Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LeRoy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For Mr. Howell, hope it does the hunt justice!
For the participants, Thank You for being there!

'Twas a beautiful late May evening on the 700 Springs Ranch.
All was quiet and peaceful, until, some Yankee cop from St. Louis quipped, �where the hell did the Shetlands come from�. 'Course our esteemed (using the term loosely of course), police officer was relieving himself from the step of a guides truck.

Am a little ahead of myself, so will give a bit of a preface.

1st Annual (I hope) Spring Texas Hog Hunt. To get a good feel for this, you must at least skim the Hog Hunt thread.

Yours truly arrived at the Camp on Friday afternoon to, NO GUNS, KNIFE ONLY HUNT, from our most excellent guide, Kirby, and my soon to be friend Gordon. OOPS, am I at the right place? Oh well, surely they jest??? NOT!

After a time for meet and greet, some hunted, some relaxed, others got into the Canadian Beer, eh Pat?!
When we returned form our respective spots, the plot was revealed.

Bubba and his dogs arrived, and volunteers were, umm, rounded up. If I remember correctly, there were about a dozen or so of us, including Bubba and his crew.

The plan was to follow Bubba and dogs on the trails in the trucks. The tracker dogs would crisscross the trails following hog scents. The four dogs were fun to watch do their job. When out of the headlights, you would see the LED lights from their collars-very nice.
When a hog was scented, all lights went out-FULL STOP! QUIET was the word for the moment. When the trackers had a pig cornered, you can tell from the noise, the BIG dogs were loosed. Pit Bull crosses were this nights treat. I figured 80? pounds apiece for the two, Page and Rambo. Hence the Shetland reference-course our oh so eloquent speaker is but 5'4? wink

Without a flashlight? Grab onto someones belt loops that had one! Run like hell through a maze of Lord knows what-knee high grass, fallen trees and limbs, those with out flashlights, heh heh.
Dogs are yelping, pig's-a-squeelin, people hollerin! It was WONDERFULLY CHAOTIC!

As I arrive, one handler is pulling the hundred and a quarter or so pound hog out of a crevice in the wall of rock and flora. Brave or crazy-still not sure.
I, and others get as close as possible, others are still coming. Flashlights shine, and we find the animals, and Bubba in a CAVE! This cave, is probably six or eight feet deep, maybe four feet high, and, in my view 20 feet long. Large pecan and or oak? tree/s (it is dark!), are close to the opening. This makes it more exciting for the viewers-jockeying for position.
Page and Rambo attempt to do their job, and grab what they can of this hog to restrain it. Page, the older of the two goes in for the head. Being such a tight space, she must come in with her head at an angle that gave our/her nemesis it's chance. The hog used it's inch and a half cutters to inflict a nasty cut/stab into Pages chin. Page got hold of the head, and I'm still not sure how, bounced that poor dog off the ceiling of that cave! She backed off a bit and Rambo moved in. He grabbed an ear and jowls on the hog, and Page got the leg. Oh how I wished I had a picture of Rambo at that moment in time! The determination, hate and power that he showed was immeasurable, unbelievable. I just cannot find the words, nor do I think I could do that DAWG justice in describing him.

This all happened faster than a snake bite!

I feel a hand on my shoulder, Mrs. Okie is there, Okie on Terry's other side, and a mess of other folk scattered about.
About this time Bubba is screamin, and I mean screamin for someone to �STICK THIS DAMN HOG!�
Not sure if good old Canadian indecision or self preservation held me up, but I flinched and our hero, rockchucker moved in for the kill.
As an aside, had Mrs. Okie taken that knife, (and believe me, we tried) it would have been like a power ginsu! Her hand was shaking like she was holding onto a chainsaw-but then again-could it have been me shakin?!

