Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I fly fish on a small lake with bass up to 3 lbs common and lots of bream, no stick ups, nothing to fray line except the fish themselves. Can I use plain old monofilament for leader material? 5-6' or so?

All American

All the time
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes, you can use it for a tippet, but I think a stiffer leader butt is the way to go. I like about an 8' leader with 4' of stiff butt and the rest as a tippet. I fish a lot of bass my self, use this with good effect. Maybe the butt should be 15# or so going to your flyline. If the leader-to-line connection is too fine, it can damage the line by cutting into it. A two-step leader/tippet is fine on large weighted streamers or poppers as they're heavy enough to turn over properly. Don't need to taper it a lot like a dry fly trout leader.

I use plain mono for trout leaders, just taper them down a lot more so they don't hurl the dry fly with a lot of velocity. The only reason I've found to buy tippet material is because it comes in convenient spools.

Last edited by Gene L; 05/26/10.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent! So, the 14lb I have can be used for the butt directly to fly line, then 6-8lb can be used for tippet? Overall roughly 8'?

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think so. You can cast it and see if it works. It works for me.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll sure try it....

All American

All the time
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A leader butt should be very stiff mono. People often use 50lb but that is a pain to tie knots in. I use about 30lb maxima usually. Use a nail knot to tie the leader butt to the tip of the fly line. The leader butt should be about 1-1.5 feet long. Then I use perfection loops to create loop to loop connections between each of my steps in the tapered leader. Google perfection loop if you are unfamiliar, there are a lot of visuals on google for tying them. After the leader butt I loop on about 2 feet of 10-15 pound, then about 2 feet of about 8 pound. I use loop to loop connections for each step down so it is easy to replace just the tippet if the tippet breaks. Loop to loop is much easier than cutting and re-tying a blood knot in my opinion.

That is my set up when I am using big flies. For dries and spooky trout situations, I use furled leaders, which turn small flies over much better.
I hope that made sense, and if it didn't, feel free to ask more questions.

Riley

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It does make sense...I don't use large flies or streamers though. If using small dry flies for bream (and bass by the way!) will the heavier line set up reduce castability?

When I bought this set up I stocked up on tapered leaders, I have several left.....but, I have miles of mono left over from my bass/offshore fishing days. Service spools of 30 and 50# test.

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just take an old leader, cut it back and add tippet. You will want the heavier butt section to help turn over your flies. Add tippet as needed. You don't need a long leader for what you are doing either. Try turning a deer hair bass bug over with a 15' leader.....

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you all! I didn't think a long leader was necessary on this lake, visibility is 2' or so.

So, maybe even 30# for the leader, and 8# for tippet? I've been using a 6' leader with great success.

That's 6' overall length, leader + tippet.

Last edited by Stan V; 05/27/10.

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The only problem with a 6' leader is when you change flies, you lose maybe six inches, and after a couple of fly changes you've got a 5' leader. Nothing wrong with a 6' leader if you're getting results, but I like a longer one for convenience.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those of you that are still using a nail knot for attaching a leader to the flyline you're missing out. The mono braided loop to loop connecters are the ONLY thing I've used since finding out about them years ago. It's the strongest slickest best system there is. Bar none. The connection will last an entire season and will not fail. It's also what I use for flyline to backing connections and custom made short sections of sink tip.

Cortland sells the kits as do others. Don't use the heat shrink tubing as a connecter and instead wrap it with fly tying thread (same method as rod wrapping) and seal it with some thiined out shoe goo.

Instead of buying the kits some fly shops carry the braided mono that you can buy in bulk. 3 or 4 feet of it will make enough connectors to last for years. To put the loop in the braid is similar to the method used in rod wrapping for tucking the thread under the finihed wraps. A a wire bobbin threader or a piece of small dia mono works good. All you do is pull a short 1" section back into the braid to form a loop. A small dab of superglue will lock it in place. I only use a 2" or so section of braid on the flyline. Even using a 20# leader for Kings the leader would break before the connection.

Riley,

Mountain View Sports carried the bulk stuff when I lived in Anchorage.

Here's a link that describes it.

http://www.docsflies.com/2q05.htm

I flat out guarantee if you try it you'll never go back to any other method for connecting a leader to the fly line.

