Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Dober,

I hunted deer and hogs for two and half months with a rifle,and killed about a dozen hogs in the process.

That's just not enough,and I don't want or have time to hunt them enough to kill the numbers needed to keep them in check.

The way I am doing it is the way that our state biologists say best. Furthermore,it is illegal to transport the hogs once you catch them. You must kill them or release them,and nobody wants you to release them
next to their place.

It may seem cruel but it has to be done if you want to keep them from ruining your land.

I don't really understand seal hunting or ice fishing,pretty foreign concepts to me. I quess ya gotta be an eskimo to get it.

Maybe you don't get it because you're not part
of our culture.

Ya might be a redneck if.........

You kill hogs any way you can. grin

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The ideal way to control them is to introduce ???? Cholera to them... which is highly illegal but the only way to really eradicate them. Controlling them kinda dents the population some but not much.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc we had to do the same thing at our lease in Mississippi. We trapped 33 one year and shot another 25 or so. This was off of 500 acres...

It finally put a dent in them. As I'm sure you know, sows can have 3 litters of up to 8 in a year. Which means you will be running a hog farm if you don't do something.

Hi Dober,

They destroyed a pond levee at our camp, twice. Another fun thing is bush hogging high grass in food plots and falling off in an overgrown 4ft hole they wallowed out.

It's a thrill to grab the exhaust pipe on your way down the hood after hitting one of these. cry LOL.

Mark, I can't tell you how many times I have had deer around and these things show up and ruin it, especially bucks. They don't tolerate their presence and will leave the area when they show up.

They also compete with deer for native food sources and they can pack away some groceries. They can eat almost all the acorns before the can deer get to them.

It's more about control than elimination and they are damn hard to control. You have to hunt them hard and they wise up quick. What will start out as a cake walk gets harder and harder as they learn what you are up to.

The most effective way I have found is to do exactly what Doc did. That means a suprise attack, get a group of guys and hunt them real hard for a week. You can kill quite a few this way before they wise up and get nocturnal.

You don't want to be dealing with them during deer season, by then it's too late.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
and by you saying the deer leave the area, its not for that day or that incident, its for quite a frame of time... used to take about 2-3 weeks for deer to get back to "somewhat normal" after hogs had invaded and we shot em best we could.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rost,
We had an area named Sam's Oil Well on our hunting lease. We killed good bucks out of that place for years until the hogs took it over.

And it ended just like that.

You have to control them. When they overpopulate an area, they stress the available food sources year round and your deer herd will suffer for it. Weights begin to drop and does go back to having singles instead of twins. This is a worse case scenario, but it is almost guaranteed to happen if you don't exercise some form of conrol over their numbers.

It's not that you want to kill that many, you have too.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by ruraldoc
You kill hogs any way you can. grin

Doc:

Doesn't seem any different than me shooting squirrels off my bird feeder. The scale is different, that's all.

Is this farmland, you're talking about? Not quite sure I have the picture.

- Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would seem to me more like shooting birds in a cage than in a feeder.

I have no problemo with shooting the hogs in a fair chase way (so to speak) but to trap them in a round pen and then go from gun to gun and having them run all around trapped just doesn't set right with me.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
These guys would agree....

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not much difference than cattle at a slauter house

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not a sporting way to deal with any animal, but the meat goes to good causes (we gave it to the local community stew pot).

I guess it compares to shooting a hundred prairie dogs at one sitting. At least the meat is not wasted with the hogs.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JM-the pd's are out in the fields and normally a fair ways off with the ability to get away. Wild hogs trapped and in a round pen totally different...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's your Happy Meal kids

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
JM-the pd's are out in the fields and normally a fair ways off with the ability to get away. Wild hogs trapped and in a round pen totally different...

Dober

That is the point one does not want them getting away. It's about eradicating them not fair chase

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dober

Mark,

I understand how you feel. I guess if you owned property and spent thousands of dollars to plant it in young trees only to see them destroyed, or if you had to continually spend considerable sums of money for repairs to keep from losing valuable game fish because your pond levees were being damaged, or if you had to spend thousands of dollars per year to repair road damage and drainage problems caused by rooting.....

And if you didn't mind watching your whitetail population decline and suffer because the carrying capacity of your land had been seriously compromised, then you would be right in doing nothing.

We tried hunting only for years Mark, you just can't reduce their numbers sufficiently using that method alone.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok I get it that they're destructive, and treated as vermin but...what I don't get it someone catching a bunch of them in a round pen and then killing them!

I can see shoot on sight in the fields but catching them in a pen and then doing it...I think not

Just my way

Dober

They sound like intelligent prairie dogs, only so much worse. (I recall working around hogs before there were so many feral ones. I can't imagine what they must be like when they've gone wild; some of the "domestics" were plenty wild as it was.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hell if i don't feel like gutting them, sometimes i just let the coyotes eat them

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't recall worrying about how we got the rats dead as long as that goal was accomplished. I do think it is kind of cool that one can actually turn the demise of these wild hogs into a sport of sorts, but I sure understand where one wouldn't necessarily feel obligated to make it sporting.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
ruraldoc,
Sure sounds like a good tine to this Yankee!
My ancestors moved here in 1905 and the Civil War was over by then, so I may not be a true Yankee. grin
However I would love to shoot some "big prairie dogs".
Send me a PM if you are serious about having a slaughter,
(I mean hunt). wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Dober,

I read your posts quite often and you seem like a sensible guy. But, with due respect, what rost and these other guys are trying to tell you does not seem to be sinking in. If you woke up one morning and had your entire front yard rooted up by feral hogs, I do believe you would be more than just a little bit pissed off and would want to get rid of them any way possible. They have roto-tilled mine and where I work several times.

This is not about sport. This is about protecting our property and our native wildlife resources. Over 200 species of wildlife utilize acorns for survival through the winter in the southeast U.S. Much of our bottomland hardwoods where oak trees and other hard mast trees still exist is extremely overpopulated by feral hogs. They scarf up all the acorns, pecans, and hickory nuts that carry squirrels, wild turkey, deer, wood ducks, mallard ducks, and a myriad of non-game species through the winter.

They degrade the water of our streams with disease organisms, feces, and increase turbidity with their wallowing in the summer. They are not wildlife and all states should allow the killing of them without having to purchase a hunting license as the are not native wildlife. Licenses are not required to kill feral dogs and cats are they?

Only an integrated approach by using all lethal means including traps, shooting, toxicants, and hunting with dogs by public and private wildlife mgt. and conservation agencies aimed toward TOTAL ERADICATION will bring the feral hog problem to some degree of control in the southeast and Texas.

I don't know where you live but they are moving north. Brim

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 10 invisible), 4,136 guests, and 685 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.