Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is this going to affect your efforts?

In a recent ruling regarding the "transfer" of firearms, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATFE) has reversed policies that have been in place for more than 40 years.

In the ruling, BATFE declared that a temporary shipment of a firearm by a federal firearms licensee to a non-employee for business reasons (such as a manufacturer's shipment to a gun writer or engineering consultant for a technical evaluation), will now be considered a "transfer" and require completion of a Form 4473 and background check.

This reverses a ruling issued in 1969, right after the passage of the Gun Control Act, although BATFE provided no explanation of the need for the change. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, BATFE hasn't been able to name a single case in which a gun temporarily shipped under the old rule has been used in crime.

The short-term impact may be limited, because many major manufacturers already require firearms sent to non-employees to go through the transfer process. But manufacturers who didn't follow that practice will now have to ship guns to licensed dealers to complete these "transfers."

Furthermore, the ruling only applies to temporary shipments by federal firearms licensees to carry out those licensees' business operations. Given that limitation, the new ruling won't affect private individuals who ship guns to themselves when traveling to shoot or hunt, or who ship firearms to a manufacturer or gunsmith for repair or customization.

However, this new ruling may have broader implications for future issues. For example, some have suggested that although the ruling doesn't relate directly to rental of guns for use on commercial shooting ranges, its reasoning might require rentals to be treated as "transfers" subject to recordkeeping and background check requirements.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another burdensome regulation that simply increases the cost to do business.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting. The original 1969 rule was known as the "Strung Amendment" amng some people, because my old friend Norm Strung was the guy who pushed it through, so that a bunch of legitmate "testers of firearms" could obtain test rifles, shotguns, and handguns without jumping through the then-new hoops created by the gun-control act of 1968.

I doubt this new ruling will change much, because the Strung Amendment was roundly ignored by manufacturers, many of whom still demanded FFL transfers. This is the reason I got my own FFL in the 1980's and still have it. It is a lot more convenient to have manufacturers to send firearms directly to my than to try to explain the Strung Amendment--and have the manufacturers believe it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just another for profit ruling by our appointed officials. Sort of like voting to increase your own salary in public office. Anyone else ready to make a change? Will it really help?

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,011 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.