may be the largest contiguous oil reserve in the USA, so it's got some staying power.

The ND 'oil patch' is roughly centered on Williston, which is alos the name of the "basin" that holds the oil.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,338
Posts18,487,696
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.