-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have just returned from my first Safari with the Huntley Ferreira family at their home at the Berlin Farm in Alldays, Limpopo Province, RSA. My PH was Hendrik Ferreira, and all 9 days were spent chasing the game and fish of the area under a beautiful African sun. The unseasonable wet beginning to winter left the bush renewed with leaves and blooms that are not seen this time of year, as this is their winter season. Visibility limited by the thick bush left us, as hunters, severely handicapped, and hunting was very difficult. The first two and a half days did not give me a single opportunity for a shot at any of the four target species.

Hunting hard meant a lot to me, and spending time with Hendrik in the bush was very educational. The title �PH� means a lot more to me now that I have spent time with Hendrik.

I hunted 9 days, and was glad to have all of them. In the end, I was ultimately successful in taking these fine animals. For the curious, the Kudu is 54�, Impala is 24�, and the Gemsbok is 34�. The face of the Impala is very scarred, as this ram was a real fighter, and very vocal.

I was treated with absolute kindness and hospitality by the Ferreira�s, and would highly recommend them to anyone travelling to South Africa.

Tragically, as I was flying home somewhere over the Atlantic, Hendrik was taken from this life in a tragic car accident. I have such bittersweet memories now, when viewing these images. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Matt Ulberg aka shortside
Lolo, MT
Warthog
[Linked Image]
Kudu
[Linked Image]
Impala
[Linked Image]
Gemsbok
[Linked Image]

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
very nice trophies!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Looking Critters.

Very sorry to hear about your friend.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Great stuff shortside!
Losing your freind/PH should give you some validation for this kind of trip.Enjoy these things while you can, you never know when it will end...
Sorry for your loss....you never forget your first PH..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Congratulations on a successful hunt. I hope your positive hunt memories help fill that void caused by his loss. Welcome home safely. Wade

Last edited by ursus148; 06/02/10.

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
IC B2

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great Kudu...sounds like a very good hunt. Ingwe is right on, take care of your relationships because really thats all we have.....

rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on a wonderful safari and great trophies.

Sorry to hear about Hendrik's passing. After 9 days with a good PH they are like a hunting buddy so the loss on your way home definitely would make all the vivid memories bitter sweet. I just got back last Saturday and I don't even want to think about how I would have felt under those circumstances.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So sorry about your friend. Your pics are great!

maddog

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It looks like Hendrik's last "hurrah" was a fantastic one as he clearly took you on an excellent safari. I am very sorry to hear about his passing and can't imagine how tough that would be for not only for his family but you after sharing such a wonderful experiene with him. Keep the memories alive and take time to reflect on just how speial of a person he was for you. I can't think of a finer way for you to honor his memory than for you to share his tale with everyone you meet.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great photos of a fine hunt! That impala was a warrior!

Rough ending with the loss of your PH...

Congrats on the fine hunt, with bittersweet memories.

Regards, Guy

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Glad you had a good time;

But sorry for the loss at the same time.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, the PH.

That's a real "bastard"..........condolences to his family, Matt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, nice trophies.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.