FWIW, I like 25# Maxima for the butt section of a leader on a 7 weight flyline. It depends of what weight flyline you have as to what's the appropriate # test. A uni-knot is my choice to join two different diameter mono leaders.

Tight lines to ya,

fish head

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Again, excellent advice....I'm new to fly fishing!

I have a 6wt, wt forward line. I do like the idea of loop to loop, maybe 5' of heavy mono with a 2-3' tippet. That would be easy enough to replace a nicked tippet without continually shortening the butt leader. I do change flies often, so my tippets disappear somewhat quickly....

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We use lots of different combos for different situations... Welding loops in the end of the fly line is a neat option and works well for a number of applications...

I run my leader butt longer than Riley likes, but that is just a taste thing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is all very helpful...I'll let y'all know this evening how things go. Should find time to kill an hour or 2 later.

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
We use lots of different combos for different situations... Welding loops in the end of the fly line is a neat option and works well for a number of applications...

I run my leader butt longer than Riley likes, but that is just a taste thing.

Art,

Just curious.

Have you found an application where you didn't like a a braided mono loop at the end of a flyline?

I haven't, that's why I'm asking.

fish head

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I ain't Art, but I don't like the way the flex. I shave the butt with a razor blade, draw the line up through the end of the line with a needle and tie a needle-nail knot, OR Crazy Glue the butt inside the flyline and use a perfection loop. No flex in the system.

I've never used the braided mono loops. Don't care for them.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gene L
I ain't Art, but I don't like the way the flex. I shave the butt with a razor blade, draw the line up through the end of the line with a needle and tie a needle-nail knot, OR Crazy Glue the butt inside the flyline and use a perfection loop. No flex in the system.

I've used the needle-nail knot method in the past and quit using it. It works well, but the one problem is that eventually the flyline breaks down and it gets the hinge effect which doesn't allow the leader to turn over smoothly. The mono braid loop is far better with this issue. There's a very smooth transition with the wrapped - gooped - loop. It doesn't break down. The only hinge is the loop to loop connection and that isn't a problem with a looped heavy leader butt section. This method casts very well for a very long time. That's the one aspect of it that I like the best. I also like using a fluorescent orange thread on a floating line that doubles as a strike indicator.

fish head

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gene L

I do this with my butt sections on all my fresh water fly rods. Sew the butt section into the fly line, rough the line up slightly with sand paper, put a drop of zap-a-gap in the leader and pull back thru the fly line...no knot! I use either a Blood knot or a Slim Beauty knot for leader to butt section connection. I have not warmed up to loop to loop, i feel like it just makes an odd hitch in the line, a place for the casting loop to collapse. I see the value of the loop for those that don't like to tie knots, dont know which knot to tie when or who's eyes are giving out. The loop does serve a pupose, I just don't like them.

For SW....I do use the loop connection to connect backing and fly line. One loop connection attached with nail knots and UV to fly line, then put a double looped bimini twist in the backing and loop to loop connect two. a very smooth strong connection

To the OP....for bassing, take an old leader cut it back to 4ft and tie on an additional 3ft of 8 to #12lb tippet, you should be good to go for bass bugs.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add this too. When I lived in Alaska the majority of my flyfishing was for Salmon and Steelhead and ususlly sink tips with a small split shot added as a bottom indicator. It was tough on flyline to leader connections with the added weight. This was the system that worked best for me. I also like it for smaller stuff, floating lines and small dry flies too.

A guy I worked with who was an absolute flyfishing only nut was the one who showed me this many years ago. He used this on his heavy stuff for flyfishing for Halibut with leadcore sink tips and BIG flies. He caught a 60# Halibut on a company charter we were on with his 12 or 13 weight saltwater flyrod. It was a hoot to see him do it.

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't want to sound like I'm arguing the point and I too used to like the smooth transistion of nails knots etc.

"I have not warmed up to loop to loop, i feel like it just makes an odd hitch in the line, a place for the casting loop to collapse."

I gotta say that, for me, this isn't the case with loop to loop connections. I tie my loops very short (about 3/8") and it makes for a smooth connection that turns over perfectly. When you make an imperfect cast the leader doesn't see to hang up on the connection as much as with a nail knot either. It flows over the wrapped end of the flyline smoothly.

Everybody has their own opinion and it's not like any one method is wrong. Just having a good discusion with fellow fisherman.

I haven't tried the no knot super glue method yet.

fish head

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.