-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A No. 1 coil spring leghold trap mounted on a post with a piece of meat tied on the pan.......

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One question though.

Would a Super Colibri way over penetrate a magpie? laugh

fish head

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by fish head
One question though.

Would a Super Colibri way over penetrate a magpie? laugh

fish head

Only if it's a mono-metal bullet...

Oh, wait... wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just remembered one method of dealing with problem birds. I've seen this done on charter boats out on the ocean.

Take a 2 or 3 foot length of monofilament and tie a hook at each end, bait both hooks and toss it in the air. A whole anchovy on each hook is the best bait. A seagull, will for sure, swoop on it and fly away with it's prize. The intesting part is when another seagull sees the other dangling piece of bait.

When the second one grabs his prize they fly in a 2 or 3 foot circle doing a spiral ballet all the way down to the water.

I'd never do something like that though. grin

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CB's or bait mixed with fly killer such as "blue death" = no more or less magpies.

A shotgun through the nest should cure the rest of em.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a big red cat that the magpies hated and the feeling was mutual. They would get very close to him and more than once he would act like they were on ignore then would make a quick leap and grab one. That would cause them to keep their distance for a while. Very effective.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Things like this affirm my decision to never, EVER live inside any city limits..

I shoot em anyway... nope it werent me. I've been home all day and didn't hear anything. It must be fire crackers. grin

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have chased birds away with laser beams. I can laser a bird eye 300yards away with mine. They do not like it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Baited leghold trap on the deck.. simple...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put a bounty on their heads and let the free market deal with it.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.....one more day before seeking the final solution.
fish head

Funny Chit

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
the slingshot or "wrist rocket" wouldn't be too bad for those living in town- gives you a new hobby or skill to improve on, and gets rid of the problem. I used to be pretty good with one; I had a Falcon model that could chuck 1/4" stainless ball bearings pretty damn hard.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try a rat size snap trap tie a piece of bacon to the trigger drill small hole in the rear of the trap so you can hang it from a finishing nail. If they hang in one tree put the trap as close to their favorite spot as you can. I have used this on several jobs to eliminate birds. Not sure if Magpies will fall for it.

There are few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of High Explosive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd leave them alone. The Magpies are just doing their jobs of protecting their babies.

I know they're disgusting birds, but I think they're funny..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
i hate magpies too.
they go crazy whenever they see a cat, much like you describe.
they have ruined many a afternoon nap.
haven't heard that they harassed dogs too.

you can try to take them out with a broomstick and a hammer, i've used that with luck at work.
if they're hard to get to, try soaking bits of bread in spirits and see if they'll eat them(to get them drunk).
it works on seagulls, but then again they will eat absolutely anything.

stuffing rat poison inside food sounds like a winner to me, but i would be careful picking up the leftover.
so you don't kill your neighbours pets.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I'd leave them alone. The Magpies are just doing their jobs of protecting their babies.

I understand protecting their babies and all, BUT.......

The babies are dead. If you read the whole thread I tried to at least save one of them. Stupid fugger flew back into the back yard. Now mama and papa out out for revenge. mad

I'm gonna buy a box of Super Colibri's and go down in the crawl space and sight in my .22 at about 18'. I'll use that as my zero and is should give me a 13' to 23' mmh (minute of magpie head) range without having to hold over or under. I know, I know - that's the wrong way. I should be twisting and turning turrets for the shot. Problem is, my Leica CRF only reads in yards and not feet and the online ballistics tables won't work in one foot increments either.

I have a Bushnell 4-14x40 adjustable objective scope mounted on the rifle I'm going to use that focuses down to 10 yards so parallax issues won't be a problem.

Recoil isn't a problem either and I should be able to see and call the shot without a spotter.

I'm still worried about way over penetration though. grin

If I don't twist and turn I'll be pizzing Steelhead off and if the bullet way over penetrates I'll be pizzing off Jeff O. If my Prius drivng (with an Obama bumper sticker), Obama lawn banner flying liberal neighbors find out I'll have the cops on me for sure. This has to be a covert operation. wink

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

my grandfather farm and ranched here all his life, he inherited his fathers place so basically spent his entire life on the same acreage....he had a real live and let live philosophy with most all critters....he even left rattlers alone so long as they werent near the house or barn, insisted on bullsnakes live close to the buildings cause they were better mousers than the barn cats and less trouble grin.....

however he hated magpies with a passion, they were to be killed on sight....when he was a kid he was charged with watching over a sick calf while his father went to get a sled to drag it to the barn, had a hell of a time with the magpie trying to peck the eyes out of the still live calf trying to hasten its demise, he had no respect for them for the rest of his life.....

granted the magpies were just doing what magpies do but being trained to shoot the SOB's since yah could point a rifle kinda gets it ingrained in yah.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anyone mention a good old fashioned .177 cailbre pellet?? at low velocity( under about 600 fps) it doesnt WAyyyy overpentrate and the Magpie flies off to cork over in some liberal's yard...

Least wise thats how I heard it from the second cousin of a freinds brother in law..... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What do you think? Any other ideas?

fish head

You already know the solution............just get some sub-sonic stuff & take care of business.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh and on those 60 grain SSS loads, i have found they work fairly well in some of the older bolt actions with the really long barrels......they dont shoot for chit out of my 10/22 but ive got an old Remington that they shoot decently out of.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,775
Posts18,515,672
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.