Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
6.8 is more lethal at close to medium range and better through barriers, also packs about as much ammo per weight as 5.56, but it's pretty poor at long range, even bested by 5.56 shooting heavies. As someone mentioned, Grendel or 6br would be great at range but you loose ammo carrying capacity and I do worry a bit about feeding problems that could crop up if widely deployed.

The church is near, but the roads are icy. The pub is far away, but I will walk carefully.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no idea of just what kind of crap a Grunt carries in his ruck these days, but I do know what we carried and yeah, it was heavy. 7,62 NATO rifles and ammo are just fine. I re-state-LOSE THE SELECTIVE FIRE!!!! I've been in a few where some guys would be blowing off magazines like they were popcorn. It might have made them "feel better" but it sure as hell wasn't killing anybody. Ya wanna be reasonably safe in combat?? Kill every mothers son of them. Never saw one scared to death or even much impressed by being missed.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 05/26/10.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Even with a .30/06, body shots with a high stability 7.62 projectile are unreliable."

WTF, Over ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I have no idea of just what kind of crap a Grunt carries in his ruck these days, but I do know what we carried and yeah, it was heavy. 7,62 NATO rifles and ammo are just fine. I re-state-LOSE THE SELECTIVE FIRE!!!! I've been in a few where some guys would be blowing off magazines like they were popcorn. It might have made them "feel better" but it sure as hell wasn't killing anybody. Ya wanna be reasonably safe in combat?? Kill every mothers son of them. Never saw one scared to death or even much impressed by being missed.

ET,
Your post reminds me of that saying(can't remember who first said it):
"shots fired do not constitute firepower, shots on target do."

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"Even with a .30/06, body shots with a high stability 7.62 projectile are unreliable."

WTF, Over ?

GTC

It's the simple truth. I'd trade a .30/06 shooting fmj for a .243 shooting expanding bullets any day of the week. As I stated earlier, even when the .30/06 was the cartridge of our battle rifles, it wasn't regarded as reliable for center-of-mass 1 shot stops. fmj projectiles do best when they hit bone. If you miss bone, you may or may not have good results.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The military should go to green bullets, 70 gr Barnes TTSX's, they never over penetrate!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
EvilTwin nailed it.

On the money and why? because he's been there! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by MarlinMark

Originally Posted by wildswalker
Yeah okay...

How 'bout we engineer a better overall battle plan instead.

Like blow the mutherphuckers straight to hell with lots of very large explosions that leave nothing standing, asap, and get out of there once and for all.....

That was tried in Vietnam once upon a time. Didn't work very well.

Point missed, obviously.......

[Linked Image]
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought "wounding" was the point of warfare. One incapacitated soldier takes 2 more to care/evac them. I thought that is why they shoot FMJ and not fragmenting rounds. Shoot to injure, not to kill.

But I've never been there.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
basic teaches shoot center mass, get them down, just as you say POC. Me, I prefer dead!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
That was tried in Vietnam once upon a time. Didn't work very well.

Not quite. Had we bombed the cities, dykes, dams electrical complexes, POL, Railheads into China, mined Hai Phong, established a blockade it WOULD have worked. We bombed a lot of jungle in Vietnam and once again, all roads lead to democraps....jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 340boy
I think an M14 would be nice in such country.
Why not let Springfield Armory build a slug of M1A1s for the Army and USMC in "The Stans"?

Have you seen the prices of a M1A1 lately? My guess is the army can't afford them. tired

Ain't that the truth.
I really want one of the M1A1 syn stock, shortened barrel jobs.
That with an ACOG and I would be in pig's heaven.

I really LOVE my "Squad Scout",......it's a real strong running rifle.

The "Socom" is a bit of an oddball,.....a friend's got one, and accuracy is OK, but the damn thing is LOUD, and looks like a flare going off in low light.

We've handed standard MIAs, Scouts, and Socoms back and forth on the line, and all agree that the Scout's Muzzle break is the best performer, and quickest back on target,......

