Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

By gum, this thread DOES have legs after all........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I 'd like to give this one a shot from a serious point of view.

As far as experience with both cartridges,I have used these two to take scores of deer and dozens of hogs as well as the occcasional elk,bear,and antelope.

There are some subtle differences in the field IMHO.

The 30-06 tends to make bigger wound channels,exits more often,and tends to leave a bigger blood trail.

If you are hunting in thick,wet cover where blood trails are hard to follow,I think the 30-06 is a better choice.

If you are hunting in places where the size of the blood trail is not critical,take a 270,it tends to shoot flater and is a bit more pleasant to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread reminds me of the great pictorial in Playboy a few years ago featuring the blond set of triplets cavorting in the shower-room, and trying to choose which one you'ld like to be stuck in the cabin with. You can still get great enjoyment out of trying to choose the best one, even if you can't go wrong with either one of them.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I 'd like to give this one a shot from a serious point of view.

As far as experience with both cartridges,I have used these two to take scores of deer and dozens of hogs as well as the occcasional elk,bear,and antelope.

There are some subtle differences in the field IMHO.

The 30-06 tends to make bigger wound channels,exits more often,and tends to leave a bigger blood trail.

If you are hunting in thick,wet cover where blood trails are hard to follow,I think the 30-06 is a better choice.

If you are hunting in places where the size of the blood trail is not critical,take a 270,it tends to shoot flater and is a bit more pleasant to shoot.

This is enough to make me want both..... grin Good synopsis by Britt.

I like the analogy to the blondes as well....who says this thread has no substance! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Originally Posted by Idaho_Biker
.270 for my money, a little flatter, a little faster, 140 gr. works for me, reaches out to around 400 yds mostly for deer here in Idaho, still based on an .06 case. Both are great cartridges and no matter where you are if you forget your ammo you'll be able to always find .270 or .06, try that with a 35 Whelen.

Not trying to be a turd but have you ever heard of anyone who went on a hunting trip and forgot their ammo? I've been hunting since the late 1960s and I never heard of anyone who forgot their ammo and had to save the trip by going to the local hardware store in some small town and picking up ammo.

I've run out of ammo and had to buy shotgun shells locally but thats another story.

grin
You, sir, have not heard of me then; I did that very thing only it was with .340 ammo except I did have four rounds which turned out to be enough. Ironically, I'm obsessive compulsive and make lists of stuff that I check off but I also have ADD unfortunately--think, carefully making a list...then losing it. grin

Ok you guys; time to relax on the .270 v. .30-06 argument; the nature of these arguments is that the whole generations of those involved must die off before it can be revived again after being discovered on your ninety year old great grand daughters old iPad found stored on a salvaged heritage satillite circling mars. grin

I have two sharp broadheads left for my bow, will not buy more until I shoot these! I get a kick out of people who think they are going into a war zone and carry 20 rounds of ammunition on or about their person when deer hunting that is unless they are hunting with a .223 ( grin )

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ruraldoc,

Excellent post, with some good information.

On the other hand, I'd like to quote an old elk hunter I know here in Montana, who killed a pile of elk with a .270. I told him once that some people claim the .270 doesn't leave much of a blood trail.

He snorted and said, "Son, with a .270 you don't NEED a blood trail."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

cool

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ok, let's put this to rest if the gentle readers here will allow. For now.. If possible. [/b]All things being equal[b] the .270 is a "little gentler"; a " little flatter" on the asset side; the '06 is is just a "little bigger" on the asset side. We will focus on assets for brevity and clarity. Well, guess that's it. Remember all other things, aspects, foci are equal.

Application: would all agree the .270 can be [/i] fittingly [i] well used from varmint to bull elk or their equivalence assuming intelligent choice of bullets? Ok. I realize "fittingly" is the pregnant-with-meaning word here. Would all agree that the '06 is [/i] fittingly [i] appropriately used from, say, pronghorn to AK moose with of course this same diligent attention to bullets? Ok. Remember, all other things are equal.

So, on final argument, there is tremendous overlap in appropriate use with some slight but noticeable differences which may give an advantage to one or other at the edges of there application.

Well, I'm convinced. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ruraldoc,

Excellent post, with some good information.

On the other hand, I'd like to quote an old elk hunter I know here in Montana, who killed a pile of elk with a .270. I told him once that some people claim the .270 doesn't leave much of a blood trail.

Since I'm pretty sure the statute has run,let's just say that I know 'a guy' who used one 150 grain partition from a 270 to make two blood trails in the snow that led a short distance to two very dead bull elk,not an intentional event but things do happen.

Hunting is like a box of chocolates....... grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm telling.. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oddly enough (or not...grin) but I've seen more 30 cal bullets inside dead elk than .270 bullets inside. Fact is over the last 30 some years I can recall finding exactly two .270 bullets and both of those were in bruins. Of all the deceased elk I've been around taken with the .270 (and there's been a lot of them) I/we've never had a .270 slug no exit and make another hole.

Can't say that for the 30's, fact is friend Brad consistently finds 30 cal bullets in his dead elk. And yeah I get the fact that it's been dead elky's.

Point being, by my way of thinking and by my experience I'd not concur that I've observed better blood trails with the 06 over the .270. But, that's just been my experience and we know that may well vary from people to people.

Of all the elk I've taken and seen taken with the big 7's I can recall only finding one slug and that was from my bull from last year. (150 TSX that lost it's petals). Take that back, my bud and I found a slug in a small bull he'd taken with his STW, the bullet hit the bull (from top angle) thru the spine, then thru a front and just under the off skin, the bullet was a 175 Horn.

Take it for what it's worth and toss another log on the Fire please.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Said volunteer that I found the 150 TSX in

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dober, interesting about the exits.

Your WolfBull was a big one!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's a mighty nice volunteer you found there to test that TSX! I'm thinking I would keep a semblance of him on the wall to remember the occasion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Dober, interesting about the exits.

Your WolfBull was a big one!

Yea, tis but even with the same cartridge, load, powder bullet, rifle etc., there is variation even in animals of the same species in penetration, presence of exits, blood trails, running dead distance, etc. again, because we can't eliminate all the variables.

So we've probably come full circle to a guy probably has to kill a 100 critters with each, minimum, to begin to see the subtle differences between the two and of course with the same bullet type and SD.

The rest-these perceived differences and experiences-is pretty well anecdotal and really statistically meaningless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx Sam, did you get your deer/elk/lope apps in yet?

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, got 'em in a week or two ago.

Even got my Rez apps signed and in the mail.....(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt it would take a lot of critters to truly confirm how this or that round works, but I've found over the years as the amount of game I observe taken with certain combo's that I get a better idea as to the trends. And when I made my comments about finding bullets that is what I was going off of.

And like I've always said, use a bullet long enough and sooner or later it'll give one reason to go hmm...?

Dober

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No doubt it would take a lot of critters to truly confirm how this or that round works

Really?..Hummm..Not knocking you sir buttttt.When the old Silver Tips/Bronze Points etc etc worked for years...

Why is it different now coming from a dedicated Nosler user?Sheeet...

Hunting is getting to hard for me to understand, these days.No slam intended,Mark.

Jayco grin

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.