-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just curious if anyone has experience with the Ruger lcp. My wife's uncle showed me his last night. It's looks pretty sweet and it seems like the perfect size for concealed carry. He bought a wallet holster for the thing. It fits in his pants pocket and you can't tell he's packing. He even bought the laser sight for it so he can pull the gun and know right where it's pointed. I'm thinking about getting a couple for the wife and I. What do you guys think?

Deal with it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eh, 380 auto wouldn't be my go to carry piece. That said, if it's that, or nothing else, that is better.....barely.

You should ask to shoot it though. With a carry guy, you want to be very familiar with it, which means lots of range time with it. The way it fits your hand, may not be very comfortable to shoot, which would translate in less range time.

Just food for thought grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I have one. Its her primary carry gun. Great little guns. Ours does not have the crimson trace set up but we may add it down the line. I like it alot.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not terribly familiar with handgun calibers. What would be wrong with the .380 Auto? Is it just too wimpy to be effective?

Deal with it.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In my opinion the .380 will be plenty when shootin a good defensive ammo. I sure wouldn't wanna be hit by one.
The LCP is a quality gun and will shoot reliably for you. I have the Micro Desert Eagle and I like the trigger pull better. Neither one is really fun to shoot. Alot of kick in a little package

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.380 gets a bum rap from back in the days when JHPs were less predictable. Back then most hollowpoints couldn't be relied on to open up at the lower velocities of the .380
Now, however thats pretty much a thing of the past. Just about all premium defesive ammo will have bullets better tailored to the velocities you will be getting.

As to recoil I don't think its any problem in our little feather weight LCP. I would say its certainly no more than in a full sized frame 9mm.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one with the crimsontrace laser on it, and it shoots great. I haven't had any malfunctions out of 200+ rounds. I use corbon 90 gr. HPs or Gold Dot 90 gr. Hps.

Last edited by jstall; 06/07/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to laugh at people saying don't carry or use the 380, they are the same guys you talk guns to and say where is YOUR gun, and they say oh its at home, well mine is in my pocket. the best gun is the one you have with you.

if you shoot the 100grain hardcast buffalo bore ammo which moves out of an LCP at over 1100 fps. that aint nothing to sneeze at. that is a potent loading and will do some serious damage, anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine is comfortable to shoot. Not bad at all. I don't have the crimson trace, and mine shoots way left with the open sight channel. I use Corbon DPX and I wouldn't be afraid to carry it and use it as my primary CCW if I had to. That being said....I've never carried it.

I've shot about 100 rounds through mine and haven't had any problems. Seems there was somebody here that had some problems after shooting hundreds of rounds. You might do a search for that.

I have a pocket holster for it by Mika, and I would highly recommend it despite the wait.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I like mine, carry it often, and it has never failed to function when I shoot it at targets (close targets). Recoil is not bad and I would reccomend it to you with no reservation.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
They had a recall on the trigger early on but, as far as I know, that issue has been resolved. Haven't seen any negative comments on the LCP in quite awhile and it is certainly a packable little bugger!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
One big downside to the 380's, at least right now in a lot of areas, is ammo availability. It does seem as though a lot of ammo is getting a bit easier to find, but it's still sketchy. Also, it's generally considerably more expensive than 9mm ammo, which often translates to less shooting, less familiarity with the gun. They are making a lot of smaller 9's now too, might be worth a look before you buy. I'm not pushing or degrading either caliber, whatever fits you and you're comfortable with will be your best choice. As others have said, I'd rather have a mouse gun in my belt, than a big bad boy sitting home on the bedstand.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've shot the one my brother has quite a bit. Very reliable. The front sight is very difficult to see, but it is designed for short range use.

I've found the .380 more effective than some. Shot one deer with it at about 20 yards out of a PPK. I guess you could call it a failure because I had to put a finisher in the deer when I walked up to it.

PS - It was legal where I did it.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well last summer the wife and I each had one, they Jammed a bunch on various ammo and using "self-defense" loads the trigger guard on mine would smack my finger hard, thus it was not pleasant to shoot 200 arounds through the little pistol. We traded them off down the road for something much more dependable.........Sig Sauer and Glocks!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strange, I have put nearly 1200 rounds through ours. About 500 of that in various defense loadsand have not had one single malfunction with the defense stuff. I had a couple of stovepipes shooting fmj, but they were from the same box of ammo. I think that was just an anomoly related to the ammo being shot maybe.

Weird how things like that work.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My wife and I both have LCP's and she insisted on the Raspberry colored one so that I wouldn't carry it. LOL. They both have shot everything we fed them with no problems. They are more than accurate enough and powerful enough at 10 yds to do what they are suppose to.

Face it, you are going to have trouble proving you were in a defensive situation if the range is over 10 yds.

I still like my Glock 39 in 45 GAP too, but it doesn't hide well in your hip pocket on a hot summer night.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put about 600 rounds thru mine. It's not a lot of fun to shoot, it's got a sharp recoil but I'm a recoil sissy grin

I drop it in my pocket for my evening stroll. I call it my puppy pistol 'cuz I will probably encounter a hostile dog than a hostile human. .380 ought to be big enough for snakes.

Last edited by shreck; 06/11/10.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,267
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.