Print Thread
Hop To
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Well,I got my SIL a Marlin 1895G. It's what my daughter said he talked most about wanting. He doesn't know I've got it.

Anyways,I'm not sure if he'll want to scope it or not but I may as well get some opinions and be ready. Does the scope need to be mounted as low as possible due to the stock configuration? I've got an El Paso Weaver K2.5 60-C that was redone by WSRS to use. So what mount/ring set up are y'all using?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No help on the scope here as I went with a set of Brockmann ghost ring sights. I am 52 and wear glasses. I love the sights. Someday I may be forced to use a scope and when I do I will use Talley mounts and a low power Leupold variable. Ring height is kind of individual to the shooter IMHO.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I APPRECIATE the reply.

I've been keeping the idea of open sights in the back of my mind. My SIL's in his mid 40's and is an ol'country boy so open sights may be what he goes with. The factory ones are ok but I've read good reports on Brockmann sights. We'll see.

As far a scope/scope mounts go,I read a scope base review where the Marlin 1895G owner said his experience has been that unless your setup is as low as possible it's hard to get a good sight pic in combination with a good cheek weld. I've got plenty of rings and scopes to use so I'd only need a base to find out for sure. AGAIN,we'll see.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes, use as low as possible rings/mounts combination as the gun will allow. The stock is set up for iron sight usage, so if you use a scope/rings/bases combination that's too high your cheek won't be on the stock. If you do scope it you'll also want to get a hammer extension because it's tough to get to the hammer with a scope on, especially with gloves on.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
On my guide gun (sold it to a friend's kid this winter) I used a Leupold mount and std rings most of the time. Seemed a little heavy but certainly rock solid!

A Warne base and Burris Zee rings seem like a good lighter weight option though I've only used that on 1894s, not 1895s.

For optics on my .45-70 ... well, I'm not much one to suffer silently, if I don't like something I change it. I twice had Leupold 1.5-5Xs on it which seemed ideal on paper but irritated me in the field and used both a 3-9X Vari X II and a 2.5-8X Vari X III at one time or another. Finally for the last year before I sold it, it had a 1.75-6X VX III on it which was, IMHO, the best of the various setups I tried.

Most of the serious load work I did with that gun was while I had the 2.5-8X on it. I got it down to under .75" center to center for 3 shots at 100 yards with 52 grains of H4895 under a 400 grain Speer flat point. That ain't too bad for a lever action. smile It shot clean through a deer if you can imagine that. smile My gun never responded well to higher velocities than that, didn't do very well with Hornady 350s either flat point or round nose, wasn't consistent with 300 grain hollowpoints, but it sure rocked with the 400 grain Speer.

One other thing I did ... I put a Wild West leverguns trigger in it which gave me a better trigger pull than any factory bolt action I've seen in a long time, in fact, better than some professional trigger jobs on bolt actions I've had done. Well worth the money IMHO.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 06/04/10.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
my choice would be weaver style base and Warne QD rings high enough to clear hammer and thumb. Easy off and on for the scope .

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
THANKS for the input,guys.
I gave him the rifle today and it seems he's leaning towards some aftermarket open sights.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My combo is:

weaver 1 piece base
Warne quick detach rings
3-12x44 Burris Signature w/posi-lok

The more I build up a tolerance to recoil, the more I need to get my fix.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
go with the XS package, ghost rings and the scout scope mount. a leupy 2.5x scout scope is all you need for <250yrd hunting. doubt you'll be making shots farther then that with a 1895G....

The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Amphibious - That's the set-up that I'm using on my 45/70 and it works great!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't like the scout scope setup. The one I handled had the rifle's balance point moved forward in a way that was awkward, at least for me.

One real plus for the scout scope, if it works for you, is that sure makes it easy to get your thumb to the hammer, no issues with hammer extensions, small space, etc. I didn't find it a problem w/ a regular scope but someone else might.

I reckon whatever you choose, if you can find someone else that's already tried it who'll let you handle their rifle, you'll have a better chance of seeing what does, and doesn't, work for you cheaper than having to buy and try all the options yourself.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I prefer the QD Talley rings and bases and I would get one og those side extensions for the Marlin hammer is it were me, then you can mount the scope very low and not have a problem cocking the rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 75 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.