Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Otter Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone here like liver and onions besides me? My wife does, but doesn't like the odor it emits to yield the final result. So, my bride is leaving tomorrow for the weekend to visit the kids and our newest grandson . . . guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow or Friday night? Bison liver, fried onions and smashed taters. Yum.

BTW, I'm not real wild about the after-odor in the house, either, so I'll take the cast iron skillet out to the grill . . . everything's better cooked outside anyhow, right?

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chicken livers with onions and bacon served over rice! Deer liver is a mite strong for me but the dogs love it (of course). They do have to wait 'til summer so the doors and windows can be opened. laugh Beef is good so bison sounds interesting, particularly if young. Enjoy.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I love calf liver and chicken liver, but the best liver I've ever had was in an elk camp in Colorado, years ago.

One of the dudes had killed a nice bull the first day out, so the outfitter took the liver and soaked it overnight in salt water, in a plastic bucket.

The next evening, the cook skinned it, sliced it thinly, breaded it lightly in flour, salt and pepper, and fried it gently in butter in a large cast iron skillet.

Two of the dudes said they could not stand liver, but tried a bite anyway. They proceeded to then clean the platter of elk liver. Said it was fantastic... as it certainly was.

If I'm fortunate enough to kill an elk this Fall, I'll certainly have a big platter of elk liver in camp.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandmother's treatment for beef liver was to soak in milk. Haven't been moved to try it with deer liver for some reason, maybe not much left for the dogs if I do. Might this week now that it came up, thanks guys.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I make a complete pig of myself on liver and heart...just love the stuff! Lightly floured, salt & pepper. Simple and good!

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never really did like eating guts.

Growing up poor in the South, offal was part of the diet. I don't have to eat that crap now, and I don't.:D

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like pork liver the best with young deer second. I will tolerate chicken and rabbit liver. All is best fresh. Tried catfish liver once. Big mistake. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree that pig liver is the best liver of any I have ever tried. Just have to remember that a pig has a gall bladder. Carefull there with that knife.

Here is a real good way to fix liver (to me anyway) if you get tired of fried.

In a covered skillet or pot put some butter or olive oil and then make a bed of RED onions coarse chopped on top of that. Turn the fire on low. Lightly flour the liver slices that are thin sliced. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the liver on the bed of onions and cover the pot. Let the liver cook/steam on the bed of onions for @ 8-10 minutes. Uncover and turn liver over. Never stir up the onion bed. Recover pot and cook for 5-7 minutes more. Liver is done when it is white and quits leaking red juice.

I like the results and if you don't you can always eat the onions. grin

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BCR, milespatton....y'all referring to feral hog liver?

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love liver to excess, prone to gout so I have to really be careful about organ meats.
I don't like chicken liver, beef or pork is good if not sliced to thin and over cooked; same with wild liver. My all time favorite is rabbit liver. I find it very mild, sweet and nutty flavored. It is a good liver to serve to guests. I batter it, deep fry lightly and serve with a Cajun mustard cream dipping sauce. Problem now is that I don't raise rabbits anymore so I don't have the livers.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Ugghhhh..If I'm ever a invited guest to anyone's home for dinner and liver is on the menu, be assured I will then be taking you and your guests out for dinner.

Bacon,hot sauce,onions,ketchup are all worthless when trying to make that yuk palatable.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm curious! I'm missing a treat (I love liver!) if feral hog liver is good, we generally don't even gut our hogs, so the liver is never seen.

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Stan, feral hog. Just pick the liver from one you would eat if you were going to eat one.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hogs that we raised is most of what I ate. When killing hogs, as soon as one was gutted, the liver went to the house and dinner was started. Usually liver, mashed or pan fried potato's, gravy and biscuits. Good eats. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, boys....looks like I have to try some of that.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like liver and venison liver is my favorite. Here's how I cook it:

Fry a pound of bacon until crisp.

Remove the bacon from the skillet.

Flour and season the liver slices and brown in the bacon grease. When the liver is browned, remove it from the grease and place it aside.

Pour one cup of white wine into the skillet with all the bacon grease and drippings. Heat this to simmering and loosen all the pan drippings.

Saut� two yellow onions (sliced) in the wine and bacon drippings.

Now arrange the onions in the bottom of a glass baking dish, place the liver on top of the onions, crumble up the bacon on top of the liver, and pour all the liquid and pan drippings from the skillet over the top of all that.

Cover the baking dish with foil, place in a 350 degree oven and bake until the liver is done.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Love it too. My wife and family refuse to eat it, so I am limited to when they are gone or we are eating out. Sounds like a good meal you have planned. I like hash browns and beer with mine. whistle

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Like everyone else I can only have it when the wife is gone. Which she will be for the next 4 days. WAHOO! I'm going to have to try that bed of onions thing. Usually I saute them seperatly and fry the liver in oil. If the slices are thick enough, pink in the middle is the way to go always. Couple slices of bread to sop up the juice and thats dinner.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like venison liver pan fried dregged in flour with onions and bacon cooked in the bacon grease

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like liver. One out of a good young whitetail is excellent eating. WE fry them up with onions and make gravy and biscuits. Good!

μολὼν λαβέ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,250
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.