Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Figured I'd post here, as the Hunters Campfire moves too fast..

I watched it last night. The 22 y/o kid did a good job reading the wind in the 200/400/600 yd shoot off. It'd be cool if they stretched it out a little, but still some pretty good shooting by the kid.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I watched it on Hulu yesterday. The boy was quick on those targets. Such as it was, I found the whole thing to be just plain stupid. The History Channel use to have great stuff on it, now its piss poor programing. It was way better when Roger Mudd was there.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
They are trying to bring too much drama into the show to appeal to the housewives market..

But, it's better than watching Oprah.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What did you find so objectionable about Top Shot?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I watched about ten minutes of it. It seems to be nothing more than another "Survivor" sort of eat-each-other-alive show, but with guns.

Drivel.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Without the politics, results is all that counts on TOP Shot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Haven't seen much quality in shooting yet on the show....

Time wise on the targets, that was all edited filming, no telling how long or not that part took... I know one thing though, just in case I'd have had shots out of that gun awful quick as long as the spotter understood and gave feedback, so we can work off the shot calls.....

Does anyone think that Kelly's first shot at 600 was screwed up really bad since he yanked his head up off the stock so dang fast trying to see if the target would light up?

Hard to second guess some of that, and since the flags were about useless in design, and we dont' know the dimensions of the targets its hard to know. I think Kelly said 4 moa of wind at 600 and then added 2 more IIRC... thats 6moa of wind. The wind didn't seem 6moa strong at all to me... more like 3moa strong but in fairness they didn't give you much time to see that,

Of course the part about waiting on teh 200 yard target to clear... I mean if you were on target, I dont' need to see the target to shoot.... especially prone with a bipod... and as slow as that smoke went across there, unless they slowed that part of the film down.... I just dont 'see that much wind in MOA at 600...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made it through the first minute or so when they were introducing everyone, than woke up a few minutes after the show was over and turned the TV off. Guess I was either really tired or bored, or maybe both?

Life is just one damned thing after another
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have already had a guy that know tell me that he watched the show.... He knows that I shoot a lot at long range and have killed a few animals at long range he always gives me the 3rd degree about it.....(you know one of those guys) Well today he tells me "If the best shooters in the world cannot hit the target at 400 and 600 yards there is not way you can do it."

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Missed it - but maybe I didn't miss much.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I have already had a guy that know tell me that he watched the show.... He knows that I shoot a lot at long range and have killed a few animals at long range he always gives me the 3rd degree about it.....(you know one of those guys) Well today he tells me "If the best shooters in the world cannot hit the target at 400 and 600 yards there is not way you can do it."

What makes him think that he was watching the best shooters in the world? I certainly did not get that from the show.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know they are not as is evident by their performance, but he probably saw the same commercial that I did saying that the history channel searched the nation and found the best of the best for the competition..... Would lead one to believe that they actually are the best of the best on the show.

I have no doubt that there are some excellent marksman on that show but even the most impressive guy on there did things that were in terrible shooting form (jerking his head out to see the target) Nobody knew how to spot and one of them could not even get the spotting scope on target to see to spot. That and assuming that the rifles in the team competition were sighted in properly which they never said how in the hell do you miss with a rest at 50 and 100 yards.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not a very good search if they think these guys are the best IMHO
To me it seemed as if they were shooting out of their realm of experties. Next week they shoot handguns that should be interesting. I wonder how bad some of them will shoot?

Last edited by jwp475; 06/08/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regarding the "best of the best", I don't really trust networks to do much research in any of the shooting/military representations. I saw a show about the SEAL/S on one of the Discovery networks, and they had to have searched LONG and hard to find the DOOF-BALL that they chose to represent all of the SEAL/S.

Also let's not forget that the powers that be at Discovery also sired TLC and Animal Planet, so I don't see many friendlies there. The History Channel is no better with A&E and Lifetime. Lots of anti propaganda no matter what.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The History Channel lost a lot of credibility when they started doing show after show on Bigfoot and UFOs.

Pawn Stars is good, and American Pickers ain't bad. But this Top Shot reeks.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd say that they could(and do) script pawn stars more than Top Shot.

Either way, my kids liked it. Better than Hannah Montana. Anything that will get/keep them interested in stuff like that is ok in my book

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by heavywalker

What makes him think that he was watching the best shooters in the world? I certainly did not get that from the show.

How big do you figure the exploding target was at 600yds? Looked to me to be about the size of a paper plate.

I'd LOVE to line up the 'fire members and let them take shots at a paper plate in windy conditions. Some could hit it 2 shots, but I'm guess most of them couldn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just saw it for the first time, tonight. Guy couldn't light a match, but still made some good shots. The guy with the bullwhip was pretty cool, but a little into himself.

Must admit, the only reason that I kept watching was to give a report... totally forgettable show!

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST
Just saw it for the first time, tonight. Guy couldn't light a match, but still made some good shots. The guy with the bullwhip was pretty cool, but a little into himself.

Must admit, the only reason that I kept watching was to give a report... totally forgettable show!

The show with the bullwhip and such was on before Top shot, that was called Expert Shots or something of the sorts.

I caught about 1/2 the first show and saw Top Shots. Can't say I was impressed with their abilities

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to watch the History Channel non-stop. Especially back in the Roger Mudd days when you could actually learn something, but like anything else it has morphed into cheesy shows that don't amount to much. Catering to the sponsors, instead of those that want to learn about history. Lastnight they ran the Expert shots or something and halfway through it I picked up my book and turned it off. Like a lot of things, I wish they could get back to the basics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.