Not cheap, but worth every dollar. Maybe if we jerked the U.N. up short, and cut off their welfare check, we COULD afford to equip our fine fightin' folk with em'.

Oh, better yet, laterally transfer alla'the funds going to Felipe Calderone's little racket,.......to the purchase of these fine rifles.

GTC

yup the socoms stink smirk
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA DAV
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The Corps qualifies at 500 with the M4, no?

Show me as many AK toting ragheads that can do the same........
No individual raghead needs to do that. They can use massed fire at longer ranges than can US soldiers using M4s.

And, you know this exactly how?

Of course, we can't use massed fire at all, huh? Damned M240s and M249s can't do that, right? MkIXs must suck at it... M2s fail, I guess.

Try guessing on something where you actually have a semblence of a clue. Hint: this ain't one of those topics.
Using 5.56 NATO out of 14" barrels in massed fire isn't going to be as effective at long ranges as 7.62X39 from AK-47s. You cannot argue with physics.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Somebody needs to ask the guys there, on the ground what they need. Then just [bleep] get it for them, stand back and let them do their job.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The Corps qualifies at 500 with the M4, no?

Show me as many AK toting ragheads that can do the same........
No individual raghead needs to do that. They can use massed fire at longer ranges than can US soldiers using M4s.

And, you know this exactly how?

Of course, we can't use massed fire at all, huh? Damned M240s and M249s can't do that, right? MkIXs must suck at it... M2s fail, I guess.

Try guessing on something where you actually have a semblence of a clue. Hint: this ain't one of those topics.
Using 5.56 NATO out of 14" barrels in massed fire isn't going to be as effective at long ranges as 7.62X39 from AK-47s. You cannot argue with physics.

And, again, your experience is exactly what on this matter?

Simply put, you're speculating with absolutely zero first-hand knowledge, and looking like an idiot doing so.

Hint: it ain't just M4s. Add in the 249s, 240s, M2s, MkIXs...

Second hint: if you don't know wtf you're talking about, stop talking.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 6.8 SPC is the answer to the problem , barrel and bolt change and you are ready to go or just issue our troops the AK-47.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hint: it ain't just M4s. Add in the 249s, 240s, M2s, MkIXs..
I believe the topic was a comparison of the AK-47 (7.62x39) vs the M4 (5.56 NATO) regarding long range terminal effectiveness.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bea175
The 6.8 SPC is the answer to the problem , barrel and bolt change and you are ready to go or just issue our troops the AK-47.
Agreed on both counts.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hint: it ain't just M4s. Add in the 249s, 240s, M2s, MkIXs..
I believe the topic was a comparison of the AK-47 (7.62x39) vs the M4 (5.56 NATO) regarding long range terminal effectiveness.

Um, no. You're the one that brought up the "massed fire" line of thinking, when you've not a fuggin' clue.

And, it shows.

Our troops are handcuffed by DSMFer ROEs because some folks back here in the states can't decide whether they want to actually win a war, or whether they want to whine about whether we ought to be there or not. Too late for that schit; the fight's on.

As for "massed fire", you're completely clueless if you think it's M4s vs. AKs for "massed fire". We've got M4s, M16A2s, M249s, M240s, MkIXs, M2s... vs. AKs, RPKs, RPGs, SKSs, and just about anything else they can find.

Our guys could win the damned battles with Marlin 39s, if the ROEs didn't suck dog-ass. As it is, you could give them all M60s, and they'd still be taking it on the chin.

The M4 wasn't designed or anticipated for this kind of conflict, and yes, the .223 leaves a goodly bit to be desired as for a battle round, but the ROEs are the problem more than the round or the platform, and any bullschit excuse of "massed fire" being a root problem is simply talking out your ass; you're completely without any grounding or basis in this topic, and so off-base it's borderline ridiculous.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let's stop screwing around re-issue brand new M-1 Garands to the infantry and be done with it. I bet with modern technology it be an even better rifle in a second generation rifle.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.