Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I thought I'd ask what you guys think is the best double lever scope mount. I want to put a 6x-36mm scope on a Model 70, its got a front sight ramp and mounting space for a Lyman 57 on the receiver. I was interested in trying a double lever mount so I could switch off to irons. The 57 slide could be removed and carried in the trap butt plate. I have used the Conetrol mounts in the past and like the clean look, but thought I might do something a little different this time. I like small scopes mounted as low as possible.

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are several good detachable mounts available today, but in my experience it's hard to beat Talleys.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You will have to use a fairly high front sight to get that 57 to clear any scope base of which I'm aware. Talleys or Leupold QRW's. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RgrNo1Shtr,

Today is your lucky day. The first responder to your inquiry is arguably the most experienced and knowledgable hunting/gun enthusiast here, so you got excellent advice immediately.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Would the Talley bases be low enough to permit use of the receiver sight when the scope is removed? The answer to that question will determine whether I spring for the insane expense of sending the gun to Griffin and Howe to have one of their QD double lever side mounts installed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As greydog suggested, that will depend on the height of the front sight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like the Leupold QR.I do not like the Warnes as the crossbar always falls out when to take them off.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You might take a look at the EAW swing mount. They have been dependable mounts for a long time in Europe. There is a peep sight that goes on the rear base when the scope is removed that is a handy option. NECG is a good place to check them out in this country.

Regards

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the Talleys but haven't tried any others. Might take a look at the Brockman or Talley peep sight that will fit Talley bases. It won't have the classic look but then you won't need to inlet the stock as for the 57 sight.

In my opinion if you mount high enough to go over the sight you are making it so that neither will be optimal for the comb height.

You could also have a fold down V sight on the barrel.

Last edited by Tejano; 05/28/10.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I was to start out all over again, I'd buy Talley's QD rings and bases. But, I had some of Leupolds QD rings and mounts on rifles, and continued with them when I wanted a QD set up for a new rifle. The Leupolds are well made, and I do like them. I just think the Talleys are better.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
I do not like the Warnes as the crossbar always falls out when to take them off.

If the "crossbar" falls out of your Warnes, something is wrong. If they are assembled correctly, they can't fall out. Maybe you should give Warne a call.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by Huntz
I do not like the Warnes as the crossbar always falls out when to take them off.

If the "crossbar" falls out of your Warnes, something is wrong. If they are assembled correctly, they can't fall out. Maybe you should give Warne a call.

Thanks,Will do.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
You will have to use a fairly high front sight to get that 57 to clear any scope base of which I'm aware. Talleys or Leupold QRW's. GD

That's my experience having used both including the later on two scopes I switched on and off a .340. After 18 years--just last month--the rear lever cracked off as I turned it to remove the scope most frequently used. These mounts have been on many hunts in all kinds of weather.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold all the way. Have them on two rifles. Never failed in many trips over the years.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for all the comments guys. First off, regarding the G&H Mount, I would consider that, but don't want to drill and tap for a side mount. The rifle is a custom M-70 actioned 270 built by Al Biesen. It wasn't ordered by me, but it could have been because it fits so well. The front site does look rather high. The rear sight mounting holes are clear so there probably was a sight there at some time. It looks like a Lyman would fit the opening? Perhaps I'll play around with it to see what works best. I do like the looks of the Talley Vertical rings mount, was hoping JB would chime in, I generally like his comments and advice. However experience of others is also worth listening to. Thanks all.

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (44mc, 338rcm, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.