Bobby, being slight of stature, (among other things-according to Dale and Bart), and long on GUNG-HO, grabbed that big ole sticker, and was told �git him behind the ribs-twist and pull out�, but with a little more emphasis.
As Bobby pulled the more than foot long knife from the hog, he was told in no uncertain terms to �HIT 'EM AGIN�!
But as Bobby thrust again, on of the dogs jumped in the way, and rockchucker near had himself another �trophy�.
�NOT THE DAWG! NOT THE DAWG!�
Bobby pulled up, dawg was safe-or so we thought.
The hog bled out faster than any pig or steer I ever throat cut, or saw cut, in almost 40 years of doin that job.

rockchucker looks at the blade, hands it back to Bubba, and quips.�like hot knife through butter�, best we could cypher anyway. The deed is done. Back slaps, handshakes, insults and kudos are given and taken.
A job well done, or a job, well, done-depending on your point of view.

Upon returning to the trucks, yours truly got to umm, guide-yeah, we'll go with that,
guide Rambo back to the trucks, we found some injuries. Seems that two of the chase dogs got caught up in the crevice with the hog and got cut.
One was cut on the chest, ripping the hide back in the shape of a large Y. She needed nothing other than some antibiotics and TLC.
The other, wished I could remember the names, was not so lucky. She needed ten staples, provided by Bubba, on the spot, antibiotics, and lots of TLC, which of course, she got.

I tried, thanks to one of my new found friends, Bob Jr., as he gave up his �first jab� to me, to follow up Bobby's fantastic voyage the next night. But the stars did not align for me. But I can GAREN-DAMN-TEE I will return!

I personally have never felt an adrenaline rush as that! Was immense, terrific and life altering. To wit, I was in the Texline, TX/Clayton, NM tornado (within six hundred yards), and the rush was nowhere near that of the evening of May 23rd 2010.

I would like to thank all of the great folks who attended this most entertaining, educational, fun long weekend I have ever had.
I may have had a long trip, about 4500 miles round trip, alone, but it was worth it, and would do it in a Texas heartbeat!

Later.....

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LeRoy
It was a pleasure to share your company. I really enjoyed the trip, and even more so the company. I will certainly be there again.
You think Bobby was 5'4" geez I was guessing a little smaller grin
Tom

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
screw both you all smile

5'11 and 1/2 of a hog killing machine

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never thought of a person from St. Louis as a Yankee.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
them boys from southeast texas do

FJB
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rockchucker
screw both you all smile

5'11 and 1/2 of a hog killing machine

You need some more Shiner Bock to add some a$$ to that 5'11 1/2" of hog killin' machine.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
them boys from southeast texas do

Anyone who isnt from Texas is a Yankee to a Texan.

Originally Posted By: '61'10
When I first saw the news I thought it said Obama.. Had to look three times before I realized it said Osama..

Either way I still got excited!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When rockchucker comes to Wyoming we will have to put rocks in his pockets to keep him from blowing away! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
im putting on weight, im like 166 lbs

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
im putting on weight, im like 166 lbs

Is that with your duty gear...? grin

I actually was about that size in sixth grade or so... ;D

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"it aint the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

smile

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed friend. Just funin' you some.
After all you considered putting a dirty sock in my mouth, and your buddy shot my nutria after my pants fell off.
grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"it aint the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

smile

Yeah Yeah Yeah ............. grin

Last edited by elkhunter76; 06/05/10.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Agreed friend. Just funin' you some.
After all you considered putting a dirty sock in my mouth, and your buddy shot my nutria after my pants fell off.
grin

man that didnt sound right a sock in the mouth and your pants falling off.

surprise jasonb aint commented on this thread yet.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know that you were the only one to shoot the Dreamcicle... Your shoulder still sore?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
350 Rem Mags aren't bad. Had one in a B&C stock. Moved up to a 338 Win Mag. That was one sweet looking rifle tho Bart!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
schit that dawg was like a pussy cat

when your time passes with it call me smile

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'da shot it but you're a cursed Leftarian.

Bobby you are right that sounded all wrong there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when your time passes with it call me smile

I'll keep that in mind...
I shoulda brought my Mod70 LH 300WinMag...
That thing shoots like a mo-foe... Very sweet factory rifle...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
just work the bugs out of it and develope it's loads and then make about a hundred for me. would you do that for me bud?

FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1100mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 18,837 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,972
Posts18,539,905
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.