Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have never flown out of N. America and have always booked isle seats torward the front of plane, but flying to Africa in 2011 Im re-thinking my seating options and maybe sitting in rear of plane so I can stand for long periods at a time without blocking the isle?

You guys ever take seating options into consideration? {front vs rear of jet}. Yes, I have to sit in the poorboy's section. I cannot afford 1st class.

How far in advance {approx} do you purchase airline tickets to Africa?

Last edited by slg888; 05/23/10.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Godspeed

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Best place to stand is by the lavatories.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Purchase far enough in advance to reserve bulkhead seats...barring that, get a seat next to one of the exit doors( footroom is wider..).....both give you more legroom..I even heard they might be charging a tad more for bulkhead seats...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Best place to stand is by the lavatories.
That's why I was considering a seat in the rear. I was not given much of an azz cushion upon birth, so sitting too long hurts.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My buddy gave me Delta miles, we bought upgradable tickets and flew first class on a 777. I didn't want to get off the plane. If you can swing first class rocks on a flight like that.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd opt for the seat with a 4 point buckle because I'd be so shot up with Demerol I wouldn't want to fall out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Purchase far enough in advance to reserve bulkhead seats...barring that, get a seat next to one of the exit doors( footroom is wider..).....both give you more legroom..I even heard they might be charging a tad more for bulkhead seats...

Ingwe

The above and at least an aisle seat so you can throw a leg out which seems to helps me at least. 1 Fly through the night 2. Talk to your family doc about sleeping pills 3 take head phones and your music 4. And, consider a couple of books you really want to read. 5 should be #1- check if your carrier has a version of Economy Plus, a slightly more expensive seat with more leg room. For perspective United charges $75 more for this seat from LA to Omaha, half way across the country; to me, it's worth it. I don't know if In'l carriers haven this presently but compared to a ticket that's already $1800 it may be worth it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depends on the carrier if you can reserve bulkhead seats. I bought tickets in December for our July trip and best I could do was aisle in the back. The booking agent told me that bulkhead was blocked. I wasn't too surprised as these are normally held for frequent fliers. Same is true of emergency rows.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I don't think you can reserve them more than a year in advance.....and the prices can change (like mine did) while you are waiting....start watching prices and book when they get low
(1200-1400$)

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Are you looking at going directly from JFK or Dulles to Jo'Burg? That flight is brutal and something that, personally, I will never do again. Look at going through Europe and that will help break up the trip, even if you just have a long lay-over somewhere. In addition, you can access a lot more of Africa directly from Europe, if RSA is not your hunting destination.

Seat selection is something I've never really worried about. Availability will be dependant on when you travel as well. Take an inflatable cushion, walk some laps around the plane when possible, and content yourself with the fact that you're going to hunt in Africa.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have heard some horror stories of trying to transport firearms thru Europe. I kinda liked the direct flight idea....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally don't like sitting near the loo. Hard to get any sleep, etc. because of the traffic and bumping of the seat. Also not fond of the aroma.

That being said check out seatguru.com. I travel a lot and it's very accurate and useful.

I've also flown through Amsterdam with rifles. No issues, BUT you need to get some forms filled out and faxed to the Dutch HQ. It pays to work with travel agent who knows about traveling with guns. I've used Gracy and have yet to be disappointed.

Breaking that flight up is nice.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A HUGE +1 on Gracy..

Collectively we need to lobby the airlines to put a direct flight between Atlanta and Windhoek, surely the hunting traffic to Namibia warrants it during peak season....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For SAA, my preference is a window seat. It allows you to lean against the side of the plain for some sleep, helped along by a couple of Ambien.

The more you can sleep through the flight the better.

Also, a fleece and a small inflatable pillow make for a comfortable nap while you lean against the window.

BTW, I fly straight to Jo'Burg from Dulles, then right on the next flight to ...? Its a long flight and all you can do is pass the time. No reason in hell to make the travel one minute longer than required, it ain't fun no matter what, and eats into any or all of work, hunting or family time, so I think its best to just grin and bear it and go as direct as possible, no matter how long or uncomfortable the long leg over. Better one uncomfortable, boring experience than two slightly shorter uncomfortable, boring experience - plus a plane change, shuffle through an airport and a wait - that take even more time.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 05/23/10.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When we flew FROM RSA to Dulles myself and 2 of my hunting partners has emergency exit lanes and it was AWESOME!!

Keep in mind though, if you sit in the back of the plane, you will be among the last to get off, which means among the last to clear customs which if you have another flight to catch and be huge!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
A HUGE +1 on Gracy..

Collectively we need to lobby the airlines to put a direct flight between Atlanta and Windhoek, surely the hunting traffic to Namibia warrants it during peak season....

Ingwe

That is an excellent idea!

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I contacted Gracy travel as you guys suggested. Tickets can be purchased 11 month's in advance and Gracy will contact me this August.

Gracy also suggested African Sky for 1st night, but I hear alot on Campfire about Afton House. Which do you prefer?

Last edited by slg888; 05/25/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer Afton but have heard only positive feedback on A.S. It seems Afton and Gracy are having a bit of a pissing contest at the moment, but Gracy will still book you in to Afton if you request it.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the international first class. I was sad when the flight was over.

Check out Seat Guru.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.